|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
2. When told to tidy up the black market situation Lewis investigates Vittorio Fortuna, a pharmacist known to traffic illegally in what medication?
3. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
4. While in Benevento, Lewis says the Canadians have a bad reputation there, due to the Sergeant-Major's habit of abusing civilians with what?
5. When Lewis is admitted to the 92nd General Hospital, he is suffering from what illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
2. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
3. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
4. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
5. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
6. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
7. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
8. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
9. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
10. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)