|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
2. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
3. While talking about various salaries Lewis says that his research shows the Questore of Naples makes the most, at what amount per month?
4. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
5. When Lewis visits the suburb in "July 1944" he says that this is where which of the following emperors of Rome murdered his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
2. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
3. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
4. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
5. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
6. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
7. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
8. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
9. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
10. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the relationship between Captain Frazer and Signora Lola; chose three moments in their relationship discussed by Lewis and explain how each illustrates a point about the relationship in general. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the British army's views on brothels with that of the German army's views. What cultural attitudes might explain the difference of opinion? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)