|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The corrupt police chief says at the end of "December 1943" that he has to prevent a blood feud; what item do local families use to represent blood feuds?
(c) Coat of Arms.
2. After his return to Naples Lewis tells about an assault on local girls found in the company of Allied soldiers; he says that the assault took place from the gardens of which location?
(a) Villa Republica.
(b) Villa Navona.
(c) Villa Nazionale.
(d) Villa Roma.
3. After the meeting in Salerno with the captain, how many British men are ordered back to "Red Beach" because a token presence there is required?
4. In the January 1, 1944 entry Lewis says that any Allied goods stolen are sold openly on which of the following streets?
(a) Via Chiaia.
(b) Via Forcella.
(c) Via Toledo.
(d) Via dei Mille.
5. When Lewis visits the church of San Pasquale he views the body of the Blessed Egideo; what is this near-saint said to protect?
6. On the expedition with Ingeniere Crespi's family Lewis reports that in total they manage to catch how many birds?
7. Right before heading back to Naples after the trip with the Crespi family, there is a picnic of all BUT WHICH of the following?
8. Lewis notes in November 1943 that the only avenue open to a young man of good family is diplomatic service; how many diplomatic posts are offered in Naples?
9. In "October 1944" Lewis says that the weather is wonderful at that time of year and that it is common October sport to hunt migrant birds headed to which country?
(b) New Zealand.
10. When investigating a local vendetta, which of the following is the prison Lewis visits for the case?
(a) Poggio Reale.
(b) Lo Scalzo.
(c) Antonio Priore.
(d) Ingeniere Crespi.
11. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
(a) Lo Scalzo.
(b) Ingeniere Crespi.
(c) Antonio Priore.
(d) Poggio Reale.
12. After his discussion of corrupt law enforcement, Lewis visits which of the following men who has been arrested by a corrupt police chief on ridiculous charges?
13. In his February 28, 1944 entry Lewis says that spring seems to have arrived, and that a young boy is selling a collection of 25 ballads at what price?
(a) 20 lire.
(b) 5 lire.
(c) 15 lire.
(d) 10 lire.
14. When Lewis discusses the small towns outside Naples he says that there are nearly uncontrollable because they are ruled by the local mob, a group known as what?
15. Lewis notes in his November 25, 1943 entry that there is an aversion in Italy to bothering which of the following species of bird?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
2. When Lewis winds up in the American Evacuation Hospital he is ill with a re-infection of which of the following illnesses?
3. In "January 1944" which of the following is NOT a small town outside Naples also included in the list of Lewis' responsibilities?
4. When talking about the various local law enforcement agencies, which of the following does Lewis say is the Italian police force?
5. Early in the book, on which of the following dates does Lewis state that the war arrives?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)