|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing Mussolini's Press Secretary Lewis states that the man is wanted for the murder of which of the following individuals, a former rival of Mussolini?
2. After duly investigating the Forza Italia! political movement, Lewis returns to his car to find how many men waiting for him?
3. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
4. Lewis travels to Pomigliano to arrest Mussolini's former Press Secretary, a man by what name?
5. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
2. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
3. According to Lewis, what is astounding when thieves raid the Field Security Offices at Castelammare castle?
4. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
5. How does Lewis describe informers in his October 10, 1943 entry?
6. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
7. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
8. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
9. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
10. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)