|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As part of Lewis' introduction to Benevento he receives a scrap of paper listing the prices for small tasks; what should he expect to pay for help from the principal citizen?
2. In Lewis' description of the Neapolitan suburb he has not visited he contrasts the common greys and reds of Naples with what colors in this suburb?
3. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
4. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
5. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
2. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
3. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
4. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
5. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
6. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
7. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
8. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
9. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
10. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the experience of Lewis and his fellow British soldiers with that of the American Army to which they are assigned when the men first reach Salerno in September. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)