|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing Lattarullo's Separatists, Lewis notes that the organization wants to dress everyone in Roman tunics and enforce a minimum of ____ children per family.
2. While discussing the contraband confiscated by the Marshal at the checkpoint three miles outside town, Lewis says that a drum of olive oil is worth how much on the black market?
(a) 30, 000 lire.
(b) 8,000 lire.
(c) 50,000 lire.
(d) 3,000 lire.
3. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
4. When Lewis first meets Donna Maria Fidora, a new contact, he says that her nickname is what?
(a) La Aquila.
(b) La Bella.
(c) La Nobile.
(d) La Pitonessa.
5. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
6. Which of the following insects plagues Hotel Vesuvio as "September 1944" opens?
(a) Bed bug.
7. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
8. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
(a) Pizza shop.
(b) Flower merchant.
9. As he discusses the frustrations of the Italian boys who have lost the local girls to soldiers, Lewis says that an American soldier can offer a girl all BUT WHICH of the following?
10. Which of the following individuals is a witness in the case against the man arrested by the corrupt police chief on fraudulent charges of conspiracy with the Germans?
11. When Lewis asks Norah Gemelli for help on a case he mentions that she lives on which of the following affluent streets?
(a) Via Toledo.
(b) Via Forcella.
(c) Via Chiaia.
(d) Via dei Mille.
12. As "November 1943" opens, Lewis laments that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be reduced to what amount per week?
(a) 400 lire.
(b) 800 lire.
(c) 200 lire.
(d) 600 lire.
13. When Lewis travels to Afragola to investigate reports that a woman there is a spy, he finds that a translation error has occurred and the woman is actually suspected of being what?
14. When Lewis visits the church of San Pasquale he views the body of the Blessed Egideo; what is this near-saint said to protect?
15. When talking about Neapolitan vendettas, Lewis mentions a boy who ambushed and killed the man who had killed his father before his birth; how old is the boy?
Short Answer Questions
1. After his return to Naples Lewis tells about an assault on local girls found in the company of Allied soldiers; he says that the assault took place from the gardens of which location?
2. The corrupt police chief says at the end of "December 1943" that he has to prevent a blood feud; what item do local families use to represent blood feuds?
3. Lewis states, as he prepares to arrive in Salerno, that he and his section are attached to which American army unit?
4. When Lewis attends the spaghetti-eating contest at a dinner party, he notes that the man who wins is 65 and of what profession?
5. When discussing Neapolitans' odd superstitions and views on good/bad luck, Lewis notes that they believe a house suffers from the evil eye; what is the house number?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)