|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Ahjuhma" mean?
2. What happened to Sophie?
3. What role does Jack play in Henry's job?
4. What does Lelia give Henry before she leaves for Europe?
5. What happened to Henry's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
2. Describe Glimmer and Company's secret apartment.
3. Describe Henry's occupation.
4. Describe John Kwang.
5. Describe Wen Zhou and why he was an interest to Henry's company.
6. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
7. Describe Henry's father.
8. Describe the mystery woman Henry's father brought from Korea.
9. Describe Henry and Lelia's marriage.
10. Describe the tapes Henry listens to.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
Essay Topic 2
The members of Glimmer and Company all have their unique talents. Henry spends his time spying on the Asian community while Jack is responsible for the dirty work that needs to take place. Write an essay the details the duties of all of the members of Glimmer and Company. Who are the members of the company? What are their responsibilities? What are some of their individual talents? How do these utilize these talents in everyday work?
Essay Topic 3
Lelia is plagued by doubts and problems at the beginning of Native Speaker. She flees to Europe in search of some sort of comfort. While she is there she has an affair with a man she never names. Write an essay that explores the problems Lelia faces at the beginning of the story. What is the state of her relationship with Henry at this point? Why does she hand him the list before she leaves? Why does she not return to Henry after getting back? What other issues does she face?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)