|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Henry and Lelia go in Chapter 15?
2. How much was rent on Eduardo's apartment?
3. How long does it take Henry to write his reports in Chapter 13?
4. Where do Henry, Kwang, and Sherrie go after they leave Sherrie's place?
5. How did Eduardo betray Kwang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
2. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
3. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
4. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
5. What suspicions does Henry harbor when it comes to Kwang and Sherrie?
6. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
7. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
8. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
9. Describe Grace.
10. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the conclusion of Native Speaker, Henry and Lelia's relationship has been for the most part repaired. They no longer harbor secrets about their work and lives. Write an essay that takes an in depth look at Henry and Lelia 's relationship as it evolves over the course of the story. How do these two characters feel about each other as the opening action takes place? How do they feel about each other by the end? Is their relationship believable? What are some of the hardships they conquer?
Essay Topic 2
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)