|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After taking his informant to dinner, Lewis is asked to visit the bones of St. Andrew to collect a rumored miracle fluid; how much does the informant pay for this privilege?
(a) 800 lire.
(b) 200 lire.
(c) 50 lire.
(d) 150 lire.
2. As part of Lewis' introduction to Benevento he receives a scrap of paper listing the prices for small tasks; what should he expect to pay for help from the principal citizen?
(c) 200 lire.
3. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
(a) 450 lire.
(b) 240 lire.
(c) 380 lire.
(d) 875 lire.
4. After Mt. Vesuvius erupts Lewis visits a local seismologist, Professor Saraceno, for information about the event. With what does Lewis pay the man for his advice?
(a) Corned beef.
(c) 2 apples.
(d) 100 lire.
5. When Captain Frazer and Signora Lola finally become engaged, he is horrified at having to participate in an Easter parade down which of the following street?
(a) Via Toledo.
(b) Via Venezia.
(c) Via Chiaia.
(d) Via Roma.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
2. In Lewis' description of the Neapolitan suburb he has not visited he contrasts the common greys and reds of Naples with what colors in this suburb?
3. Lewis visits Loreto in the hospital and is told by the nurse taking care of him that Loreto will last how long, at the most?
4. As "June 1944" opens Lewis remarks that the inevitable has finally happened, as how many Moors have been murdered in a village near Cancello?
5. After discussing Latarullo's home furnishings and souvenirs, Lewis remarks that his friend reads how many newspapers per day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
2. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
3. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
4. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
5. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
6. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
7. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
8. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
9. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
10. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)