|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An informant, Prince A, visits the soldiers with his 24-year old sister to ask if they can arrange for her to enter an army brothel; what is the girl's name?
2. Lewis is invited to a dinner party that features a spaghetti-eating contest; which of the following individuals is said to have introduced the classic method for this competition?
3. When Lewis attends the spaghetti-eating contest at a dinner party, he notes that the man who wins is 65 and of what profession?
4. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
(a) 4235 lire.
(b) 3063 lire.
(c) 2875 lire.
(d) 1425 lire.
5. In the December 9, 1943 entry Lewis talks about looking out over the formal gardens of what Villa?
(a) Villa d'Este.
(b) Villa Adrianna.
(c) Villa de Medici.
(d) Villa Nazionale.
Short Answer Questions
1. As "December 1943" opens, what does Lewis say is the really unpleasant part of his job?
2. In his discussion of the local mobs around Naples, Lewis says that the only person who ever stood up to the group was whom?
3. When Lewis visits the church of San Pasquale he views the body of the Blessed Egideo; what is this near-saint said to protect?
4. How old is the boy in "March 1944" who arrives at the 92nd General Hospital missing 3 fingers?
5. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
2. What frustration does Eric Williams have during the Feast of the Lily in Nola?
3. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
4. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
5. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
6. When Lewis talks about his friend Lattarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funeral services, how does he say his friend accomplishes this?
7. After Domenico Lupo begins to annoy the Allies by attacking military supply trains, how is he finally found and arrested?
8. When Lewis explains the Robin Hood tradition in the Zona di Camorra, what individual does he mention and what actions has this person taken?
9. What does Lewis find when he visits a small volcano called the Solfatara?
10. To what does Lewis attribute the differences found in Pozzuoli compared with other regions nearby in his discussion of that area?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)