|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Henry understand why Lelia left him?
2. How long has Lelia been a smoker?
3. Who did Henry's father bring home from the airport?
4. What is Henry's occupation?
5. What does Lelia give Henry before she leaves for Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
2. Describe Glimmer and Company's secret apartment.
3. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
4. Describe Dennis Hoagland.
5. Describe Henry's father.
6. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
7. Describe Lelia.
8. Describe Henry and Jack's relationship.
9. Describe Henry.
10. What does Flushing look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity can be found in several different cases throughout Native Speaker. In each case the discretion is handled and resolved differently. Write an essay that explores the theme of infidelity as it is presented in Native Speaker. Which characters cheat on their significant other? When do they cheat? What is the result of the indiscretion.? Are these characters ever punished for what they do? How does cheat impact their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 3
One of the prevalent themes in Native Speaker is that of immigration. By the end of the novel it is revealed that many of Kwang's supporters are immigrants. As result many of them are exposed and arrested. Write an essay that explores the theme of immigration within the context of the plot. What stance does Henry take on immigration? Does he support the idea of immigrants coming into the country and taking jobs? What are his opinions when it comes to immigrants starting their own businesses in the poorer neighborhoods of New York?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)