|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the alias Henry begins to go by?
2. Where are Dennis's "friends" from?
3. Who is Dr. Luzan?
4. Does Henry suspect that his company is responsible for what happened at Kwang's offices?
5. How long have Henry and Lelia been together at this point in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
2. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
3. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
4. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
5. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
6. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
7. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
8. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
9. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
10. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
Essay Topic 2
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
Essay Topic 3
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)