|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he follows the Italian Father Christmas into his cottage in Capaccio?
(b) Drugs and contraband.
(c) Dead German.
(d) Moldy food.
2. Upon his return to Naples to find sick section members, Lewis says that he is also ill with which of the following?
3. After receiving the supposed good-luck cloth, Lewis hears that Americans from which division have orders to beat ANY Germans to death, even those who surrender?
4. In "October 1944" Lewis says that the weather is wonderful at that time of year and that it is common October sport to hunt migrant birds headed to which country?
(d) New Zealand.
5. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
(a) Pizza shop.
(c) Flower merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which of the following captains does Lewis meet after a night spent patrolling the streets of Salerno for German infiltrators?
2. When Lewis first meets Donna Maria Fidora, a new contact, he says that her nickname is what?
3. After Lewis gives a hungry man some K rations he receives a strip of cloth that the giver insists will render him bulletproof; from what city did this cloth originate?
4. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
5. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
2. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
3. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
4. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
5. What health situation does Lewis find when he leaves Benevento and returns to Naples?
6. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
7. How does Lewis describe informers in his October 10, 1943 entry?
8. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
9. What shift in the public attitude does Lewis notice toward the end of his time in Benevento?
10. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)