|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Breton think will annoy Nadja about the sanitarium?
2. What does Nadja say she always does to keep herself amused?
3. What has a doctor advised Nadja to do?
4. What is the only thing Breton thinks could have kept him and Nadja together?
5. Who warned the artist about a woman called Nadia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
2. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
3. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
4. What does Breton feel about Nadja during the day on October the 7th?
5. Describe three drawings Nadja draws as a symbol of her relationship with Breton.
6. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
7. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
8. What does Breton feel about his relationship with Nadja in retrospect?
9. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
10. Why does Breton's artist friend refuse to paint Nadja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)