|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
2. While discussing Domenico Lupo's raiding bands Lewis says that one of the biggest issues is the looting of what?
3. Which of the following is the name of the jeweler who arranges for the delivery of illegal letters in "March 1944"?
4. After hearing the Marshal of Benevento's concerns about bandits outside the town, Lewis discusses the problem with the local schoolmaster; what is the man's name?
5. When discussing various salaries, Lewis says the the conversion rate for the Italian lira to British pounds is ____ lire for 1 pound.
Short Essay Questions
1. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
2. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
3. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
5. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
6. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
7. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
8. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
9. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
10. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the relationship between Captain Frazer and Signora Lola; chose three moments in their relationship discussed by Lewis and explain how each illustrates a point about the relationship in general. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss three ways in which Signora Lola manipulates Captain Frazer into coming back to her after he discovers she has been seeing another man. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)