|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Breton think Nadja would have gone if she was rich in stead of the sanitarium?
2. What men does Breton say he admires?
3. What does Breton say he will give Nadja the next day?
4. How did Nadja get back at the man who hit her?
5. Why did Nadja decide not to work at butchers and bakers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Breton admire Nadja ability to entertain herself with stories?
2. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
3. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
4. Why does Breton's artist friend refuse to paint Nadja?
5. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
6. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
7. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
8. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
9. What draws Breton to the fact Nadja has power over men?
10. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)