|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "ggeh" club?
2. Where is Jack from?
3. What did Henry think about the woman his father brought home from the airport?
4. Who does Henry work with while working on John Kwang's campaign?
5. When Janice asks Henry about his occupation, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry.
2. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
3. Describe the tapes Henry listens to.
4. Describe Henry and Lelia's marriage.
5. Why is Henry's father never given a name?
6. Describe Wen Zhou and why he was an interest to Henry's company.
7. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
8. What does Flushing look like?
9. Describe Eduardo.
10. Describe Glimmer and Company's secret apartment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Henry is not particularly religious, other characters in Native Speaker are. Religion is prevalent both in the poorer and in the richer neighborhoods of New York City. Write an essay that explores the theme of religion within the context of the story. Are different religions treated equally in Native Speaker? Which characters are the most religious? Which are the least religious? In which cases do the more religious characters pray to their god? What do they pray for?
Essay Topic 2
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
Essay Topic 3
Infidelity can be found in several different cases throughout Native Speaker. In each case the discretion is handled and resolved differently. Write an essay that explores the theme of infidelity as it is presented in Native Speaker. Which characters cheat on their significant other? When do they cheat? What is the result of the indiscretion.? Are these characters ever punished for what they do? How does cheat impact their relationships?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)