|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of book does Breton bring with him to the meeting?
2. What does the artist think Nadja will do if he meets her?
3. What does Breton say he has now yielded the desire to do?
4. What is the month at the beginning of this section?
5. What does Breton call compulsive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
2. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
3. Why does Breton's artist friend refuse to paint Nadja?
4. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
5. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
6. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
7. Why does Breton cry in this section?
8. What does Breton feel about Nadja during the day on October the 7th?
9. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
10. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)