|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Albrecht?
2. Where is Sherrie's husband?
3. Why does Sherrie become angry while she is out with Kwang and Henry?
4. Why does Henry take pills?
5. Why does Henry become angry with Hoagland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
2. Why is Lelia lamb stew important to Henry?
3. What happens to Eduardo's reputation after he dies?
4. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
5. Why was Helda important to the Kwang family?
6. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
7. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
8. Why does Kwang try to get the waitress at the Korean nightclub to service Henry?
9. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
10. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of racial tension. In the poorer neighborhoods there is often conflict between Koreans, Blacks, and Hispanics. Write an essay that explores and analyzes racial tension as it is presented in Native Speaker. In which instances does conflict typically arise? Why is it mostly the lower income neighborhoods that have to deal with these issues? What typically happens when people stand up for themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
Essay Topic 3
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)