|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
2. As part of the A-Force's plan to use venereal disease (STD) as a weapon, Lewis says that a number of prostitutes are rounded up and taken on a day trip where?
3. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
4. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
5. When discussing Latarullo's return to his "uncle from Rome" funeral job Lewis says that a car can be hired to pick Latarullo up on which of the following areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
2. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
3. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
4. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
5. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
6. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
7. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
8. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
9. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
10. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)