|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 8 weeks.
2. When Lewis talks about Allied cargo stolen from the Port of Naples, he says that according to estimates the equivalent of how much cargo is stolen?
(a) 1 in 3 ships.
(b) 2 of 7 ships.
(c) 1 in 4 ships.
(d) 3 of 5 ships.
3. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Separatist Communists.
(b) Social Democrats.
(c) Orthodox Communists.
(d) Christian Democrats.
4. How old is the boy in "March 1944" who arrives at the 92nd General Hospital missing 3 fingers?
5. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
(a) March 15.
(b) March 19.
(c) March 24.
(d) March 2.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis refuses the blanket-requesting prostitute at the police station, she remains good natured and accepts what other item Lewis offers?
2. In his discussion of the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that after arriving in Avellino devotees complete their journey to the shrine by what method?
3. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
4. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
5. As Lewis makes himself acquainted with Benevento, he says that the new Marshal of the town is a man by what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
2. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
3. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
4. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
5. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
6. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
7. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
8. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
9. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
10. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)