|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say he wanted a home with, as opposed to a fence?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A moat.
(c) A lion.
(d) A fortress.
2. What does the narrator's father find in his room when he searches it?
(c) Porn magazines.
(d) A mechanical pencil.
3. What does the author's grandmother refer to his mother as?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Love bug.
(c) The girl.
(d) That woman.
4. What does the narrator do with his shoe obsessively in the second essay?
(a) Throws it at peers.
(b) Crosses himself with it.
(c) Taps his head.
(d) Cradles it.
5. What does the author's grandmother believe happened to her pet?
(a) It caught on fire.
(b) It was run over.
(c) It was eaten by a cat.
(d) It committed suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sibling of the author's holds an imaginary after school class in "Next of Kin"?
2. What is the narrator obsessed with licking in the second essay?
3. How many steps does it take the narrator to walk home from school in the second essay?
4. What color carpet does the author's father install in their living room?
5. Who receives a BB gun for his 12th birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is David's father's obsession? Where does he take them in "Women's Open"?
2. Why are the narrator's sisters kidnapped in "Chipped Beef"? How do his parents react?
3. What does Lisa complain about in "Women's Open"? How does her father react?
4. Why do David's teachers come to his home? What is their impression of his mother?
5. When does Ya Ya die? How does the family react?
6. How was David's father brought up? How is his mother's cooking described?
7. What does David's mother insist he stop doing to the cat? Why?
8. What does David encounter when he returns to Dix Hill?
9. Who injures the author in "Cyclops"? What is the result?
10. Describe what the title, "Next of Kin" refers to.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)