|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
2. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
3. Which of the following is the name of the midget gynecologist in "March 1944"?
4. When discussing Latarullo's return to his "uncle from Rome" funeral job Lewis says that a car can be hired to pick Latarullo up on which of the following areas?
5. When a prostitute presents herself at the police station expecting a blanket in return for her services, Lewis is astonished to find that she is how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
2. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
3. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
4. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
5. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
6. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
7. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
8. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
9. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
10. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)