|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are The Fermins?
2. How many love seats are in Kwang's private room at the bar?
3. Who shows up while Henry and John Kwang are together at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Who does Lelia work out with?
5. How young is the woman who waits on Kwang, Sherrie, and Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
2. What suspicions does Henry harbor when it comes to Kwang and Sherrie?
3. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
4. What sort of issues did Henry have as a child when he had to learn English?
5. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
6. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
7. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
8. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
9. Describe Grace.
10. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Lelia never shy away from their sexuality. When they make love they are passionate, involved, and dedicated. Write an essay that explores the themes of sex and sexuality within the context of Henry and Lelia's relationship. Why is sex an important part of their relationship? In which instances do they make love? What does their lovemaking process involve? What does their lovemaking signify the first time they do it after Lelia's return from Europe?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)