|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of the midget gynecologist in "March 1944"?
2. When a prostitute presents herself at the police station expecting a blanket in return for her services, Lewis is astonished to find that she is how old?
3. When Lewis refuses the blanket-requesting prostitute at the police station, she remains good natured and accepts what other item Lewis offers?
4. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
5. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
2. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
3. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
4. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
5. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
6. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
7. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
8. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
9. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and analyze the change in Neapolitan behavior as autumn approaches. How do their activities differ based on the seasonal change, and why? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)