|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the orders come through to break up the assault on local girls caught with Allied soldiers, Lewis reports that there are how many men at HQ to deal with the situation?
2. When Lewis is invited to go on a family expedition to gather greens and hunt birds with Ingeniere Crespi, the man's son goes along; what is the boy's name?
3. Which of the following items does Lewis NOT lose in the flood during his stay in the hospital?
4. An informant, Prince A, visits the soldiers with his 24-year old sister to ask if they can arrange for her to enter an army brothel; what is the girl's name?
5. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
2. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
3. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
4. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
5. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
6. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
7. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
8. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
9. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
10. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)