|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following insects plagues Hotel Vesuvio as "September 1944" opens?
(a) Bed bug.
2. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
3. While discussing Domenico Lupo's raiding bands Lewis says that one of the biggest issues is the looting of what?
(a) Military bases.
4. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 8 weeks.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 7 years.
5. When Lewis is ordered to Benevento to take over security for the Canadian FSS, he notes that fortunately it's a temporary arrangement as he is one man replacing how many?
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
2. When Lewis first meets the man who will become his best informant, Vincente Lattarullo, he reports that the man is a member of which of the following professions?
3. When an attacker dressed as an American pulls a .45 automatic at a checkpoint, which of the following men is shot through the shoulder at close range?
4. On which of the following dates is Lewis discharged from the American Evacuation Hospital after his illness?
5. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
2. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
3. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
4. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
5. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
6. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
7. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
8. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
9. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
10. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)