|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the picture that depicts a cat tied down and trying to jump?
2. Which member of her family does Nadja write to regularly?
3. Why did Nadja decide not to work at butchers and bakers?
4. What does Breton ask his artist friend to do for him?
5. What does Nadja invent for Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Breton's artist friend refuse to paint Nadja?
2. What does Breton learn about Nadja and her relationship with men in this section?
3. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
4. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
5. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
6. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
7. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
8. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
9. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
10. What is Breton's opinion on beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)