|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Max say a change of venue wouldn't matter?
(a) He's stands a better chance with a jury from his hometown.
(b) The newspapers have already tried Bigger.
(c) The entire state feels the same about Bigger's crime.
(d) There isn't anyone in the entire country who doesn't know about the case.
2. What happens when after all the closing statements, the judge says the court would adjourn for only one hour?
(a) People in the courtroom cheer.
(b) Max argues that they need more time to come up with a verdict.
(c) The Judge reminds the court they need to consider everything carefully because a young man's life is at stake.
(d) State's Attorney Buckley laughts and says they won't need that long.
3. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
(a) Fly a plane
(b) Rob a bank
(c) Earn a lot of money
(d) Drive a car
4. What does Jan Erlone want to do for Bigger?
(a) Plan for Bigger's escape from jail.
(b) Introduce him to a lawyer friend from the Labor Defense Office.
(c) Introduce him to a lawyer friend from the District Attorney's Office.
(d) Lie and tell everyone he was the one responsible for Mary's death.
5. What are the three possible penalties Bigger faces?
(a) The death penalty, life in prison, or not less than 14 years in prison.
(b) The death penalty, life in prison, or ten years in prison with 25 years on parole.
(c) Death by the electric chair, death by hanging or, death by lethal injection.
(d) The death penalty, life in prison or restitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Book Three titled?
2. What does Bigger keep throwing out of his cell?
3. What does Bigger give his friends when he sees them the morning after Mary's murder?
4. In Max's statement to the court in Part Three of the novel, how does he portray the 12 million Negros living in the United States?
5. What does Bigger do after he puts Mary to bed?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)