|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subjects do Henry and John Kwang speak about in the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. Who takes over Eduardo's old job?
3. Who suspects Eduardo of stealing money from Kwang?
4. Who is Arabel?
5. Where are Dennis's "friends" from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
2. Describe Grace.
3. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
4. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
5. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
6. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
7. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
8. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
9. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
10. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
Essay Topic 3
Infidelity can be found in several different cases throughout Native Speaker. In each case the discretion is handled and resolved differently. Write an essay that explores the theme of infidelity as it is presented in Native Speaker. Which characters cheat on their significant other? When do they cheat? What is the result of the indiscretion.? Are these characters ever punished for what they do? How does cheat impact their relationships?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)