|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his return to Naples Lewis tells about an assault on local girls found in the company of Allied soldiers; he says that the assault took place from the gardens of which location?
(a) Villa Navona.
(b) Villa Nazionale.
(c) Villa Roma.
(d) Villa Republica.
2. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
(a) Number 3.
(b) Number 6.
(c) Number 12.
(d) Number 15.
3. On which of the following dates does Lewis, unable to get to Salerno, decide to take a sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
(a) September 22, 1944.
(b) September 25, 1944.
(c) September 9, 1943.
(d) September 17, 1943.
4. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
(a) Antonio Priore.
(b) Ingeniere Crespi.
(c) Lo Scalzo.
(d) Poggio Reale.
5. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
2. Which of the following individuals is a witness in the case against the man arrested by the corrupt police chief on fraudulent charges of conspiracy with the Germans?
3. When Sergeant Moore returns from Salerno, Lewis' group is told there is not enough room for them in the command car; with what commodity is the command car full?
4. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
5. On his sight-seeing trip into Capaccio, which of the following flowers does Lewis mention along the street that looks almost English?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
2. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
3. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
4. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
5. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
6. According to Lewis, what is astounding when thieves raid the Field Security Offices at Castelammare castle?
7. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
8. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
9. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
10. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)