|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
2. On July 12, 1944 Lewis notes that he has visited every town within 30 miles of Naples with what exception?
3. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
4. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
5. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
2. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
3. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
4. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
5. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
6. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
7. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
8. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
9. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the reasons for the Camorra crime organization's hold on various regions in and around Naples. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three major reasons for the rampant unemployment and poverty in Naples. Be sure to include specific examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)