|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Bigger's first night at work, what does he, Mary and Jan do as they drive around the park?
(a) Drink until they all pass out.
(b) Get drunk and read pamphlets
(c) Drink beer, rum and talk about communism.
(d) Talk about Mary's upcoming trip.
2. Who does Bigger decide to blame for Mary's death?
(b) Jan Erlone
(c) Bessie Mears
3. After he returns to work at the Dalton house, what happens when Peggy asks Bigger to tend to the furnace because it has been running too hot?
(a) He tells Peggy he will check the furnace later.
(b) He fears she suspects something and plans on how he will kill her if she discovers anything about Mary.
(c) He hurries down the stairs to shake the ashes.
(d) He tells Peggy the furnace is fine, but he will check it anyway.
4. How did Bigger deal with the first days after his sentencing?
(a) He became angry and shouted at everyone.
(b) He just tried to sleep so he didn't have to think about it.
(c) He shut out everything beyond his cell.
(d) He tried to commit suicide.
5. What does Bigger do after the body is finally disposed of?
(a) He steals money from Mary's purse then goes home to sleep.
(b) He finishes the bottle of rum then goes home to sleep.
(c) He takes the pamphlets Jan gave him and plants them in Mary's room.
(d) He takes Mary's necklace to a pawn shop then goes home with the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bigger tell his friend Gus he could do if he had the chance?
2. Tell whom the lone witness to Bigger's crime is?
3. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
4. What goes through Bigger's mind when he hears the music from the church?
5. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)