|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nadja say has touched her about Breton?
2. Why did the woman leave her previous boyfriend?
3. What does Breton think Nadja thinks of him as?
4. Why does Nadja's mother like to ride the Metro?
5. Which member of her family does Nadja write to regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Breton think Nadja will cope in the sanitarium?
2. Describe three drawings Nadja draws as a symbol of her relationship with Breton.
3. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
4. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
5. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
6. Why does Breton admire Nadja ability to entertain herself with stories?
7. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
8. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
9. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
10. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What would Nadja say about Breton if the affair was told from her point of view? What information about the affair does Breton hold back and why? Is it possible to be entirely honest about such an event in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)