|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French city does Breton feel, other than Paris, something worthwhile can happen to him?
2. What question does Breton pose at the beginning of the novel?
3. Whose poems does Breton say evoke deep emotions in him?
4. What does the woman at the market give Breton?
5. Who does the young man mistake Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Breton's opinion of work?
2. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
3. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
4. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
5. What does Breton say he believes about himself?
6. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
7. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
8. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
9. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
10. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)