|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals does Lewis meet at Zi' Teresa's restaurant at the end of the November 26, 1943 entry?
2. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
3. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
4. When Lewis is forced to ask Norah Gemelli for help with a case, what name does she give him?
5. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
2. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
3. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
4. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
5. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
6. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
7. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
8. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
9. In "December 1943" why does Lewis say he feels uncomfortable conducting arrests?
10. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)