Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Kwang say about "thick lidded" eyes?
2. What did Henry think about the woman his father brought home from the airport?
3. What kind of personality did Wen Zhou have?
4. Is John Kwang taller or shorter than Henry?
5. What happens after John Kwang finishes speaking at the rally in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry.
2. How skilled was Mitt in the English language?
3. Which employees does Kwang show favoritism to?
4. What does Jack mean by saying that Dennis is not a "doing creature"?
5. Why do some of the protesters blame Kwang for their lost jobs?
6. How do Grace and Pete treat Henry when they see him?
7. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
8. Describe John Kwang.
9. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
10. How were Eduardo and Helda found?
Essay Topic 1
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Native Speaker takes places in New York City. Only on a few occasions do characters travel outside of the city to places like Europe. Write an essay that explains how the setting of New York City contributes to the plot. Why is New York city a significant city? What is special about it? What type of people live in New York City? What is life like in the different neighborhoods?
Essay Topic 3
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)