|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does Henry say he will work for Hoagland?
2. What is Lelia's occupation?
3. Whose house was Henry and Lelia supposed to move into before their martial problems began?
4. What do most of Kwang's employees do after he is arrested?
5. What happens to the offices of John Kwang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
2. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
3. What sort of issues did Henry have as a child when he had to learn English?
4. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
5. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
6. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
7. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
8. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
9. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
10. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 2
Though Henry is not particularly religious, other characters in Native Speaker are. Religion is prevalent both in the poorer and in the richer neighborhoods of New York City. Write an essay that explores the theme of religion within the context of the story. Are different religions treated equally in Native Speaker? Which characters are the most religious? Which are the least religious? In which cases do the more religious characters pray to their god? What do they pray for?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)