|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
2. What time frame does Lewis give for the completion of the thieves' raid on Castellammare castle to steal wheels off vehicles?
3. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
4. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
5. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
2. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
3. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
4. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
5. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
6. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
7. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
8. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
9. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
10. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the reputation Lewis get in Benevento as being afflicted with the evil eye. What significance does this have, and what does it say about the townspeople's attitude toward him? Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts about Sauro, the German boy-spy, with that of his thoughts on one other prisoner of your choice. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)