|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis first sets up his intelligence-gathering operation in Naples, what percentage of the information he finds does he deem "numbingly unimportant"?
2. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
3. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
4. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
5. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
2. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
3. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
4. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
5. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
6. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
7. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
8. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
9. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
10. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)