|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
(a) Torre del Greco.
(c) Torre Annunziata.
2. When discussing Mussolini's Press Secretary Lewis states that the man is wanted for the murder of which of the following individuals, a former rival of Mussolini?
3. As Lewis and his companions prepare to land at Salerno, how does Lewis say the lecture by the Intelligence officer could have been summed up?
(a) There is nothing we do not know.
(b) We know nothing.
(c) Mussolini's OVRA has been disbanded.
(d) The Germans will be there.
4. Lewis sees a man in Capaccio, whom he describes as an Italian Father Christmas, selling what at a table in his garden?
5. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna Consomata reveals during her discussion with Lewis that she agreed to give false testimony because she was the mistress of which of the following?
2. As "November 1943" opens, Lewis laments that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be reduced to what amount per week?
3. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
4. With which of the following captains does Lewis meet after a night spent patrolling the streets of Salerno for German infiltrators?
5. When Lewis first meets the man who will become his best informant, Vincente Lattarullo, he reports that the man is a member of which of the following professions?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Antonio Priore is sentenced to 3 years in jail for his part in the theft and sale of Allied copper, what reason does Lewis give for the long sentence?
2. In "January 1944" why does Lewis say that his other security responsibilities--the small towns around Naples--are pointless?
3. What frustrates Lewis when trying to investigate a report of a murder from one of the scugnizzi outside the Cafe Roma?
4. Describe the military situation in Salerno, as discussed in the September 9, 1943 entry.
5. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
6. What condition is the city of Naples in when Lewis arrives after his stay in the hospital?
7. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
8. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
9. What interesting individual does Lewis meet during his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio, and what experience does he have with the individual?
10. Describe the military confusion that occurs in the September 14, 1943 entry.
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)