|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
(a) Lago Maggiore.
(b) Lago Cuomo.
(c) Lago Averno.
(d) Lago Garda.
2. On which of the following dates is Lewis discharged from the American Evacuation Hospital after his illness?
(a) October 9, 1944.
(b) October 4, 1943.
(c) October 5, 1944.
(d) October 2, 1943.
3. On his sight-seeing trip into Capaccio, which of the following flowers does Lewis mention along the street that looks almost English?
4. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
5. After his return to Naples Lewis tells about an assault on local girls found in the company of Allied soldiers; he says that the assault took place from the gardens of which location?
(a) Villa Navona.
(b) Villa Republica.
(c) Villa Nazionale.
(d) Villa Roma.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis is invited to go on a family expedition to gather greens and hunt birds with Ingeniere Crespi, the man's son goes along; what is the boy's name?
2. When discussing the shrine of Cybele near Avellino, Lewis notes that most devotees travel to Avellino by what transportation method?
3. As he discusses the frustrations of the Italian boys who have lost the local girls to soldiers, Lewis says that an American soldier can offer a girl all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. While discussing the contraband confiscated by the Marshal at the checkpoint three miles outside town, Lewis says that a drum of olive oil is worth how much on the black market?
5. With which of the following captains does Lewis meet after a night spent patrolling the streets of Salerno for German infiltrators?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
2. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
3. What does Lewis learn from the Americans in his September 11, 1943 entry?
4. What situation does Lewis encounter when he travels to San Sebastiano to investigate conditions there after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius?
5. Why are the Neapolitan prostitutes unhappy when they learn about the A-Force's idea to use them against the Germans in Rome?
6. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
7. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
8. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
9. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
10. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)