|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking about various salaries Lewis says that his research shows the Questore of Naples makes the most, at what amount per month?
2. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
3. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
4. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
5. After taking his informant to dinner, Lewis is asked to visit the bones of St. Andrew to collect a rumored miracle fluid; how much does the informant pay for this privilege?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
2. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
3. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
5. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
6. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
7. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
8. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
9. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
10. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the experience of Lewis and his fellow British soldiers with that of the American Army to which they are assigned when the men first reach Salerno in September. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)