|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lewis gives a hungry man some K rations he receives a strip of cloth that the giver insists will render him bulletproof; from what city did this cloth originate?
2. Lewis sees a man in Capaccio, whom he describes as an Italian Father Christmas, selling what at a table in his garden?
3. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
4. In the January 1, 1944 entry Lewis says that any Allied goods stolen are sold openly on which of the following streets?
5. What method of transportation does Lewis use on his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
2. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
3. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
4. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
5. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
6. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
7. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
8. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
9. In "December 1943" why does Lewis say he feels uncomfortable conducting arrests?
10. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the behavior of the American troops during the September 14 entry when they believe they are to be abandoned in Salerno. Cite and explain three possible reasons for their behavior, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)