|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arabel?
2. Who is Dr. Luzan?
3. What is the "Taxi Rule"?
4. Does Henry suspect that his company is responsible for what happened at Kwang's offices?
5. What happened after Kwang left the club the night before?
Short Essay Questions
1. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
2. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
3. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
4. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
5. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
6. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
7. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
8. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
9. Describe Sherrie.
10. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 2
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)