Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Kwang say about "thick lidded" eyes?
2. What did Henry think about the woman his father brought home from the airport?
3. What kind of personality did Wen Zhou have?
4. Is John Kwang taller or shorter than Henry?
5. What happens after John Kwang finishes speaking at the rally in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry.
2. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
5. Why do some of the protesters blame Kwang for their lost jobs?
6. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
7. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
8. Describe John Kwang.
9. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
10. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
A large portion of the action in Native Speaker revolves around politics. Glimmer and Company deals with politics, and John Kwang himself is a politician. Write an essay that explains why politics is important to the plot of Native Speaker. What role does politics play in the lives of Henry, Lelia, John Kwang, and the members of Henry's company? What are the political stances of these characters? Which characters are the most experienced in politics? Which are the least experienced?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)