|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Henry spend his summers after he got married and had his son?
2. Who is Stew?
3. What kind of information does Kwang's printouts posses?
4. Who did Henry's father bring home from the airport?
5. What happened on Henry's last assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
2. Describe Henry.
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. What does Flushing look like?
5. Describe the mystery woman Henry's father brought from Korea.
6. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
7. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
8. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
9. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
10. How did Henry and Lelia react to their son's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money plays a major role in the plot of Native Speaker. Without money Kwang would never be able to run rallies or fund his campaign. Write an essay that explores the value of money to the characters of Native Speaker. Which characters value money the most? Which value it the least? Where does most of Kwang's funding come from? In which cases is money spent frivolously throughout the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
Essay Topic 3
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)