|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis visits the house set up--illegally--by Captain Frazer and Signora Lola, he notes that it is badly damaged from an air raid that happened on which date?
2. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
3. When talking about the various local law enforcement agencies, which of the following does Lewis say is the Italian police force?
4. In his descriptions of the small towns around Naples, Lewis mentions that the new mayors of these towns who have been appointed by the Allies are called what?
5. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
2. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
3. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
4. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
5. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
6. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
7. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
8. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
9. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
10. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
Essay Topic 1
Explain and analyze the change in Neapolitan behavior as autumn approaches. How do their activities differ based on the seasonal change, and why? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the relationship between Captain Frazer and Signora Lola; chose three moments in their relationship discussed by Lewis and explain how each illustrates a point about the relationship in general. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,791 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)