|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his visit to the one Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, what method of transportation does Lewis use?
2. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
3. As Lewis and his companions prepare to land at Salerno, how does Lewis say the lecture by the Intelligence officer could have been summed up?
4. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
5. As Lewis discusses the "Robin Hood" tradition in the Zona di Camorra he notes that the main example is Domenico Lupo; what explanation does Lewis give for the man's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
2. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
3. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
4. How does Lewis describe informers in his October 10, 1943 entry?
5. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
6. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
7. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
8. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
9. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
10. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)