|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nadja babble about in the courtyard?
2. What kind of book does Breton bring with him to the meeting?
3. What does Nadja notice about Breton when they meet at the beginning of this section?
4. What men does Breton say he admires?
5. What does Breton say he will give Nadja the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
2. Describe the incident with the red window?
3. Why does Breton cry in this section?
4. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
5. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
6. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
7. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
8. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
9. Describe three drawings Nadja draws as a symbol of her relationship with Breton.
10. Why does Breton's artist friend refuse to paint Nadja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Breton's life, and how do they change him? What does Breton still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)