|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are The Fermins?
2. How does Kwang feel when he learns of the deaths at his office?
3. Why is Henry suspicious of Kwang and Sherrie's relationship?
4. Which street does Henry live on?
5. Where do Henry, Kwang, and Sherrie go after they leave Sherrie's place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
2. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
3. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
4. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
5. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
6. Describe Sherrie.
7. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
8. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
9. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
10. Describe Lelia's profession.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 2
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
Essay Topic 3
Money plays a major role in the plot of Native Speaker. Without money Kwang would never be able to run rallies or fund his campaign. Write an essay that explores the value of money to the characters of Native Speaker. Which characters value money the most? Which value it the least? Where does most of Kwang's funding come from? In which cases is money spent frivolously throughout the plot?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)