|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
2. As part of the A-Force's plan to use venereal disease (STD) as a weapon, Lewis says that a number of prostitutes are rounded up and taken on a day trip where?
(c) San Vincenzo.
3. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
4. During their visit to the bones of St. Andrew, the informant tells Lewis that the bones excrete the rejuvenating fluid how many times per year?
5. When a prostitute presents herself at the police station expecting a blanket in return for her services, Lewis is astonished to find that she is how old?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis visits the house set up--illegally--by Captain Frazer and Signora Lola, he notes that it is badly damaged from an air raid that happened on which date?
2. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
3. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
4. In his discussion of the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that after arriving in Avellino devotees complete their journey to the shrine by what method?
5. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
2. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
3. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
4. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
5. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
6. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
7. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
8. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
9. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
10. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)