|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
2. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
3. When Lewis visits the suburb in "July 1944" he says that this is where which of the following emperors of Rome murdered his mother?
4. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
5. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
2. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
3. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
4. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
5. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
6. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
7. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
8. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
9. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
10. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss three ways in which Signora Lola manipulates Captain Frazer into coming back to her after he discovers she has been seeing another man. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the experience of Lewis and his fellow British soldiers with that of the American Army to which they are assigned when the men first reach Salerno in September. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)