|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls in the room after the silence?
2. What statue does Breton say has always fascinated him?
3. What would Hugo say when he saw the largest gate?
4. What did the engraving the woman show Breton look like from straight on?
5. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
2. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
3. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
4. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
5. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
6. What does Breton say he believes about himself?
7. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
8. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
9. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
10. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would Nadja say about Breton if the affair was told from her point of view? What information about the affair does Breton hold back and why? Is it possible to be entirely honest about such an event in one's life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)