|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
2. What does Breton say the actors do in the Theater Moderne rather than listen to each other?
3. Where does the Principal find the dead body?
4. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
5. In what order does Breton say he will discuss his memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
2. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
3. What is Breton's opinion of work?
4. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
5. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
6. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
7. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
8. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
9. What does Breton feel about film-going?
10. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the elements of a surrealist work? In what way is the novel a surrealist work?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
Essay Topic 3
What do Nadja's previous relationships with men say about her as a person? Why do her stories about what happened in her past cause Breton to distance himself from her?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)