|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing the awful behavior of French colonial troops as they ravage the countryside, Lewis says doctors in Castro di Volsci treat how many rapes?
2. On his visit to the one Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, what method of transportation does Lewis use?
3. When discussing various salaries, Lewis says the the conversion rate for the Italian lira to British pounds is ____ lire for 1 pound.
4. When Lewis visits the suburb in "July 1944" he says that this is where which of the following emperors of Rome murdered his mother?
5. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
(a) Brain damaged.
6. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
(a) 240 lire.
(b) 380 lire.
(c) 450 lire.
(d) 875 lire.
7. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Social Democrats.
(b) Christian Democrats.
(c) Separatist Communists.
(d) Orthodox Communists.
8. While talking about various salaries Lewis says that his research shows the Questore of Naples makes the most, at what amount per month?
(a) 3823 lire.
(b) 5496 lire.
(c) 7234 lire.
(d) 4587 lire.
9. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
(c) Monte Amiata.
10. In his discussion of the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that after arriving in Avellino devotees complete their journey to the shrine by what method?
(a) Motor bike.
11. When Lewis visits the house set up--illegally--by Captain Frazer and Signora Lola, he notes that it is badly damaged from an air raid that happened on which date?
(a) April 1, 1944.
(b) March 14, 1944.
(c) December 11, 1943.
(d) October 30, 1943.
12. In Lewis' visit with his informant to the bones of St. Andrew, he says that the rejuvenating fluid is passed out using what medium?
(a) Paper strips.
(d) Plastic bags.
13. After Signora Lola gives Lewis the information about illicit letters being sent, Lattarullo provides Lewis with the name of a letter carrier. What is the man's name?
14. As Lewis discusses the "Robin Hood" tradition in the Zona di Camorra he notes that the main example is Domenico Lupo; what explanation does Lewis give for the man's name?
15. After Mt. Vesuvius erupts Lewis visits a local seismologist, Professor Saraceno, for information about the event. With what does Lewis pay the man for his advice?
(b) 100 lire.
(c) 2 apples.
(d) Corned beef.
Short Answer Questions
1. The attendants who pass out the rejuvenating fluid when Lewis and his informant visit the bones of St. Andrew suffer what affliction, deemed to be lucky?
2. As part of Lewis' introduction to Benevento he receives a scrap of paper listing the prices for small tasks; what should he expect to pay for help from the principal citizen?
3. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
4. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
5. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)