|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which days does Kwang like to take home printouts to study?
2. What is John Kwang's occupation?
3. Where does Henry go to meet with Jack?
4. Which ethnicity is John Kwang?
5. How far away is the mayoral election when Henry first visits Flushing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
2. How did Henry and Lelia react to their son's death?
3. What does Flushing look like?
4. How does John Kwang dress?
5. Describe John Kwang.
6. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
7. Describe Lelia.
8. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
9. Why is Henry's father never given a name?
10. Describe Henry and Jack's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme of Native Speaker that impacts the lives of Henry, Lelia, and others. Without love, the lives of these characters would be stale, unemotional, and lifeless. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Henry and Lelia? What struggles do they go through to retain their love? Which other characters in Native Speaker experience love and in what capacity?
Essay Topic 2
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
Essay Topic 3
Henry and Lelia never shy away from their sexuality. When they make love they are passionate, involved, and dedicated. Write an essay that explores the themes of sex and sexuality within the context of Henry and Lelia's relationship. Why is sex an important part of their relationship? In which instances do they make love? What does their lovemaking process involve? What does their lovemaking signify the first time they do it after Lelia's return from Europe?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)