|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing Mussolini's Press Secretary Lewis states that the man is wanted for the murder of which of the following individuals, a former rival of Mussolini?
2. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
3. As "November 1943" opens, Lewis laments that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be reduced to what amount per week?
4. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
5. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
2. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
3. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
4. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
5. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
6. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
7. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
8. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
9. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
10. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and analyze the A-Force plot to use prostitutes to spread venereal disease to German soldiers. What strengths and weaknesses does the plan have? Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,746 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)