|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis returns to Naples in "October 1944" he finds that several members of his section are ill; Moore has which of the following illnesses?
2. When thieves raid the Field Security Office at Castellammare castle to steal wheels off vehicles, how high are the walls they have to climb to do so?
3. In his discussion of his duties Lewis mentions that he is expected to make daily log entries in his Army Book no. 466. At what time each day are these logs to be discussed?
4. What time frame does Lewis give for the completion of the thieves' raid on Castellammare castle to steal wheels off vehicles?
5. In the December 9, 1943 entry Lewis talks about looking out over the formal gardens of what Villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
2. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
3. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
4. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
5. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
6. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
7. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
8. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
9. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
10. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three major reasons for the rampant unemployment and poverty in Naples. Be sure to include specific examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Lewis' views on marriage application investigations when the task is first assigned to him with that of his views on these applications at the conclusion of the book. Include supporting information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)