|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing incredible feats of piracy, Lewis says that what objects have been stolen from the region of Agropoli?
2. Early in the book, on which of the following dates does Lewis state that the war arrives?
3. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
4. When Sergeant Moore returns from Salerno, Lewis' group is told there is not enough room for them in the command car; with what commodity is the command car full?
5. When an attacker dressed as an American pulls a .45 automatic at a checkpoint, which of the following men is shot through the shoulder at close range?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
2. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
3. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
4. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
5. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
6. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
7. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
8. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
9. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
10. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the two main reasons why Lewis and his fellow British officers are assigned to the American unit in Italy. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)