|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
2. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
3. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
4. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
5. As Lewis and his companions prepare to land at Salerno, how does Lewis say the lecture by the Intelligence officer could have been summed up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
2. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
3. According to Lewis, what is astounding when thieves raid the Field Security Offices at Castelammare castle?
4. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
5. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
6. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
7. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
8. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
9. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
10. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and analyze the change in Neapolitan behavior as autumn approaches. How do their activities differ based on the seasonal change, and why? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)