|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Vigilante change physically during his sentence?
(a) He gains weight
(b) He goes bald
(c) He wears new clothes
(d) He grows taller
2. The Vigilante is described as though he were located where in Chapter 2?
(a) A church
(b) An insane asylum
(c) A courtroom
(d) His mother's house
3. What part of their body are Mugwumps missing?
4. After leaving general surgery, which of the following did Dr. Benway specialize in?
5. What do the freed addicts raid once they are freed from the psychiatric hospital?
(a) Pet stores
(b) Candy stores
(c) Drug stores
(d) Electronics stores
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters deals drugs but does not use them?
2. What is William S. Burroughs’s middle name?
3. How does NG Joe administer heroin to help with his disorder?
4. What creatures feed off the Mugwumps?
5. The men and boys involved in the orgy are described as being of different what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the setting and characters described in the beginning of “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
2. What is symbolized by the disease Bang-utot in the narrative?
3. How is the setting of “Campus of Interzone University” described? What is the Professor lecturing about at the beginning of the chapter?
4. How does William describe the Vigilante in terms of his “humanity”?
5. What does the character of Joselito represent symbolically?
6. William looks down on the other passengers of the bus because they do not know anything about the drug subculture but pretend to in “And Start West.” Why is this significant to the novel’s themes?
7. What is symbolized by the Professor’s lecture in “Campus of Interzone University”?
8. How does the narrative style and plot structure change in “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
9. How is the plot structure of “And Start West” different from the plot structures of the other vignettes in the novel?
10. What is the significance of Vigilante’s character in the novel? How does the Vigilante change?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)