|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the pills Henry takes?
2. What is the alias Henry begins to go by?
3. What does Lelia worry about in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Katie?
5. About how old is Grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
2. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
3. Describe Grace.
4. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
5. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
6. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
7. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
8. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
9. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
10. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large portion of the action in Native Speaker revolves around politics. Glimmer and Company deals with politics, and John Kwang himself is a politician. Write an essay that explains why politics is important to the plot of Native Speaker. What role does politics play in the lives of Henry, Lelia, John Kwang, and the members of Henry's company? What are the political stances of these characters? Which characters are the most experienced in politics? Which are the least experienced?
Essay Topic 2
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)