|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Breton's psychic?
2. What angers Breton about the woman?
3. What is the peddler selling in the bar?
4. What kind of book does Breton bring with him to the meeting?
5. What did Nadja's friend suggest she buy with the money he gave her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
2. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
3. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
4. Why does Breton admire Nadja ability to entertain herself with stories?
5. How does Nadja her power over men can help Breton?
6. What does Nadja tell Breton about her previous love affair?
7. What is Breton's opinion on beauty?
8. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
9. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
10. Why does Breton cry in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there to suggest that Nadja is not of sound mind? Is Breton right when he says that Nadja would not have been hospitalized if she had more money? What does this comment say about French society at that time? How will the sanitarium affect Nadja?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)