|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Henry and Lelia's sex life?
2. What color scarf is Lelia wearing at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. What is Lelia's occupation?
4. Which tense is Chapter 15 told in?
5. Where did John Kwang work after coming to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
2. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
3. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
4. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
5. How has Kwang changed over the course of the story?
6. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
7. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
8. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
9. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
10. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
Essay Topic 2
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Native Speaker love to eat. Many conversations in the novel take place over a plate of food in some diner, nightclub, or cafe. Write an essay that explores the theme of food and consumption within the context of the story. How many different locations do the characters eat in? What types of things do the characters speak of while dining? Why are these locations significant to the plot? Which of these places does Henry eat at the most?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)