|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon his return to Naples to find sick section members, Lewis says that he is also ill with which of the following?
2. Lewis talks about two large air raids that took place in August, resulting in Naples being extremely short on what in October 1943?
3. When Lewis visits the prison during his vendetta investigation he notes that newly received prisoners are fingerprinted and then told to wipe the ink off their hands where?
4. Right before heading back to Naples after the trip with the Crespi family, there is a picnic of all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. In "October 1944" Lewis says that the weather is wonderful at that time of year and that it is common October sport to hunt migrant birds headed to which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
2. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
3. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
4. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
5. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
6. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
7. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
8. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
9. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
10. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the reasons for the Camorra crime organization's hold on various regions in and around Naples. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Using all available instances, compare and contrast the behavior of the American soldiers with that of the Canadians.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)