|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
2. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
3. When discussing the awful behavior of French colonial troops as they ravage the countryside, Lewis says doctors in Castro di Volsci treat how many rapes?
4. When discussing the single Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, Lewis notes that the famous San Gennaro was thrown to the lions here in what year?
5. On his visit to the one Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, what method of transportation does Lewis use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
2. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
3. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
4. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
5. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
6. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
7. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
8. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
9. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
10. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)