|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
(a) 1425 lire.
(b) 4235 lire.
(c) 3063 lire.
(d) 2875 lire.
2. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 8 weeks.
(d) 12 days.
3. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Separatist Communists.
(b) Orthodox Communists.
(c) Christian Democrats.
(d) Social Democrats.
4. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
5. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing the Marshal of Benevento's concerns about bandits outside the town, Lewis discusses the problem with the local schoolmaster; what is the man's name?
2. In his discussion of the marriage application investigations he must conduct, Lewis says that ___ out of 10 Italian girls have lost their men to the war?
3. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
4. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
5. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the A-Force's plot when they attempt to use Italian prostitutes against the Germans and why the plan fails.
2. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
3. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. Describe the murder of five Moors as "June 1944" opens.
5. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
6. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
7. What revelation does Lewis have about the young girl who comes to the police station asking for her weekly blanket in "August 1944"?
8. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
9. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)