|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Max's statement to the court in Part Three of the novel, how does he portray the 12 million Negros living in the United States?
(a) As stunted, stripped and held captive.
(b) All three
(c) As a separate nation.
(d) As devoid of political, social, economic and property rights.
2. What does Bigger finally do after wandering the streets looking for food and shelter?
(a) He hides with a group of homeless people living near the river.
(b) He buys a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
(c) He steals a loaf of bread then hides in an alley to eat it.
(d) He steals a loaf of bread then finds an empty apartment to break into.
3. When Bigger returns to the basement to shake down the ashes, what stops him?
(a) He hears someone and is afraid they will see Mary's body.
(b) He sees that her body hasn't completely burned.
(c) The white cat stares at him and makes uncomfortable.
(d) He thinks he sees Mary's face as it looked the night before.
4. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
(a) It is a volatile relationship
(b) They are best friends
(c) They are classmates
(d) They are half brothers
5. How does Bigger sign the ransom note he has written to Mr. Dalton?
(a) "Red", with a drawing of a hammer and sickle
(b) "Better Red than Dead" in red ink
(c) "J. Erlone", with a drawing of a noose
(d) "Red", with a drawing of a noose
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
2. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
3. How many bedrooms does the Thomas family share?
4. What does Bigger contemplate while standing on the rooftop?
5. What does Bigger say about church and religion?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)