|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following insects plagues Hotel Vesuvio as "September 1944" opens?
(d) Bed bug.
2. On his sight-seeing trip into Capaccio, which of the following flowers does Lewis mention along the street that looks almost English?
3. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
4. In the October 9, 1943 entry Lewis says that children in Naples are prying limpets off rocks for food. How much can the children collect in exchange for a pint of limpets?
(a) 5 lire.
(b) 25 lire.
(c) 2 lire.
(d) 19 lire.
5. On which of the following dates is Lewis discharged from the American Evacuation Hospital after his illness?
(a) October 5, 1944.
(b) October 2, 1943.
(c) October 9, 1944.
(d) October 4, 1943.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
2. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
3. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
4. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
5. Upon his return to Naples to find sick section members, Lewis says that he is also ill with which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
2. When Lewis and his fellow soldiers in Benevento set up a checkpoint about three miles outside the city, what comment does Lewis make about the contraband confiscated by Marshal Altamura?
3. Why is Lewis sent to arrest Cesare Rossi in "February 1944"?
4. What sort of experience does Lewis describe in regards to the prostitutes who have set up business in Naples?
5. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
6. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
7. What happens to the operational maps the Allies find upon completion of the successful raid at Anzio?
8. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
9. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
10. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)