|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
2. Lewis travels to Pomigliano to arrest Mussolini's former Press Secretary, a man by what name?
3. Which of the following activities has been legally resumed in December 1943?
4. In "January 1944" which of the following is NOT a small town outside Naples also included in the list of Lewis' responsibilities?
5. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
2. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
3. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
4. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
5. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
6. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
7. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
8. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
9. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
10. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using all available instances, compare and contrast the behavior of the American soldiers with that of the Canadians.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the relationship between Captain Frazer and Signora Lola; chose three moments in their relationship discussed by Lewis and explain how each illustrates a point about the relationship in general. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)