|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Henry to get close to Kwang?
2. What is a "ggeh" club?
3. What happens when Henry goes to Molly's apartment and tries to contact Lelia?
4. How long has Lelia been a smoker?
5. Which feature was Henry's father the most vain about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wen Zhou and why he was an interest to Henry's company.
2. Describe Henry's father.
3. How does John Kwang dress?
4. Describe Eduardo.
5. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
6. What is Henry's response when he is asked about his profession?
7. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
8. Describe Henry and Lelia's marriage.
9. Describe Dennis Hoagland.
10. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
Essay Topic 2
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 3
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)