|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the orders come through to break up the assault on local girls caught with Allied soldiers, Lewis reports that there are how many men at HQ to deal with the situation?
2. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
3. What method of transportation does Lewis use on his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
4. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
(a) Poggio Reale.
(b) Lo Scalzo.
(c) Ingeniere Crespi.
(d) Antonio Priore.
5. What is the name of the plaza where the Palace is located, in which Lewis' unit is installed when he reunites with them in Naples?
(a) Piazza Vittoria.
(b) Piazza Dante.
(c) Piazza Venezia.
(d) Piazza Navona.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon his return to Naples to find sick section members, Lewis says that he is also ill with which of the following?
2. Lewis notes in his November 25, 1943 entry that there is an aversion in Italy to bothering which of the following species of bird?
3. When an American soldier reports that he has been to a party in Marichiaro and has met a spy, he bases this accusation on the fact that the man claims to be what?
4. When Lewis attends the spaghetti-eating contest at a dinner party, he notes that the man who wins is 65 and of what profession?
5. In his descriptions of the small towns around Naples, Lewis mentions that the new mayors of these towns who have been appointed by the Allies are called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When discussing the reasons behind the plight of Lattarullo and others like him, on what situation does Lewis place the blame in "November 1943"?
2. Describe the behavior by the Canadians when they rejoin Lewis in Benvento.
3. Describe the autumn traditions in Naples after the torrential rains in September.
4. Describe the information Lewis and the other men in his section have when they first arrive in Salerno.
5. What response does Lewis have when it is announced that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be cut to 400 lire per week for each section member?
6. How does Lewis describe the mood and appearance of the people in the outskirts of Naples after his release from the hospital?
7. What embarrassing and uncomfortable experience does Lewis relate when he comes into contact with Professore Placella?
8. Describe the mistake that occurs when Lewis is sent to investigate reports of a female spy in Afragola.
9. How does Lewis describe Vincente Lattarullo when he relates their first meeting?
10. When arriving in Salerno, why are Lewis and his fellow British officers assigned to an American army and how do the Americans treat them?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)