|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Wen Zhou?
2. What does "Ahjuhma" mean?
3. What role does Jack play in Henry's job?
4. What incriminating secret does Janice learn about John Kwang?
5. How far away is the mayoral election when Henry first visits Flushing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what manner did Henry's father run his businesses when he was alive?
2. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
3. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
4. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
5. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
6. Describe Henry and Jack's relationship.
7. What caused Mitt's death?
8. Describe Lelia.
9. How does John Kwang dress?
10. Describe Henry and Lelia's marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the conclusion of Native Speaker, Henry and Lelia's relationship has been for the most part repaired. They no longer harbor secrets about their work and lives. Write an essay that takes an in depth look at Henry and Lelia 's relationship as it evolves over the course of the story. How do these two characters feel about each other as the opening action takes place? How do they feel about each other by the end? Is their relationship believable? What are some of the hardships they conquer?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in Native Speaker love to eat. Many conversations in the novel take place over a plate of food in some diner, nightclub, or cafe. Write an essay that explores the theme of food and consumption within the context of the story. How many different locations do the characters eat in? What types of things do the characters speak of while dining? Why are these locations significant to the plot? Which of these places does Henry eat at the most?
Essay Topic 3
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of racial tension. In the poorer neighborhoods there is often conflict between Koreans, Blacks, and Hispanics. Write an essay that explores and analyzes racial tension as it is presented in Native Speaker. In which instances does conflict typically arise? Why is it mostly the lower income neighborhoods that have to deal with these issues? What typically happens when people stand up for themselves?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)