|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Dalton leave Mary's bedroom when she comes to check on her daughter?
(a) She smells liquor and thinks her daughter is passed out.
(b) She goes to get her husband.
(c) She thinks her daugher is asleep.
(d) She is afraid of Bigger.
2. Who does Mary ask Bigger to pick up after they leave home his first night working for them?
(a) Her boyfriend, Jan Erlone
(b) Her friend, Joan Erlone
(c) She doesn't ask him to pick up anyone.
(d) Her professor, Mr. Erlone
3. Where do Mary and Jan sit in the car?
(a) The don't, they walk.
(b) In the front seat with Bigger.
(c) The sit in the front and ask Bigger to sit in the back.
(d) In the back seat.
4. When Bigger when arrives at the Dalton home for his interview, what question plagues him as he stands outside the house?
(a) He's concerned he won't be able to do the job.
(b) Whether he should be dressed in nicer clothing.
(c) Whether he should go to the front door or the back.
(d) He's worried they will dislike him because he is black.
5. Where does Bigger say white people live?
(a) Inside fancy mansions
(b) In the ghetto
(c) On the south side of Chicago
(d) Inside him and all other black people
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
2. What is the title of the first part of the novel?
3. What does Bigger do to silence Mary in her room?
4. What kind of relationship does Bigger have with Gus?
5. What two words best describe Bigger in this opening part of the novel?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)