|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Henry plan on betraying John Kwang's trust?
2. What is Henry's occupation?
3. Is John Kwang taller or shorter than Henry?
4. Which country did Wen Zhou believe was the future?
5. Where does Henry go to meet with Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what manner did Henry's father run his businesses when he was alive?
2. Describe Wen Zhou and why he was an interest to Henry's company.
3. What does Flushing look like?
4. What caused Mitt's death?
5. Describe Glimmer and Company's secret apartment.
6. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
7. Describe Henry and Jack's relationship.
8. Describe the tapes Henry listens to.
9. Describe Henry's occupation.
10. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
Essay Topic 3
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)