|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
2. Which of the following is the name of the jeweler who arranges for the delivery of illegal letters in "March 1944"?
3. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
4. When discussing the shrine of Cybele near Avellino, Lewis notes that most devotees travel to Avellino by what transportation method?
5. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
2. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
3. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
5. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
6. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
7. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
8. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
9. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
10. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)