|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Days after the checkpoint three miles outside town, the Marshal is offended when Lewis refuses his gift of what?
2. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
3. On which of the following dates are Lewis and other men attacked via plane while exploring the Temple of Neptune?
4. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
5. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
2. In "December 1943" why does Lewis say he feels uncomfortable conducting arrests?
3. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
4. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
5. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
6. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
7. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
8. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
9. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
10. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)