|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
(a) 4235 lire.
(b) 1425 lire.
(c) 3063 lire.
(d) 2875 lire.
2. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 2000 lire.
(c) 1500 lire.
(d) 800 lire.
3. When Lewis goes on a picnic with Frazer and Signora Lola, which of the following places do they visit?
(d) San Vincenzo.
4. When Eric Williams speaks of his frustrations in the town of Nola, he tells Lewis that the whole town shut down for the Feast of what?
5. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
Short Answer Questions
1. When told to tidy up the black market situation Lewis investigates Vittorio Fortuna, a pharmacist known to traffic illegally in what medication?
2. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
3. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
4. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
5. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
2. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
3. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
4. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
5. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
6. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
7. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
8. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
9. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
10. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)