|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
2. On July 12, 1944 Lewis notes that he has visited every town within 30 miles of Naples with what exception?
3. When discussing the awful behavior of French colonial troops as they ravage the countryside, Lewis says doctors in Castro di Volsci treat how many rapes?
4. Which of the following is the name of the jeweler who arranges for the delivery of illegal letters in "March 1944"?
5. When Lewis refuses the blanket-requesting prostitute at the police station, she remains good natured and accepts what other item Lewis offers?
(d) 200 lire.
6. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
(a) 240 lire.
(b) 380 lire.
(c) 875 lire.
(d) 450 lire.
7. After Mt. Vesuvius erupts Lewis visits a local seismologist, Professor Saraceno, for information about the event. With what does Lewis pay the man for his advice?
(a) 2 apples.
(c) 100 lire.
(d) Corned beef.
8. When discussing the A-Force's plan to use venereal diseases (STDs) as a weapon Lewis states they've displayed complete disregard for the babies doomed to be born _______?
(d) Brain damaged.
9. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
(a) Lago Garda.
(b) Lago Cuomo.
(c) Lago Averno.
(d) Lago Maggiore.
10. After Eric Williams' discussion of Nola, which of Lewis' contacts asks him for a dinner meeting at Amalfi?
(a) Del Giudice.
(b) Eugenio Reale.
(d) Antonio Ceechi.
11. In Lewis' description of the Neapolitan suburb he has not visited he contrasts the common greys and reds of Naples with what colors in this suburb?
(a) Purple and yellow.
(b) Blue and brown.
(c) Green and yellow.
(d) Pink and green.
12. Whitsun draws near in "May 1944." Lewis says it is also known in Naples as the Easter of what?
13. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
14. The prostitutes rounded up for the A-Force's plot are unhappy about the situation because they are used to making how much money per night?
(a) 500 lire.
(b) 100 lire.
(c) 1000 lire.
(d) 1300 lire.
15. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
(a) Raw shellfish.
(b) Iced octopus.
(d) Bean-shaped bivalves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of the midget gynecologist in "March 1944"?
2. Lewis visits Loreto in the hospital and is told by the nurse taking care of him that Loreto will last how long, at the most?
3. When a prostitute presents herself at the police station expecting a blanket in return for her services, Lewis is astonished to find that she is how old?
4. When the Marshal of Benevento voices concerns that the town is surrounded by bandits, he proposes to go after them with how many Carabinieri?
5. While talking about various salaries Lewis says that his research shows the Questore of Naples makes the most, at what amount per month?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)