|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
2. When the Marshal of Benevento voices concerns that the town is surrounded by bandits, he proposes to go after them with how many Carabinieri?
3. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
4. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
5. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
2. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
3. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
4. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
5. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
6. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
7. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
8. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
9. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
10. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three major reasons for the rampant unemployment and poverty in Naples. Be sure to include specific examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three ways in which Signora Lola manipulates Captain Frazer into coming back to her after he discovers she has been seeing another man. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)