|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the alias Henry begins to go by?
2. Where does Henry meet with Lelia at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. What color are the pills Henry takes?
4. What happens to most of the members of the money club?
5. Where do Henry and John Kwang go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
2. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
3. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
4. What suspicions does Henry harbor when it comes to Kwang and Sherrie?
5. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
6. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
7. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
8. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
9. How has Kwang changed over the course of the story?
10. Why has it been so long since Henry and Lelia have made love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
Essay Topic 2
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of racial tension. In the poorer neighborhoods there is often conflict between Koreans, Blacks, and Hispanics. Write an essay that explores and analyzes racial tension as it is presented in Native Speaker. In which instances does conflict typically arise? Why is it mostly the lower income neighborhoods that have to deal with these issues? What typically happens when people stand up for themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)