Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Henry's father show remorse for his wife's death?
2. What does "Ahjuhma" mean?
3. What happened while Lelia was in Europe?
4. Is Lelia ever aware of Henry's real profession?
5. Does Henry understand why Lelia left him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wen Zhou and why he was an interest to Henry's company.
2. Describe John Kwang.
3. What does Lelia think of the pictures they find in Henry's father's study?
4. How do Henry and Lelia react to the fire at Kwang's offices?
5. Describe Grace.
6. Why is Henry's father never given a name?
7. Describe Eduardo.
8. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
9. How does Henry react when Kwang questions him about his family?
10. What suspicions does Henry harbor when it comes to Kwang and Sherrie?
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
Though Henry is not particularly religious, other characters in Native Speaker are. Religion is prevalent both in the poorer and in the richer neighborhoods of New York City. Write an essay that explores the theme of religion within the context of the story. Are different religions treated equally in Native Speaker? Which characters are the most religious? Which are the least religious? In which cases do the more religious characters pray to their god? What do they pray for?
Henry's father is a character that appears purely in the past. Since he died before the outset of Native Speaker, he only exists in Henry's mind in the form of memories. Write an essay that analyzes Henry's father. Why is he an important character? What role does he play throughout the plot of the story? What are some of the lessons Henry learned from him while growing up? How well did Henry handle the death of his father?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)