|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Orthodox Communists.
(b) Christian Democrats.
(c) Social Democrats.
(d) Separatist Communists.
2. In the March 3, 1944 entry Lewis notes that it is a crime in Italy, punishable by a year in prison, to communicate which venereal disease (STD) to another person?
3. When Lewis goes on a picnic with Frazer and Signora Lola, which of the following places do they visit?
(a) San Vincenzo.
4. On his visit to the one Neapolitan suburb he has not visited, what method of transportation does Lewis use?
5. When Lewis visits the house set up--illegally--by Captain Frazer and Signora Lola, he notes that it is badly damaged from an air raid that happened on which date?
(a) March 14, 1944.
(b) October 30, 1943.
(c) April 1, 1944.
(d) December 11, 1943.
6. The attendants who pass out the rejuvenating fluid when Lewis and his informant visit the bones of St. Andrew suffer what affliction, deemed to be lucky?
7. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 100 lire.
(c) 1000 lire.
(d) 1300 lire.
8. When discussing Latarullo's part-time job as an "uncle from Rome" for funerals, how much do readers learn that Latarullo charges for this service?
(a) 1500 lire.
(b) 500 lire.
(c) 800 lire.
(d) 2000 lire.
9. While in the hospital Lewis mentions that Signoras Lola and Susanna will be going on a retreat to Ischia to "deflate," and that they will eat what to accomplish this?
10. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
(a) Maugham National Hospital.
(b) Cancello Field Hospital.
(c) Cancello National Hospital.
(d) Maugham Field Hospital.
11. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
(a) Del Giudice.
(c) Eugenio Reale.
(d) Antonio Ceechi.
12. While discussing Latarullo's home furnishings Lewis describes a dingy piece of rock, supposedly from the sanctuary of which saint?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Michael.
(c) St. Paul.
(d) St. John.
13. When the Marshal of Benevento voices concerns that the town is surrounded by bandits, he proposes to go after them with how many Carabinieri?
14. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
15. Lewis visits which of the following volcanoes during his time in the last Neapolitan suburb he has to visit?
(b) Monte Amiata.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lewis arrives in Benevento he notes that the whole population of the city is dressed in black because it is custom to wear mourning for how long after a family death?
2. As Lewis makes himself acquainted with Benevento, he says that the new Marshal of the town is a man by what name?
3. Of the marriage application investigations Lewis has completed by April 5, 1944 how many of the Italian women turned out to be prostitutes?
4. In early April, Lewis says that he has completed how many investigations of Italian women who wish to marry British soldiers?
5. When discussing various salaries, Lewis says the the conversion rate for the Italian lira to British pounds is ____ lire for 1 pound.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)