|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is his best asset in the first essay?
(a) His hair.
(b) His skin.
(c) His nose.
(d) His eyes.
2. Who's tee does the author's father encourage Lisa to go get?
3. Where does the author's father store his money in the dresser?
(a) A kneesock.
(b) A coin box.
(c) A bag.
(d) A wallet.
4. Who leaves a large inheritance to the author's mother?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
5. Who does "Ya Ya" refer to?
(a) The author's grandmother.
(b) The author's girlfriend.
(c) The author's mother.
(d) The author's dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has one of the household members taken to using as toilet paper in "True Detective"?
2. The author writes in the first essay, "It seemed that every Christmas my mother was _______."
3. What does the narrator's father find in his room when he searches it?
4. Who comes to the house to speak to the author's mother in the second essay?
5. What does the author's father collect in a goldfish bowl for good luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
2. What is the eventual "cure" for David's tics? How?
3. What does Miss Chestnut scold David for in "A Plague of Tics"?
4. What does "Dix Hill" refer to? Why is this fascinating to the author?
5. What does David's father warn his children about, and how?
6. What is the first mystery in "True Detective"? How is it solved?
7. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
8. Where is Ya Ya from, and how do she and David's mother feel about each other?
9. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
10. What changes David's father's mind about Ya Ya's being taken to a care facility? Where does he take her?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)