|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Kwang say about "thick lidded" eyes?
2. What did Henry think about the woman his father brought home from the airport?
3. What kind of personality did Wen Zhou have?
4. Is John Kwang taller or shorter than Henry?
5. What happens after John Kwang finishes speaking at the rally in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry.
2. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
5. Why do some of the protesters blame Kwang for their lost jobs?
6. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
7. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
8. Describe John Kwang.
9. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
10. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
Essay Topic 1
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
Essay Topic 3
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)