|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
2. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
(a) 400 lire.
(b) 200 lire.
(c) 60 lire.
(d) 100 lire.
3. When Lewis and Evans are sent to search through Prince Pignatelli's apartment, they find a glass of wine left behind with what substance in it?
(b) Gold leaf.
4. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
5. When told to tidy up the black market situation Lewis investigates Vittorio Fortuna, a pharmacist known to traffic illegally in what medication?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Captain Frazer and Signora Lola finally become engaged, he is horrified at having to participate in an Easter parade down which of the following street?
2. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
3. When discussing the awful behavior of French colonial troops as they ravage the countryside, Lewis says doctors in Castro di Volsci treat how many rapes?
4. As "June 1944" opens Lewis remarks that the inevitable has finally happened, as how many Moors have been murdered in a village near Cancello?
5. After taking his informant to dinner, Lewis is asked to visit the bones of St. Andrew to collect a rumored miracle fluid; how much does the informant pay for this privilege?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
2. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
3. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
4. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
5. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
6. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
7. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
8. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
9. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
10. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)