|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
2. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
3. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
4. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
5. After discussing Latarullo's home furnishings and souvenirs, Lewis remarks that his friend reads how many newspapers per day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
2. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
3. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
4. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
5. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
6. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
7. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
8. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
9. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
10. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and analyze the change in Neapolitan behavior as autumn approaches. How do their activities differ based on the seasonal change, and why? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)