|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
2. When Lewis is invited to go on a family expedition to gather greens and hunt birds with Ingeniere Crespi, the man's son goes along; what is the boy's name?
3. With which of the following captains does Lewis meet after a night spent patrolling the streets of Salerno for German infiltrators?
(a) Captain Paglia.
(b) Captain Moore.
(c) Captain Cartwright.
(d) Captain Castello.
4. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
5. During the checkpoint stops three miles outside town, the Canadians discover that most vehicles have stolen tires. How much are the tires worth on the black market?
(a) 30,000 lire.
(b) 3,000 lire.
(c) 8,000 lire.
(d) 50,000 lire.
6. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
7. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
(a) Da Vinci.
8. In the December 9, 1943 entry Lewis talks about looking out over the formal gardens of what Villa?
(a) Villa Nazionale.
(b) Villa de Medici.
(c) Villa d'Este.
(d) Villa Adrianna.
9. Lewis is invited to a dinner party that features a spaghetti-eating contest; which of the following individuals is said to have introduced the classic method for this competition?
10. When Lewis first meets Donna Maria Fidora, a new contact, he says that her nickname is what?
(a) La Bella.
(b) La Aquila.
(c) La Nobile.
(d) La Pitonessa.
11. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
(a) Pizza shop.
(d) Flower merchant.
12. Right before heading back to Naples after the trip with the Crespi family, there is a picnic of all BUT WHICH of the following?
13. Which of the following individuals is a witness in the case against the man arrested by the corrupt police chief on fraudulent charges of conspiracy with the Germans?
14. On which of the following dates is Lewis discharged from the American Evacuation Hospital after his illness?
(a) October 2, 1943.
(b) October 9, 1944.
(c) October 5, 1944.
(d) October 4, 1943.
15. In his discussion of the Palace in Naples, how many bathrooms does Lewis say it has?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis find when he follows the Italian Father Christmas into his cottage in Capaccio?
2. Lewis begins work on the suspect file in Naples and must catalog everything; he notes that one report describes an individual that has an obsessive fear of which animal?
3. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
4. On which of the following dates are Lewis and other men attacked via plane while exploring the Temple of Neptune?
5. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)