|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis and his companions enter the catacombs behind San Gennaro on reports that German SS officers are hidden there. How many galleries are in this catacomb?
2. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
3. Anna Consomata reveals during her discussion with Lewis that she agreed to give false testimony because she was the mistress of which of the following?
4. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
5. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
2. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
3. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
4. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
5. According to Lewis, what is astounding when thieves raid the Field Security Offices at Castelammare castle?
6. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
7. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
8. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
9. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
10. How does Lewis describe informers in his October 10, 1943 entry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the reasons for the Camorra crime organization's hold on various regions in and around Naples. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and explain Lewis' relationship with the wily Lattarullo; cite three examples that illustrate their relationship and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, cite two superstitious or religious practices of the Neapolitan people and explain Lewis' reaction to each. Include supporting information from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)