|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
2. As Lewis discusses the "Robin Hood" tradition in the Zona di Camorra he notes that the main example is Domenico Lupo; what explanation does Lewis give for the man's name?
3. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
4. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
5. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
2. When Lewis is ordered to Benevento to take over security for the Canadian FSS, he notes that fortunately it's a temporary arrangement as he is one man replacing how many?
3. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
4. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
5. Lewis visits Loreto in the hospital and is told by the nurse taking care of him that Loreto will last how long, at the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
2. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
3. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
4. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
5. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
6. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
7. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
8. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
9. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
10. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)