|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon his return to Naples to find sick section members, Lewis says that he is also ill with which of the following?
2. When Lewis first meets the man who will become his best informant, Vincente Lattarullo, he reports that the man is a member of which of the following professions?
3. As "December 1943" opens, what does Lewis say is the really unpleasant part of his job?
4. When discussing Signora Esposito-Lau, Lewis notes that the Psychological Warfare Bureau reported that what percentage of the Italian people collaborated with Germans?
5. Which of the following insects plagues Hotel Vesuvio as "September 1944" opens?
(d) Bed bug.
6. When Lewis' friend Don Ubaldo dies, he notes that the man succumbed to which of the following diseases?
7. When Sergeant Moore returns from Salerno, Lewis' group is told there is not enough room for them in the command car; with what commodity is the command car full?
(b) Gas masks.
8. When an American soldier reports that he has been to a party in Marichiaro and has met a spy, he bases this accusation on the fact that the man claims to be what?
9. After his discussion of corrupt law enforcement, Lewis visits which of the following men who has been arrested by a corrupt police chief on ridiculous charges?
10. In his descriptions of the small towns around Naples, Lewis mentions that the new mayors of these towns who have been appointed by the Allies are called what?
11. With which of the following captains does Lewis meet after a night spent patrolling the streets of Salerno for German infiltrators?
(a) Captain Paglia.
(b) Captain Castello.
(c) Captain Cartwright.
(d) Captain Moore.
12. In his discussion of the Palace in Naples, how many bathrooms does Lewis say it has?
13. Lewis is invited to a dinner party that features a spaghetti-eating contest; which of the following individuals is said to have introduced the classic method for this competition?
14. In the January 12, 1944 entry which of the following individuals is thrown into jail after he is discovered with several lengths of copper wire, which he insists are German?
(a) Lo Scalzo.
(b) Poggio Reale.
(c) Antonio Priore.
(d) Ingeniere Crespi.
15. After describing his concerns about the Canadians who have returned to the area, Lewis says that the Allies have recognized how many political parties in the area?
Short Answer Questions
1. When discussing the Separatist group for the restoration of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Lattarullo tells Lewis he believes the war with Germany will be over by which holiday?
2. As the book ends and Lewis prepares to leave Naples, he mentions that he hopes he will at least have time to see which of the following individuals before he leaves?
3. Lewis is frustrated when no one will admit they've seen anything during his investigation of what crime, first reported to him by one of the scugnizzi?
4. When Lewis is sent to investigate missing Allied copper and gets no help from the local people, the brigadiere says it is a result of omerta. How does he translate this?
5. In "January 1944" which of the following is NOT a small town outside Naples also included in the list of Lewis' responsibilities?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)