|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
2. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
3. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
4. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
5. When discussing various salaries, Lewis says the the conversion rate for the Italian lira to British pounds is ____ lire for 1 pound.
Short Essay Questions
1. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
2. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
3. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
4. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
5. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
6. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
7. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
8. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
9. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
10. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using all available instances, compare and contrast the behavior of the American soldiers with that of the Canadians.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the British army's views on brothels with that of the German army's views. What cultural attitudes might explain the difference of opinion? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)