|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing Latarullo's return to his "uncle from Rome" funeral job Lewis says that a car can be hired to pick Latarullo up on which of the following areas?
(a) Piazza Republica.
(b) Piazza Navona.
(c) Piazza di Spagna.
(d) Piazza Dante.
2. After hearing the Marshal of Benevento's concerns about bandits outside the town, Lewis discusses the problem with the local schoolmaster; what is the man's name?
3. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
4. As part of Lewis' introduction to Benevento he receives a scrap of paper listing the prices for small tasks; what should he expect to pay for help from the principal citizen?
(a) 200 lire.
5. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
(a) Lago Cuomo.
(b) Lago Averno.
(c) Lago Garda.
(d) Lago Maggiore.
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
2. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
3. While talking about various salaries Lewis says that his research shows the Questore of Naples makes the most, at what amount per month?
4. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
5. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
2. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
3. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
4. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
5. What reason does Signora Lola give for the odd behavior of a man in a cafe during the day trip to Capri?
6. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
7. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
8. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
9. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)