|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
2. Lewis is frustrated when no one will admit they've seen anything during his investigation of what crime, first reported to him by one of the scugnizzi?
3. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
4. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
5. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
2. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
3. How does Lewis describe informers in his October 10, 1943 entry?
4. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
5. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
6. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
7. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
8. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
9. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
10. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Marshal Altamura with one other member of law enforcement in the book. In what ways does Altamura differ from every other member of law enforcement that Lewis encounters? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)