|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
2. When discussing the shrine of Cybele near Avellino, Lewis notes that most devotees travel to Avellino by what transportation method?
3. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
4. In his April 1, 1944 entry Lewis spends time Signora Lola and says that she looks wonderful, having put on some weight due to the return of what food to Naples?
5. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
2. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
3. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
4. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
5. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
6. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
7. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
8. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
9. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
10. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)