|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Henry support the idea of adoption?
2. Why are the members of John Kwang's staff taught Korean phrases?
3. Which country did Wen Zhou believe was the future?
4. In which city did Henry and Lelia first meet?
5. What color is John Kwang's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tapes Henry listens to.
2. Describe Eduardo.
3. Describe Henry's occupation.
4. What does Flushing look like?
5. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
6. Describe Dennis Hoagland.
7. Describe Henry and Jack's relationship.
8. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
9. Describe Henry.
10. How did Henry and Lelia react to their son's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
Essay Topic 2
Money plays a major role in the plot of Native Speaker. Without money Kwang would never be able to run rallies or fund his campaign. Write an essay that explores the value of money to the characters of Native Speaker. Which characters value money the most? Which value it the least? Where does most of Kwang's funding come from? In which cases is money spent frivolously throughout the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)