|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nadja say people look at them?
2. What is the name of the hotel Nadja stayed during her first night in Paris?
3. What kind of book does Breton bring with him to the meeting?
4. What does Nadja babble about in the courtyard?
5. What is Nadja's opinion of her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
2. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
3. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
4. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
5. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
6. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
7. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
8. Why does Breton cry in this section?
9. What does Breton feel about Nadja during the day on October the 7th?
10. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence is there to suggest that Nadja is not of sound mind? Is Breton right when he says that Nadja would not have been hospitalized if she had more money? What does this comment say about French society at that time? How will the sanitarium affect Nadja?
Essay Topic 3
What are Breton's opinions on life how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Breton's views?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)