|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton ask his artist friend to do for him?
2. Why did the woman leave her previous boyfriend?
3. What is Nadja's opinion of her father?
4. What does the woman say she is going to?
5. What is the name of the picture that depicts a cat tied down and trying to jump?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe three drawings Nadja draws as a symbol of her relationship with Breton.
2. What draws Breton to the fact Nadja has power over men?
3. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
4. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
5. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
6. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
7. Why does Breton cry in this section?
8. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
9. Describe the incident with the red window?
10. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Breton's life, and how do they change him? What does Breton still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)