|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dish does Lelia cook for Henry in Chapter 12?
2. Does Henry still have problems speaking English?
3. How does Sherrie make Henry feel?
4. Can Chun Ji-yun speak English?
5. What happens to the offices of John Kwang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
2. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
3. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
4. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
5. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
6. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
7. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
8. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
9. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
10. Describe Sherrie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 3
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)