Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Kwang say about "thick lidded" eyes?
2. What did Henry think about the woman his father brought home from the airport?
3. What kind of personality did Wen Zhou have?
4. Is John Kwang taller or shorter than Henry?
5. What happens after John Kwang finishes speaking at the rally in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry.
2. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
5. Why do some of the protesters blame Kwang for their lost jobs?
6. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
7. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
8. Describe John Kwang.
9. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
10. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
Essay Topic 1
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Native Speaker love to eat. Many conversations in the novel take place over a plate of food in some diner, nightclub, or cafe. Write an essay that explores the theme of food and consumption within the context of the story. How many different locations do the characters eat in? What types of things do the characters speak of while dining? Why are these locations significant to the plot? Which of these places does Henry eat at the most?
Essay Topic 3
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)