|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country did Wen Zhou believe was the future?
2. Who is Dennis Hoagland?
3. Which feature was Henry's father the most vain about?
4. Where did Henry spend his summers after he got married and had his son?
5. How long does it take for Henry to get close to Kwang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's occupation.
2. Describe Glimmer and Company's secret apartment.
3. How did Henry and Lelia react to their son's death?
4. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
5. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
6. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
7. Describe Henry.
8. Describe John Kwang.
9. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
10. Describe the mystery woman Henry's father brought from Korea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss and sadness are feelings Henry and Lelia know all too well. When their son, Mitt, died he took a part of their lives with him. Write an essay that explains what happened to Henry and Lelia after Mitt died. What lasting impact did Mitt's death have on their relationship? What are some of the little things in life that remind Henry of his dead son? How do Henry and Lelia feel when they see children Mitt's age?
Essay Topic 2
By the conclusion of Native Speaker, Henry and Lelia's relationship has been for the most part repaired. They no longer harbor secrets about their work and lives. Write an essay that takes an in depth look at Henry and Lelia 's relationship as it evolves over the course of the story. How do these two characters feel about each other as the opening action takes place? How do they feel about each other by the end? Is their relationship believable? What are some of the hardships they conquer?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is a character who internally struggles with his identity. Is he American or Korean? He can never fully answer the question. Write an essay that explores the struggles Henry goes through as he attempts to discover his racial identity. Where did Henry's struggle with identity begin? Who is at fault for the way he views himself? Did his father and mother ever question their identities or Korean heritage?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)