|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of the Palace in Naples, how many bathrooms does Lewis say it has?
2. After Lewis gives a hungry man some K rations he receives a strip of cloth that the giver insists will render him bulletproof; from what city did this cloth originate?
3. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
(a) Antonio Priore.
(b) Lo Scalzo.
(c) Ingeniere Crespi.
(d) Poggio Reale.
4. When discussing Mussolini's Press Secretary Lewis states that the man is wanted for the murder of which of the following individuals, a former rival of Mussolini?
5. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
6. In his discussion of the local mobs around Naples, Lewis says that the only person who ever stood up to the group was whom?
7. When talking about Neapolitan vendettas, Lewis mentions a boy who ambushed and killed the man who had killed his father before his birth; how old is the boy?
8. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
(b) New Year's.
9. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
(b) Da Vinci.
10. During the checkpoint stops three miles outside town, the Canadians discover that most vehicles have stolen tires. How much are the tires worth on the black market?
(a) 8,000 lire.
(b) 3,000 lire.
(c) 50,000 lire.
(d) 30,000 lire.
11. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
12. When Lewis visits the church of San Pasquale he views the body of the Blessed Egideo; what is this near-saint said to protect?
13. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
(a) Torre del Greco.
(d) Torre Annunziata.
14. Lewis states, as he prepares to arrive in Salerno, that he and his section are attached to which American army unit?
15. Early in the book, on which of the following dates does Lewis state that the war arrives?
(a) September 8, 1943.
(b) September 14, 1944.
(c) September 12, 1943.
(d) September 19, 1944.
Short Answer Questions
1. When thieves raid the Field Security Office at Castellammare castle to steal wheels off vehicles, how high are the walls they have to climb to do so?
2. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
3. As he discusses the frustrations of the Italian boys who have lost the local girls to soldiers, Lewis says that an American soldier can offer a girl all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. When Lewis travels to Afragola to investigate reports that a woman there is a spy, he finds that a translation error has occurred and the woman is actually suspected of being what?
5. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)