|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
2. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
3. In his April 1, 1944 entry Lewis spends time Signora Lola and says that she looks wonderful, having put on some weight due to the return of what food to Naples?
4. Which of the following individuals does Lewis meet at Zi' Teresa's restaurant at the end of the November 26, 1943 entry?
5. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
2. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
3. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
4. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
5. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
6. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
7. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
8. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
9. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
10. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the relationship between Captain Frazer and Signora Lola; chose three moments in their relationship discussed by Lewis and explain how each illustrates a point about the relationship in general. Include quotes and supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss three major reasons for the rampant unemployment and poverty in Naples. Be sure to include specific examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and discuss three main challenges in the Allied attempts to stop the black market in Naples and Lewis' views on each. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,837 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)