|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
2. In "October 1944" Lewis says that the weather is wonderful at that time of year and that it is common October sport to hunt migrant birds headed to which country?
(d) New Zealand.
3. When an American soldier reports that he has been to a party in Marichiaro and has met a spy, he bases this accusation on the fact that the man claims to be what?
4. On his sight-seeing trip into Capaccio, which of the following flowers does Lewis mention along the street that looks almost English?
5. In the October 9, 1943 entry Lewis says that children in Naples are prying limpets off rocks for food. How much can the children collect in exchange for a pint of limpets?
(a) 5 lire.
(b) 25 lire.
(c) 19 lire.
(d) 2 lire.
6. Right before heading back to Naples after the trip with the Crespi family, there is a picnic of all BUT WHICH of the following?
7. In his discussion of the Palace in Naples, how many bathrooms does Lewis say it has?
8. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
9. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
(a) Da Vinci.
10. When Lattarullo gives Lewis information about the Neapolitan doctor with the stolen Fiat, Lewis taken him to lunch. Which of the following is Lattarullo offered on the way to eat?
11. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
12. When Lewis returns to Naples in "October 1944" he finds that several members of his section are ill; Moore has which of the following illnesses?
13. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
(a) 5 lire.
(b) 15 lire.
(c) 20 lire.
(d) 10 lire.
14. While discussing the contraband confiscated by the Marshal at the checkpoint three miles outside town, Lewis says that a drum of olive oil is worth how much on the black market?
(a) 30, 000 lire.
(b) 8,000 lire.
(c) 3,000 lire.
(d) 50,000 lire.
15. When thieves raid the Field Security Office at Castellammare castle to steal wheels off vehicles, how high are the walls they have to climb to do so?
(a) 60 ft.
(b) 30 ft.
(c) 20 ft.
(d) 10 ft.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis talks about two large air raids that took place in August, resulting in Naples being extremely short on what in October 1943?
2. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
3. As Lewis discusses the various things the people of Naples have resorted to eating, he notes that there has been rumor of a decline in the population of what animal in the city?
4. Lewis states, as he prepares to arrive in Salerno, that he and his section are attached to which American army unit?
5. An informant, Prince A, visits the soldiers with his 24-year old sister to ask if they can arrange for her to enter an army brothel; what is the girl's name?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)