|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
2. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
3. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
4. When an attacker dressed as an American pulls a .45 automatic at a checkpoint, which of the following men is shot through the shoulder at close range?
5. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
2. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
3. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
4. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
5. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
6. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
7. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
8. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
9. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
10. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)