|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the members of John Kwang's staff taught Korean phrases?
2. Which feature was Henry's father the most vain about?
3. What is Roy Chillingworth's occupation?
4. Why did the mystery woman Henry's father lived with dislike Lelia?
5. When Janice asks Henry about his occupation, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of issues did Henry have as a child when he had to learn English?
2. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
3. How does Kwang react to losing Eduardo?
4. Why does Lelia worry about the immigrants who have been caught?
5. Describe Lelia.
6. Describe Eduardo.
7. Why does Henry decide to not tell Dennis or Jack about who was really behind the bombing?
8. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
9. Why does Kwang start to call Henry "byong-ho" when they are together?
10. Why does Henry agree to take up Eduardo's old job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of immigration. By the end of the novel it is revealed that many of Kwang's supporters are immigrants. As result many of them are exposed and arrested. Write an essay that explores the theme of immigration within the context of the plot. What stance does Henry take on immigration? Does he support the idea of immigrants coming into the country and taking jobs? What are his opinions when it comes to immigrants starting their own businesses in the poorer neighborhoods of New York?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 3
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
This section contains 2,208 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)