|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry become angry with Hoagland?
2. Who does Lelia work out with?
3. What is a "ggeh"?
4. Why does Henry refuse to quit his job?
5. What does Henry deliver to Eduardo's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of issues did Henry have as a child when he had to learn English?
2. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
3. What does Henry mean by saying that May is from "yangban" stock?
4. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
5. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
6. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
7. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
8. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
9. Describe the process Lelia goes through to make Henry's favorite dish.
10. Why does Henry suspect Glimmer and Company for being responsible for the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the conclusion of Native Speaker, Henry and Lelia's relationship has been for the most part repaired. They no longer harbor secrets about their work and lives. Write an essay that takes an in depth look at Henry and Lelia 's relationship as it evolves over the course of the story. How do these two characters feel about each other as the opening action takes place? How do they feel about each other by the end? Is their relationship believable? What are some of the hardships they conquer?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 3
Money plays a major role in the plot of Native Speaker. Without money Kwang would never be able to run rallies or fund his campaign. Write an essay that explores the value of money to the characters of Native Speaker. Which characters value money the most? Which value it the least? Where does most of Kwang's funding come from? In which cases is money spent frivolously throughout the plot?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)