|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving general surgery, which of the following did Dr. Benway specialize in?
2. At the orgy, what repeatedly sodomizes a young boy?
(a) An ostrich
(b) A reptile
(c) A flamingo
(d) A mugwump
3. According to William, what is lost during both the using of drugs and the forced rehabilitation of a person?
(a) Personal beauty
(b) Essential humanity
(c) Money and games
(d) Essential freedom
4. One of Williams drug induced visions involves a Guard wearing a suit made of what?
(b) Human flesh
(c) Animal skins
5. When was the Rime of the Ancient Mariner published?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following diseases is suffering from?
2. Where is the Vigilante sent for his crimes?
3. The Vigilante is described as though he were located where in Chapter 2?
4. What color is the mist that comes from the pen and is inhaled by the Sailor?
5. In what year was Naked Lunch originally published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Vigilante’s character in the novel? How does the Vigilante change?
2. How is the plot structure of “And Start West” different from the plot structures of the other vignettes in the novel?
3. What is symbolized by the disease Bang-utot in the narrative?
4. Why do the Sailor and “Fats” Terminal meet in “The Black Meat”? What takes place in their meeting?
5. How are the setting and characters described in the beginning of “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
6. What does the character of Joselito represent symbolically?
7. What is symbolized by Dr. Benway’s operation in “Hospital”?
8. How does the narrative style and plot structure change in “Hassan’s Rumpus Room”?
9. How is Dr. Benway viewed by those around him?
10. How is Joselito described? Where is he in the beginning of the chapter named for him?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)