Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author's mother insist on doing with Ya Ya?
(a) Sending for a nurse.
(b) Sending her to her sister.
(c) Putting her in a nursing home.
(d) Putting her to sleep.
2. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
(a) Cradles it.
(b) Taps his head.
(c) Crosses himself with it.
(d) Throws it at peers.
3. What denomination is the money in Lou Sedaris' dresser drawer?
(b) Silver dollars.
(d) One-dollar bills.
4. How old is the narrator when his grandfather died?
5. What is Ya Ya diagnosed with in the third essay?
Short Answer Questions
1. What home does Ya Ya finally end up at?
2. What is the narrator obsessed with licking in the second essay?
3. Who does "Cyclops" refer to in Naked?
4. How many steps does it take the narrator to walk home from school in the second essay?
5. What is the name of the family in the book the author finds in "Next of Kin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David come to believe he must find a job in "Something for Everyone"?
2. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
3. What does David's coworker do regarding money in "Something for Everyone"? How does David react?
4. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
5. What spurs the author to send for a brochure from a nudist colony?
6. How is a "pudding toss" described?
7. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
8. How does the author describe his and others' behavior in trying to hide their homosexuality?
9. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
10. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)