|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old is Grace?
2. How many affairs has Henry had during his marriage to Lelia?
3. What color scarf is Lelia wearing at the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. How old is Stew?
5. How long does it take Henry to write his reports in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
2. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
3. Describe Lelia's profession.
4. Describe Grace.
5. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
6. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
7. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
8. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
9. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
10. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large portion of the action in Native Speaker revolves around politics. Glimmer and Company deals with politics, and John Kwang himself is a politician. Write an essay that explains why politics is important to the plot of Native Speaker. What role does politics play in the lives of Henry, Lelia, John Kwang, and the members of Henry's company? What are the political stances of these characters? Which characters are the most experienced in politics? Which are the least experienced?
Essay Topic 2
The members of Glimmer and Company all have their unique talents. Henry spends his time spying on the Asian community while Jack is responsible for the dirty work that needs to take place. Write an essay the details the duties of all of the members of Glimmer and Company. Who are the members of the company? What are their responsibilities? What are some of their individual talents? How do these utilize these talents in everyday work?
Essay Topic 3
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of racial tension. In the poorer neighborhoods there is often conflict between Koreans, Blacks, and Hispanics. Write an essay that explores and analyzes racial tension as it is presented in Native Speaker. In which instances does conflict typically arise? Why is it mostly the lower income neighborhoods that have to deal with these issues? What typically happens when people stand up for themselves?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)