|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Prince Pignatelli's apartment Lewis and Evans find huge stores of which of the following perfumes?
2. When Lewis investigates various Italian salaries, he says that the lowest income for a public official is that of the postman at what amount per month?
(a) 875 lire.
(b) 380 lire.
(c) 450 lire.
(d) 240 lire.
3. When Lewis refuses the blanket-requesting prostitute at the police station, she remains good natured and accepts what other item Lewis offers?
(a) 200 lire.
4. In his discussion of the various political groups in Italy Lewis says that all BUT WHICH of the following are considered quite powerful?
(a) Christian Democrats.
(b) Social Democrats.
(c) Orthodox Communists.
(d) Separatist Communists.
5. How old is the boy in "March 1944" who arrives at the 92nd General Hospital missing 3 fingers?
6. After Mt. Vesuvius erupts Lewis visits a local seismologist, Professor Saraceno, for information about the event. With what does Lewis pay the man for his advice?
(a) 100 lire.
(b) Corned beef.
(d) 2 apples.
7. In his visit to the Neapolitan suburb in "July 1944" Lewis says that which of the following lakes, described by Homer, is a disappointment?
(a) Lago Cuomo.
(b) Lago Averno.
(c) Lago Maggiore.
(d) Lago Garda.
8. In his April 1, 1944 entry Lewis spends time Signora Lola and says that she looks wonderful, having put on some weight due to the return of what food to Naples?
(b) White bread.
9. While discussing Domenico Lupo's raiding bands Lewis says that one of the biggest issues is the looting of what?
(b) Military bases.
10. In the March 5, 1944 entry Lewis says that according to Signora Lola a letter can be sent to Rome via a local jeweler for how much money?
(a) 100 lire.
(b) 200 lire.
(c) 400 lire.
(d) 60 lire.
11. When Lewis and Evans are sent to search through Prince Pignatelli's apartment, they find a glass of wine left behind with what substance in it?
(d) Gold leaf.
12. After Lewis moves in to the Hotel Vesuvio he invites his new acquaintances to a dinner of what army ration, which none of them have tasted before?
13. When Salvatore Loreto is captured in "August 1944," which of the following is the hospital in which Lewis finds him?
(a) Maugham National Hospital.
(b) Cancello National Hospital.
(c) Maugham Field Hospital.
(d) Cancello Field Hospital.
14. When Lewis stops for lunch at Vicenzo a Mare in the Neapolitan suburb he is treated to all BUT WHICH of the following local specialties?
(a) Iced octopus.
(b) Bean-shaped bivalves.
(c) Raw shellfish.
15. After they search Prince Pignatelli's apartment, Lewis and Evans learn that some local women actually followed the custom of Poppaea Sabina and took baths in what?
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing the customary pilgrimage to the shrine of Cybele, Lewis says that it has been a custom for how long?
2. Lewis says that his friend Simmons had watched a display at Guarda Sanframondi where devotees half kill themselves in honor of the Virgin every ____ years.
3. As "June 1944" opens Lewis remarks that the inevitable has finally happened, as how many Moors have been murdered in a village near Cancello?
4. When told to tidy up the black market situation Lewis investigates Vittorio Fortuna, a pharmacist known to traffic illegally in what medication?
5. In Lewis' discussion of various salary levels, how much does he say an Italian major makes per month?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)