|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items does Lewis NOT lose in the flood during his stay in the hospital?
2. Lewis and his companions enter the catacombs behind San Gennaro on reports that German SS officers are hidden there. How many galleries are in this catacomb?
3. In his descriptions of the small towns around Naples, Lewis mentions that the new mayors of these towns who have been appointed by the Allies are called what?
4. When the orders come through to break up the assault on local girls caught with Allied soldiers, Lewis reports that there are how many men at HQ to deal with the situation?
5. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
2. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
3. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
4. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
5. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
6. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
7. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
8. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
9. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
10. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)