|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nadja think Breton will recreate their relationship?
2. What is the name of the bar Breton meets Nadja?
3. What does Nadja admit to Breton when he meets her by chance?
4. What does Breton think Nadja thinks of him as?
5. How does the waiter act when he serves them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
2. What does Breton learn about Nadja and her relationship with men in this section?
3. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
4. What does Breton feel about Nadja during the day on October the 7th?
5. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
6. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
7. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
8. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
9. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
10. Why does Breton cry in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)