|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
(a) Bean-shaped bivalves.
(b) Raw shellfish.
(c) Iced octopus.
2. While discussing Domenico Lupo's raiding bands Lewis says that one of the biggest issues is the looting of what?
(d) Military bases.
3. When discussing various salaries, Lewis says the the conversion rate for the Italian lira to British pounds is ____ lire for 1 pound.
4. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
(a) 1500 years.
(b) 600 years.
(c) 2000 years.
(d) 300 years.
5. When discussing the single Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, Lewis notes that the famous San Gennaro was thrown to the lions here in what year?
(a) AD 498.
(b) AD 305.
(c) AD 236.
(d) AD 128.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his discussion of the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that after arriving in Avellino devotees complete their journey to the shrine by what method?
2. As part of the A-Force's plan to use venereal disease (STD) as a weapon, Lewis says that a number of prostitutes are rounded up and taken on a day trip where?
3. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
4. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
5. When the Marshal of Benevento voices concerns that the town is surrounded by bandits, he proposes to go after them with how many Carabinieri?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
2. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
3. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
4. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
5. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
6. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
7. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
8. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
9. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
10. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)