|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following dates does Lewis see a British officer beating an Italian man, which he describes as the most revolting thing he's seen since the war began?
2. After Lewis gives a hungry man some K rations he receives a strip of cloth that the giver insists will render him bulletproof; from what city did this cloth originate?
3. When Eric Williams speaks of his frustrations in the town of Nola, he tells Lewis that the whole town shut down for the Feast of what?
4. When discussing the single Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, Lewis notes that the famous San Gennaro was thrown to the lions here in what year?
5. When Lewis is admitted to the 92nd General Hospital, he is suffering from what illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
2. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
3. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
4. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
5. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
6. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
7. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
8. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
9. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
10. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)