|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On September 19, 1944 Lewis decides to set up a checkpoint three miles out of town, across which river?
2. The corrupt police chief says at the end of "December 1943" that he has to prevent a blood feud; what item do local families use to represent blood feuds?
(d) Coat of Arms.
3. As Lewis discusses the various things the people of Naples have resorted to eating, he notes that there has been rumor of a decline in the population of what animal in the city?
4. On which of the following dates does Lewis, unable to get to Salerno, decide to take a sight-seeing trip to Capaccio?
(a) September 9, 1943.
(b) September 25, 1944.
(c) September 17, 1943.
(d) September 22, 1944.
5. When Lewis winds up in the American Evacuation Hospital he is ill with a re-infection of which of the following illnesses?
6. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
7. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
8. When Lewis and Lattarullo go to lunch and inspect the dish said to be veal, the waiter admits under questioning that it is actually what?
9. Lewis sees a man in Capaccio, whom he describes as an Italian Father Christmas, selling what at a table in his garden?
10. When an attacker dressed as an American pulls a .45 automatic at a checkpoint, which of the following men is shot through the shoulder at close range?
11. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
12. When discussing incredible feats of piracy, Lewis says that what objects have been stolen from the region of Agropoli?
13. When an American soldier reports that he has been to a party in Marichiaro and has met a spy, he bases this accusation on the fact that the man claims to be what?
14. Which of the following towns does Lewis NOT mention as a suburb of Naples on his journey back to his section after his release from the hospital?
(c) Torre Annunziata.
(d) Torre del Greco.
15. When Lewis first meets Donna Maria Fidora, a new contact, he says that her nickname is what?
(a) La Aquila.
(b) La Nobile.
(c) La Pitonessa.
(d) La Bella.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis talks about two large air raids that took place in August, resulting in Naples being extremely short on what in October 1943?
2. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
3. After duly investigating the Forza Italia! political movement, Lewis returns to his car to find how many men waiting for him?
4. Lewis is invited to a dinner party that features a spaghetti-eating contest; which of the following individuals is said to have introduced the classic method for this competition?
5. On which of the following dates is Lewis discharged from the American Evacuation Hospital after his illness?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)