|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When talking about Neapolitan vendettas, Lewis mentions a boy who ambushed and killed the man who had killed his father before his birth; how old is the boy?
2. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
3. On which of the following dates does Lewis see a British officer beating an Italian man, which he describes as the most revolting thing he's seen since the war began?
(a) September 16, 1943.
(b) September 25, 1944.
(c) September 20, 1943.
(d) September 12, 1944.
4. Lewis travels to Pomigliano to arrest Mussolini's former Press Secretary, a man by what name?
5. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Days after the checkpoint three miles outside town, the Marshal is offended when Lewis refuses his gift of what?
2. When Lewis is forced to ask Norah Gemelli for help with a case, what name does she give him?
3. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
4. After receiving the supposed good-luck cloth, Lewis hears that Americans from which division have orders to beat ANY Germans to death, even those who surrender?
5. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
2. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
3. What surprise does a colleague of Lewis' receive when he accepts what he believes is a courteous invitation to visit a local cemetery with an informant?
4. When Lewis is forced to arrest Signora Esposito-Lau, what reason does her husband give as the likely one behind the arrest?
5. Describe the situation when Lewis is ordered to investigate the arrest of Giovanni Albano at the request of Marshal Benvenuto.
6. What does Lewis say about Cesare Rossi when he arrives to arrest the man?
7. What does Lewis say about the appearance of Captain Frazer in his November 26, 1943 entry?
8. When the Allies learn that a planned invasion at Anzio is running through the local rumor mill, who does Lewis track down as the source of the leak?
9. What reasons does Lewis give for the theft of copper when he is sent to investigate the problem?
10. When Lewis investigates Marshal Benvenuto's case against Giovanni Albano, what reason does the Marshal give for the arrest?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)