|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis talks about the villainy common to local police chiefs, he mentions which one in particular who has recently had several charges brought against him?
2. When Lewis asks Norah Gemelli for help on a case he mentions that she lives on which of the following affluent streets?
3. Lewis notes in his November 25, 1943 entry that there is an aversion in Italy to bothering which of the following species of bird?
4. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
5. After his discussion of corrupt law enforcement, Lewis visits which of the following men who has been arrested by a corrupt police chief on ridiculous charges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
2. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
3. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
4. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
5. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
6. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
7. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
8. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
9. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
10. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three major reasons for the rampant unemployment and poverty in Naples. Be sure to include specific examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using all available instances, compare and contrast the behavior of the American soldiers with that of the Canadians.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)