|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis is invited to go on a family expedition to gather greens and hunt birds with Ingeniere Crespi, the man's son goes along; what is the boy's name?
2. What method of transportation does Lewis use on his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
3. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
4. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
5. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
2. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
3. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
4. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
5. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
6. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
7. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
8. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
9. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
10. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using all available instances, compare and contrast the behavior of the American soldiers with that of the Canadians.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the British army's views on brothels with that of the German army's views. What cultural attitudes might explain the difference of opinion? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)