|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
2. In the December 9, 1943 entry Lewis talks about looking out over the formal gardens of what Villa?
3. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
4. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
5. When talking about Neapolitan vendettas, Lewis mentions a boy who ambushed and killed the man who had killed his father before his birth; how old is the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
2. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
3. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
4. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
5. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
6. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
7. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
8. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
9. For what reason are girls assaulted by local boys at the Villa Nazionale during "October 1944"?
10. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the reasons for the Camorra crime organization's hold on various regions in and around Naples. Include supporting information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis' thoughts and views on the Neapolitan people at the beginning of the book with his thoughts and views of them at the conclusion of the book. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)