|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lewis and the American army arrive at "Red Beach," how many rounds of ammunition does each man receive?
2. After duly investigating the Forza Italia! political movement, Lewis returns to his car to find how many men waiting for him?
3. On which of the following dates are Lewis and other men attacked via plane while exploring the Temple of Neptune?
(a) September 19, 1944.
(b) September 8, 1943.
(c) September 10, 1943.
(d) September 14, 1944.
4. Which of the following individuals is a witness in the case against the man arrested by the corrupt police chief on fraudulent charges of conspiracy with the Germans?
5. During Lewis' time in the American Evacuation Hospital, he is frequently disturbed by what noise a few hundred yards away?
6. In his discussion of his duties Lewis mentions that he is expected to make daily log entries in his Army Book no. 466. At what time each day are these logs to be discussed?
(a) 5 a.m.
(b) 8 p.m.
(c) 12 p.m.
(d) 9 a.m.
7. Lewis states, as he prepares to arrive in Salerno, that he and his section are attached to which American army unit?
8. Lewis travels to Pomigliano to arrest Mussolini's former Press Secretary, a man by what name?
9. When Lewis travels to Afragola to investigate reports that a woman there is a spy, he finds that a translation error has occurred and the woman is actually suspected of being what?
10. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
11. After Lewis gives a hungry man some K rations he receives a strip of cloth that the giver insists will render him bulletproof; from what city did this cloth originate?
12. In his descriptions of the small towns around Naples, Lewis mentions that the new mayors of these towns who have been appointed by the Allies are called what?
13. In Naples, Lewis finds several respectable-looking women who have turned to prostitution to support themselves. What do the women charge for their services?
14. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
(a) 5 lire.
(b) 20 lire.
(c) 10 lire.
(d) 15 lire.
15. At the end of "February 1944" Lewis sees his first pazzariello on the Via San Pasquale; according to Lewis, this word translates to what?
(b) Pizza shop.
(d) Flower merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the checkpoint three miles out of town is passed by a lorry that crashes through, Lewis says that the man in charge of the Thompson sub-machine gun is which of these?
2. Lewis is invited to a dinner party that features a spaghetti-eating contest; which of the following individuals is said to have introduced the classic method for this competition?
3. After the meeting in Salerno with the captain, how many British men are ordered back to "Red Beach" because a token presence there is required?
4. As Lewis passes through Naples on his way back to his unit after his illness, what does he say is the general mood of the Italian civilians?
5. When Lewis first sets up his intelligence-gathering operation in Naples, what percentage of the information he finds does he deem "numbingly unimportant"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)