|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subjects do Henry and John Kwang speak about in the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What happened after Kwang left the club the night before?
3. Who takes charge of leading the police through Kwang's damage office?
4. Does Henry tell Lelia about the bombing?
5. Who is Katie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lelia's profession.
2. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
3. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
4. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
5. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
6. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
7. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
8. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
9. What sort of issues did Henry have as a child when he had to learn English?
10. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money plays a major role in the plot of Native Speaker. Without money Kwang would never be able to run rallies or fund his campaign. Write an essay that explores the value of money to the characters of Native Speaker. Which characters value money the most? Which value it the least? Where does most of Kwang's funding come from? In which cases is money spent frivolously throughout the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 3
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)