|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Helda?
2. Where was John Kwang born?
3. Who takes over Eduardo's old job?
4. How long does it take Henry to write his reports in Chapter 13?
5. Whose house was Henry and Lelia supposed to move into before their martial problems began?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
2. How has Kwang changed over the course of the story?
3. Describe Grace.
4. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
5. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
6. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
7. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
8. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
9. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
10. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
Essay Topic 2
A large portion of the action in Native Speaker revolves around politics. Glimmer and Company deals with politics, and John Kwang himself is a politician. Write an essay that explains why politics is important to the plot of Native Speaker. What role does politics play in the lives of Henry, Lelia, John Kwang, and the members of Henry's company? What are the political stances of these characters? Which characters are the most experienced in politics? Which are the least experienced?
Essay Topic 3
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)