|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nadja call the man she met in Paris who was in his seventies?
2. What has a doctor advised Nadja to do?
3. What did Nadja's friend suggest she buy with the money he gave her?
4. What kind of discussions does Breton say him and Nadja could no longer avoid?
5. What men does Breton say he admires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
2. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
3. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
4. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
5. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
6. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
7. What does Breton learn about Nadja and her relationship with men in this section?
8. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
9. What is Breton's opinion on beauty?
10. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence is there to suggest that Nadja is not of sound mind? Is Breton right when he says that Nadja would not have been hospitalized if she had more money? What does this comment say about French society at that time? How will the sanitarium affect Nadja?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)