|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say the last pages of the book are his chance to do?
2. What does Breton call compulsive?
3. What does Breton say be would do if he was put in a sanitarium?
4. Why does Nadja say she liked going out with Dear Friend?
5. What does Breton say he will never stop searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton learn about Nadja and her relationship with men in this section?
2. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
3. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
4. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
5. Why does Breton cry in this section?
6. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
7. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
8. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
9. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
10. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Breton's views on the following. What do they say about the way Breton would like to live life? Are his views realistic?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)