|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Orthodox Communists.
(b) Separatist Communists.
(c) Social Democrats.
(d) Christian Democrats.
2. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
(a) 1000 lire.
(b) 200 lire.
(c) 500 lire.
(d) 100 lire.
3. When Lewis goes on a picnic with Frazer and Signora Lola, which of the following places do they visit?
(d) San Vincenzo.
4. In his April 1, 1944 entry Lewis spends time Signora Lola and says that she looks wonderful, having put on some weight due to the return of what food to Naples?
(d) White bread.
5. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 2000 lire.
(c) 800 lire.
(d) 1500 lire.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lewis moves in to the Hotel Vesuvio he invites his new acquaintances to a dinner of what army ration, which none of them have tasted before?
2. While discussing Latarullo's home furnishings Lewis describes a dingy piece of rock, supposedly from the sanctuary of which saint?
3. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
4. When discussing the single Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, Lewis notes that the famous San Gennaro was thrown to the lions here in what year?
5. When a prostitute presents herself at the police station expecting a blanket in return for her services, Lewis is astonished to find that she is how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
2. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
3. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
4. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
5. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
6. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
7. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
8. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
9. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
10. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)