|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the checkpoint stops three miles outside town, the Canadians discover that most vehicles have stolen tires. How much are the tires worth on the black market?
2. On which of the following dates does Lewis, unable to get to Salerno, decide to take a sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
3. When the orders come through to break up the assault on local girls caught with Allied soldiers, Lewis reports that there are how many men at HQ to deal with the situation?
4. As Lewis discusses the "Robin Hood" tradition in the Zona di Camorra he notes that the main example is Domenico Lupo; what explanation does Lewis give for the man's name?
5. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
2. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
3. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
4. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
5. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
6. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
7. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
8. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
9. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
10. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the reasons for the Camorra crime organization's hold on various regions in and around Naples. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the British army's views on brothels with that of the German army's views. What cultural attitudes might explain the difference of opinion? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,859 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)