|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suspects Dennis's "friends" of being federal agents?
2. What does Dennis want from Henry before he leaves the company?
3. Where was John Kwang born?
4. Why does Henry take pills?
5. What happens to Kwang's popularity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sherrie.
2. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
3. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
4. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
5. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
6. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
7. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
8. Describe Lelia's profession.
9. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
10. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity can be found in several different cases throughout Native Speaker. In each case the discretion is handled and resolved differently. Write an essay that explores the theme of infidelity as it is presented in Native Speaker. Which characters cheat on their significant other? When do they cheat? What is the result of the indiscretion.? Are these characters ever punished for what they do? How does cheat impact their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Lelia never shy away from their sexuality. When they make love they are passionate, involved, and dedicated. Write an essay that explores the themes of sex and sexuality within the context of Henry and Lelia's relationship. Why is sex an important part of their relationship? In which instances do they make love? What does their lovemaking process involve? What does their lovemaking signify the first time they do it after Lelia's return from Europe?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)