|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Breton is supposed to be obsessed by?
2. What does the woman say she is going to?
3. Who does the woman say she was in love but recently left?
4. What is the peddler selling in the bar?
5. Why is Breton distracted when he meets Nadja in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
2. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
3. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
4. What problem does Nadja say she once had with drugs?
5. Why does Breton admire Nadja ability to entertain herself with stories?
6. What draws Breton to the fact Nadja has power over men?
7. How does Breton think Nadja will cope in the sanitarium?
8. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
9. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
10. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)