|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the novel end?
(a) Bigger wears a "faint, wry, bitter smile" as he listens to the far door clang shut.
(b) He shouts that he is sorry as Max walks away.
(c) He laughs and lays down in his cot.
(d) He finally cries.
2. What does Bigger overhear Mrs. Dalton saying to Peggy when she learns her daughter is gone?
(a) She complains that she took her daughter shopping for expensive clothing that she didn't even pack for her trip.
(b) She admits she isn't comfortable with Bigger living in the house and wonders if he frightened her daughter away.
(c) She expresses her dislike for the people Mary travels with, and is shocked she hadn't even packed her new clothing for the trip.
(d) She expains that she does not trust the people Mary associates herself with, and suspects they have something to do with Mary not being home.
3. What terrorizes the family in the opening of the novel?
(a) A gunman
(b) A rabid cat
(c) Their landlord
(d) A rat
4. In book two when Bigger finally falls asleep after hearing Peggy and Mrs. Dalton talking about Mary, what does he recall in his dream?
(a) How Mrs. Dalton nearly caught him with Mary in her bedroom the night before.
(b) How noisy he was when he took the trunk to the car that morning.
(c) How his mother warned him he'll end up in the gallows if he doesn't straighten out his life.
(d) How noisy he was when he took the trunk the the basement the night before.
5. Who answers the door when Bigger finally knocks on the door of the Dalton house?
(a) The house-keeper.
(b) The butler.
(c) Mary Dalton
(d) Mr. Dalton
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jan Erlone think when he hears Bigger's lie about him?
2. After Bigger returns to the Dalton home with Mary's trunk, he again goes to check the furnace. Who interrupts him?
3. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
4. What happens when Bigger is taken into the coroner's inquest?
5. What does Bigger realize after Mrs. Dalton leaves Mary's bedroom?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)