|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the alias Henry begins to go by?
2. How many people died at Kwang's office?
3. Who is Helda?
4. How does Sherrie react when Henry and Kwang show up at her home?
5. Who shows up while Henry and John Kwang are together at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
2. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
3. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
4. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
5. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
6. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
7. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
8. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
9. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
10. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
Essay Topic 2
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)