|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of the writing Lelia leaves for Henry?
2. Who did Henry's father bring home from the airport?
3. Does Henry understand why Lelia left him?
4. Where was Henry born?
5. How does Henry get to Flushing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry and Lelia's marriage.
2. Describe Henry.
3. Why did Pete Ichibata make a good spy?
4. Describe Dennis Hoagland.
5. How did Henry and Lelia react to their son's death?
6. Describe John Kwang.
7. Describe the mystery woman Henry's father brought from Korea.
8. Describe Henry's father.
9. Why do Kwang and Henry decide to stop on the way to the restaurant?
10. What did Henry's father think of Lelia when he was alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity can be found in several different cases throughout Native Speaker. In each case the discretion is handled and resolved differently. Write an essay that explores the theme of infidelity as it is presented in Native Speaker. Which characters cheat on their significant other? When do they cheat? What is the result of the indiscretion.? Are these characters ever punished for what they do? How does cheat impact their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Henry works as a spy for a living. The company he works for, Glimmer and Company, deals specifically with political information. Write an essay that gives detail to Henry's occupation. Is Henry's job glorified and glamorous? Is he paid well for his work? What does he usually have to do on an assignment? What type of people does he end up investigating?
Essay Topic 3
Henry spends a great deal of time remembering things from his childhood. In most cases he recalls something his father did or said. Write an essay that explores Henry's childhood. Did Henry have a "normal" childhood? What are some of the happier moments? What are some of the sadder moments? How old was he when his mother died and what impact did her death have on his life?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)