|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lewis asks Norah Gemelli for help on a case he mentions that she lives on which of the following affluent streets?
(a) Via Chiaia.
(b) Via dei Mille.
(c) Via Toledo.
(d) Via Forcella.
2. As "November 1943" opens, Lewis laments that Counter-Intelligence funds are to be reduced to what amount per week?
(a) 800 lire.
(b) 600 lire.
(c) 200 lire.
(d) 400 lire.
3. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
4. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
5. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
6. In his February 12, 1944 entry Lewis is surprised to find that the Neapolitans have never visited famous sites nearby, though they have all been to which city multiple times?
7. As Lewis and his companions prepare to land at Salerno, how does Lewis say the lecture by the Intelligence officer could have been summed up?
(a) There is nothing we do not know.
(b) The Germans will be there.
(c) We know nothing.
(d) Mussolini's OVRA has been disbanded.
8. When an attacker dressed as an American pulls a .45 automatic at a checkpoint, which of the following men is shot through the shoulder at close range?
9. What method of transportation does Lewis use on his sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
10. In his discussion of the Palace in Naples, Lewis remarks that the place has how many rooms?
11. During the checkpoint stops three miles outside town, the Canadians discover that most vehicles have stolen tires. How much are the tires worth on the black market?
(a) 50,000 lire.
(b) 8,000 lire.
(c) 3,000 lire.
(d) 30,000 lire.
12. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
(a) 5 lire.
(b) 10 lire.
(c) 15 lire.
(d) 20 lire.
13. Lewis states, as he prepares to arrive in Salerno, that he and his section are attached to which American army unit?
14. While investigating the charges against the man arrested by the police chief, Lewis compares another witness--Anna Consomata--to an angel by which famous Italian artist?
(b) Da Vinci.
15. After his return to Naples Lewis tells about an assault on local girls found in the company of Allied soldiers; he says that the assault took place from the gardens of which location?
(a) Villa Republica.
(b) Villa Navona.
(c) Villa Nazionale.
(d) Villa Roma.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items does Lewis NOT lose in the flood during his stay in the hospital?
2. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
3. Which of the following individuals is a witness in the case against the man arrested by the corrupt police chief on fraudulent charges of conspiracy with the Germans?
4. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
5. As he discusses the frustrations of the Italian boys who have lost the local girls to soldiers, Lewis says that an American soldier can offer a girl all BUT WHICH of the following?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)