|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As part of Lewis' introduction to Benevento he receives a scrap of paper listing the prices for small tasks; what should he expect to pay for help from the principal citizen?
(c) 200 lire.
2. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
(c) Brain damaged.
3. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
(c) Monte Amiata.
4. Lewis visits Loreto in the hospital and is told by the nurse taking care of him that Loreto will last how long, at the most?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 3 hours.
5. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
(a) Cancello Field Hospital.
(b) Maugham Field Hospital.
(c) Cancello National Hospital.
(d) Maugham National Hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
2. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
3. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
4. After Lewis moves in to the Hotel Vesuvio he invites his new acquaintances to a dinner of what army ration, which none of them have tasted before?
5. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
2. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
3. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
4. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
5. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
6. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
7. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
8. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
9. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
10. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)