|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Henry goes to Molly's apartment and tries to contact Lelia?
2. Who is Mitt?
3. Where was Henry born?
4. What happens after John Kwang finishes speaking at the rally in Chapter 9?
5. Why did Wen Zhou worry about his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flushing look like?
2. How do Kwang's closest employees treat him?
3. In what manner did Henry's father run his businesses when he was alive?
4. Describe Lelia.
5. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
6. Describe Henry's occupation.
7. Describe Henry's father.
8. List five of the things Leila wrote on the list she gave to Henry before she left for Europe.
9. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
10. Describe Janice's disposition and way of dress.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Kwang is one of the antagonists of Native Speaker. He is a complex man who on the surface seems perfect. However, as the plot of Native Speaker plays out his facade begins to slowly come apart. Write an essay that delves into the psyche of John Kwang. What kind of man is Kwang? Is he prestigious, strong, and intelligent? Or is he in fact weak and easily subjected to the influence of others? In what ways does his character evolve over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Though Henry is not particularly religious, other characters in Native Speaker are. Religion is prevalent both in the poorer and in the richer neighborhoods of New York City. Write an essay that explores the theme of religion within the context of the story. Are different religions treated equally in Native Speaker? Which characters are the most religious? Which are the least religious? In which cases do the more religious characters pray to their god? What do they pray for?
Essay Topic 3
The members of Glimmer and Company all have their unique talents. Henry spends his time spying on the Asian community while Jack is responsible for the dirty work that needs to take place. Write an essay the details the duties of all of the members of Glimmer and Company. Who are the members of the company? What are their responsibilities? What are some of their individual talents? How do these utilize these talents in everyday work?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)