|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
2. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
3. When Lewis is admitted to the 92nd General Hospital, he is suffering from what illness?
4. While discussing Domenico Lupo's raiding bands Lewis says that one of the biggest issues is the looting of what?
5. When discussing the shrine of Cybele near Avellino, Lewis notes that most devotees travel to Avellino by what transportation method?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
2. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
3. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
4. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
5. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
6. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
7. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
8. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
9. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
10. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss three ways in which Signora Lola manipulates Captain Frazer into coming back to her after he discovers she has been seeing another man. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)