|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
2. The attendants who pass out the rejuvenating fluid when Lewis and his informant visit the bones of St. Andrew suffer what affliction, deemed to be lucky?
3. Toward the end of "July 1944" Lewis says that about how many people live in a single acre in the district of Vicaria?
4. When Eric Williams speaks of his frustrations in the town of Nola, he tells Lewis that the whole town shut down for the Feast of what?
5. When Lewis is admitted to the 92nd General Hospital, he is suffering from what illness?
(a) Yellow Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
2. As "June 1944" opens Lewis remarks that the inevitable has finally happened, as how many Moors have been murdered in a village near Cancello?
3. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
4. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
5. Which of the following is the name of the midget gynecologist in "March 1944"?
Short Essay Questions
1. During April 1944 what reason does Lewis give for the huge number of prostitutes in Naples?
2. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
3. When Lewis recounts the tale of the five British soldiers who managed to escape from German prison camps, what method does he say the soldiers used?
4. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
5. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
6. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
7. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
8. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
9. What result does Lewis find when he interviews Contessa della Peruta, who has applied to marry a British man?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)