|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps stopping Bigger from shaking down the ashes in the furnace?
(a) He is afraid of burning himself.
(b) Fear and dread
(c) He doesn't know the ashes need to be removed.
(d) He wants to make sure Mary's body is completely burned.
2. What does Bigger say when Bessie asks if he murdered Mary Dalton?
(a) He laughs and says Mary killed herself by jumping in the river and he just watched.
(b) He admits that he killed Mary and threatens Bessie, too.
(c) He admits that he killed Mary and tells Bessie he'll tell everyone she helped him.
(d) He denies killing Mary, but admits he stole money from her.
3. What doe Bigger and Jack think being "Red" is?
(a) It's American communists.
(b) It's a violent race in Russia.
(c) That it is better to be "Red" than dead.
(d) It's to do with Native Americans.
4. In what ways does Bigger act to give the impression he thinks Mary is asleep upstairs in her bedroom?
(a) He eats his breakfast then asks Peggy to go upstairs and find out what is taking Mary so long.
(b) He asks Mrs. Dalton what time Mary's train is supposed to leave, because he doesn't want them to be late.
(c) He loads her trunk, waits by the car, rings the bell, then asks Peggy what he should do since Mary has not come down.
(d) He eats breakfast with the Daltons as though nothing unusual has happened.
5. Before Bigger puts more coal on the fire, what is he certain he sees in the furnace?
(a) Peggy watching from the top of the stairs.
(b) The white cat watching him again.
(c) He can't see anything because the light it out.
(d) The shape of Mary's body beneath the coals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white cat do while Bigger is being questioned by the police and reporters?
2. When Peggy finds Mary is not in her room what does she question Bigger about it, and what does he tell her?
3. After Bigger threatens Gus, who prevents him from attacking the other man?
4. What is Bigger's only regret about what he did to Bessie?
5. What things does Mrs. Dalton question Bigger about when she comes to his room?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)