|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
2. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
3. When Lewis is ordered to Benevento to take over security for the Canadian FSS, he notes that fortunately it's a temporary arrangement as he is one man replacing how many?
4. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
5. When told to tidy up the black market situation Lewis investigates Vittorio Fortuna, a pharmacist known to traffic illegally in what medication?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
2. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
3. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
4. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
5. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
6. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
7. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
8. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
9. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
10. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the experience of Lewis and his fellow British soldiers with that of the American Army to which they are assigned when the men first reach Salerno in September. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)