|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has one of the household members taken to using as toilet paper in "True Detective"?
(b) Bath towels.
2. What is Ya Ya's recently deceased pet?
(a) A dog.
(b) A hamster.
(c) A goldfish.
(d) A cat.
3. Where was the narrator/author born?
(a) Brooklyn, New York.
(b) Queens, New York.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) Endicott, New York.
4. Where does the narrator say his family sits in the church in the first essay?
(a) The awning.
(b) The first row.
(c) The last row.
(d) The balcony.
5. What does the author say he wanted a home with, as opposed to a fence?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A fortress.
(c) A moat.
(d) A lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person in the newspaper article was robbed of $300 and what?
2. What home does Ya Ya finally end up at?
3. Who does the author's father "dupe" into going to the golf course in essay six?
4. How does the author's father say his friend lost a foot?
5. Where does the author's family move when he's a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Next of Kin" become passed through the family? What finally happens to it?
2. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
3. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
4. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
5. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
6. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
7. Describe the family's participation at church as detailed in "Chipped Beef."
8. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
9. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
10. What leads Ya Ya to need to be cared for? How does this lead to arguments between the author's parents?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)