|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family in the book the author finds in "Next of Kin"?
(a) The Waltons.
(b) The Jacksons.
(c) The Rivers.
(d) The Whitmores.
2. What does the author's mother run over while taking him home from play practice?
(a) A cat.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A dog.
(d) A child.
3. Who does the author say wants to design a lunar module based on the shape of his skull?
(a) The Italians.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Russians.
4. What is the name of the patient who was a paranoid Tuscan?
5. What is the author's eldest sister's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the author's mother and older sister share a love for?
2. The author writes in "True Detective," that to listen to his mother you'd have thought the streets of Raleigh were crawling with what?
3. The person in the newspaper article was robbed of $300 and what?
4. What class does the narrator take when he is in junior high?
5. Who does "Ya Ya" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David do in order to clear his name in "True Detective"?
2. What happens after the golf tournament in "Women's Open"?
3. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
4. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
5. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
6. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
7. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
8. Why does David discover his mother sobbing in the bathroom in "Chipped Beef"? What is his consolation?
9. What happens when David's father visits him in New York?
10. Why does the author's mother leave behind a video for Lisa? What is on it?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)