|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the artist think Nadja will do if he meets her?
2. What does Nadja ask Breton to bring with him the next time they meet?
3. What is the name of Breton's psychic?
4. What did Nadja's friend suggest she buy with the money he gave her?
5. What does Breton say be would do if he was put in a sanitarium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton feel about his relationship with Nadja in retrospect?
2. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
3. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
4. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
5. What draws Breton to the fact Nadja has power over men?
6. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
7. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
8. Why does Breton admire Nadja ability to entertain herself with stories?
9. What problem does Nadja say she once had with drugs?
10. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)