|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items does Lewis NOT lose in the flood during his stay in the hospital?
2. Lewis travels to Pomigliano to arrest Mussolini's former Press Secretary, a man by what name?
3. As he discusses the frustrations of the Italian boys who have lost the local girls to soldiers, Lewis says that an American soldier can offer a girl all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. What is the name of the plaza where the Palace is located, in which Lewis' unit is installed when he reunites with them in Naples?
5. In the final entry for "January 1944" Lewis says that how many operational maps are found in a warehouse, where civilians are about to use them to make a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
2. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
3. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
4. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
5. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
6. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
7. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
8. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
9. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
10. According to Lewis, what is astounding when thieves raid the Field Security Offices at Castelammare castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the experience of Lewis and his fellow British soldiers with that of the American Army to which they are assigned when the men first reach Salerno in September. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lifestyles of rich Neapolitans with that of the poor. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)