|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
2. After taking his informant to dinner, Lewis is asked to visit the bones of St. Andrew to collect a rumored miracle fluid; how much does the informant pay for this privilege?
3. Which of the following is the name of the jeweler who arranges for the delivery of illegal letters in "March 1944"?
4. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
5. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
2. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
3. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
4. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
5. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
6. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
7. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
8. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
9. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
10. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the British army's views on brothels with that of the German army's views. What cultural attitudes might explain the difference of opinion? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)