|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
2. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
3. Lewis is frustrated when no one will admit they've seen anything during his investigation of what crime, first reported to him by one of the scugnizzi?
4. When talking about Neapolitan vendettas, Lewis mentions a boy who ambushed and killed the man who had killed his father before his birth; how old is the boy?
5. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
2. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
3. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
4. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
5. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
6. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
7. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
8. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
9. In "December 1943" why does Lewis say he feels uncomfortable conducting arrests?
10. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)