|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Henry and Lelia's sex life?
2. How old is Stew?
3. Does Henry still have problems speaking English?
4. What happens to most of the members of the money club?
5. Which subjects do Henry and John Kwang speak about in the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
2. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
3. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
4. How has Kwang changed over the course of the story?
5. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
6. Describe Sherrie.
7. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
8. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
9. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
10. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
Essay Topic 3
By the conclusion of Native Speaker, Henry and Lelia's relationship has been for the most part repaired. They no longer harbor secrets about their work and lives. Write an essay that takes an in depth look at Henry and Lelia 's relationship as it evolves over the course of the story. How do these two characters feel about each other as the opening action takes place? How do they feel about each other by the end? Is their relationship believable? What are some of the hardships they conquer?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)