|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
(a) Number 6.
(b) Number 3.
(c) Number 15.
(d) Number 12.
2. When Lewis discusses Neapolitan vendettas he says that which of the following individuals told him about this, or else he would not know?
(a) Antonio Priore.
(b) Lo Scalzo.
(c) Ingeniere Crespi.
(d) Poggio Reale.
3. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
(a) Poggio Reale.
(b) Ingeniere Crespi.
(c) Antonio Priore.
(d) Lo Scalzo.
4. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
(a) 100 lire.
(b) 500 lire.
(c) 1300 lire.
(d) 1000 lire.
5. When Lewis attends the spaghetti-eating contest at a dinner party, he notes that the man who wins is 65 and of what profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
2. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
3. In "January 1944" which of the following is NOT a small town outside Naples also included in the list of Lewis' responsibilities?
4. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
5. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
2. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
3. While in Benevento Lewis discusses the diseases that have sprung up among the people. What methods does Lewis use to try to prevent another bout of malaria?
4. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
5. What attitude does Vittorio Fortuna have when Lewis arrests him, and what reason might there be for his attitude?
6. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
7. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
8. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
9. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
10. What hobby does Lewis learn that the boys in Benevento enjoy during his tour of the city with the Marshal?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)