|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing the single Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, Lewis notes that the famous San Gennaro was thrown to the lions here in what year?
(a) AD 305.
(b) AD 128.
(c) AD 236.
(d) AD 498.
2. After taking his informant to dinner, Lewis is asked to visit the bones of St. Andrew to collect a rumored miracle fluid; how much does the informant pay for this privilege?
(a) 200 lire.
(b) 150 lire.
(c) 800 lire.
(d) 50 lire.
3. When Lewis is admitted to the 92nd General Hospital, he is suffering from what illness?
(a) Yellow Fever.
4. On which of the following dates in "March 1944" does Mt. Vesuvius erupt?
(a) March 15.
(b) March 2.
(c) March 24.
(d) March 19.
5. When discussing the continued success of the black market Lewis says the Psychological Warfare Bureau estimates what percentage of Neapolitan income derives from stolen Allied goods?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
2. While discussing Latarullo's home furnishings Lewis describes a dingy piece of rock, supposedly from the sanctuary of which saint?
3. In his discussion of the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that after arriving in Avellino devotees complete their journey to the shrine by what method?
4. When Lewis visits the house set up--illegally--by Captain Frazer and Signora Lola, he notes that it is badly damaged from an air raid that happened on which date?
5. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the result of Giovanni Patierno's letter-carrying activity when he is apprehended.
2. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
3. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
5. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
6. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
7. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
8. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
9. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
10. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)