|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
(a) Flower merchant.
(d) Pizza shop.
2. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
(b) Brain damaged.
3. The prostitutes fear that as a result of the A-Force's plot to infect Germans with venereal disease their compensation will drop to how much money per night?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 200 lire.
(c) 100 lire.
(d) 1000 lire.
4. When Lewis visits the prison during his vendetta investigation he notes that newly received prisoners are fingerprinted and then told to wipe the ink off their hands where?
5. The corrupt police chief says at the end of "December 1943" that he has to prevent a blood feud; what item do local families use to represent blood feuds?
(b) Coat of Arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
2. In his discussion of the local mobs around Naples, Lewis says that the only person who ever stood up to the group was whom?
3. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
4. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
5. When Lewis discusses Neapolitan vendettas he says that which of the following individuals told him about this, or else he would not know?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Frazer is posted and his relationship with Signora Lola ends Lewis mentions that Lola and her friend will be going to the island of Capri to "deflate." What is meant by this?
2. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
3. What comment does Lewis make about Lago Averno when he visits the location?
4. When Lewis visits Salvatore Loreto in the Cancello Field Hospital, the nurse says that a German in the bed next to him will die soon after six p.m. Why is she so sure of this?
5. What is the importance of San Gennaro's blood to the Neapolitan people, as discussed in "May 1944"?
6. What is the difference between Neapolitan architecture and that of Pozzuoli, as discussed in "July 1944"?
7. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
8. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
9. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
10. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)