|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Henry and Lelia been together when Henry asked her to marry him?
2. What does Henry ask to borrow from Lelia?
3. Who is Henry?
4. Why was Mitt taunted as a child?
5. Where does Henry go to meet with Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tapes Henry listens to.
2. Why is Henry's father never given a name?
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. How does John Kwang dress?
5. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
6. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
7. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
8. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
9. Describe Henry's occupation.
10. Describe John Kwang.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The members of Glimmer and Company all have their unique talents. Henry spends his time spying on the Asian community while Jack is responsible for the dirty work that needs to take place. Write an essay the details the duties of all of the members of Glimmer and Company. Who are the members of the company? What are their responsibilities? What are some of their individual talents? How do these utilize these talents in everyday work?
Essay Topic 2
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Family and tradition are important elements of Native Speaker. Henry comes from a home where Korean values were respected and observed. John Kwang's background is very much the same in that respect. Write an essay that explores the ideas of family and tradition. Why is family and tradition important to the characters of the story? Which characters value family the most? Which value family the least? Are Henry and Kwang's opinions of family and tradition the same?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)