|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 8 weeks.
2. When discussing Latarullo's return to his "uncle from Rome" funeral job Lewis says that a car can be hired to pick Latarullo up on which of the following areas?
(a) Piazza Navona.
(b) Piazza di Spagna.
(c) Piazza Republica.
(d) Piazza Dante.
3. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
(a) 300 years.
(b) 2000 years.
(c) 1500 years.
(d) 600 years.
4. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
(a) 2875 lire.
(b) 3063 lire.
(c) 4235 lire.
(d) 1425 lire.
5. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 100 lire.
(c) 1300 lire.
(d) 1000 lire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
2. When discussing the awful behavior of French colonial troops as they ravage the countryside, Lewis says doctors in Castro di Volsci treat how many rapes?
3. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
4. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
5. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
2. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
3. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
4. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
5. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
6. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
7. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
8. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
9. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
10. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)