|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Lelia in Europe for?
2. Who did Henry's father bring home from the airport?
3. Where did Henry first meet Lelia?
4. What happened to Sophie?
5. What kind of information does Kwang's printouts posses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dennis Hoagland.
2. Describe Sherrie.
3. Describe Chun Ji-yun.
4. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
5. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
6. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
7. Why do Henry and Lelia decide waiting on moving into Henry's father's house is the best course of action?
8. What does the Korean restaurant Henry and Kwang go to look like?
9. What does Henry think of New York City by the end of the story?
10. Describe the mystery woman Henry's father brought from Korea.
Essay Topic 1
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
Essay Topic 2
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
Essay Topic 3
The members of Glimmer and Company all have their unique talents. Henry spends his time spying on the Asian community while Jack is responsible for the dirty work that needs to take place. Write an essay the details the duties of all of the members of Glimmer and Company. Who are the members of the company? What are their responsibilities? What are some of their individual talents? How do these utilize these talents in everyday work?
This section contains 2,168 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)