|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
2. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
3. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
4. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
5. Which of the following is the name of the midget gynecologist in "March 1944"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
2. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
3. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
4. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
5. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
6. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
7. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
8. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
9. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
10. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)