|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton think Nadja thinks of him as?
2. Who does Breton go to the bar with at the beginning of this section?
3. What is the name of the woman Breton is supposed to be obsessed by?
4. What does Breton call compulsive?
5. What is Breton unwilling to admit about the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
2. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
3. Describe three drawings Nadja draws as a symbol of her relationship with Breton.
4. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
5. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
6. Describe the incident with the red window?
7. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
8. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
9. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
10. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there to suggest that Nadja is not of sound mind? Is Breton right when he says that Nadja would not have been hospitalized if she had more money? What does this comment say about French society at that time? How will the sanitarium affect Nadja?
Essay Topic 2
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 3
What do Nadja's previous relationships with men say about her as a person? Why do her stories about what happened in her past cause Breton to distance himself from her?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)