|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton compare the bird in his ceiling to?
2. Where does the Principal find the dead body?
3. Who does the old woman say she has just a call from?
4. What would Juliet say in response to Hugo's remark about the trees?
5. Whose poems does Breton say evoke deep emotions in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
2. Describe Nadja and Breton's meeting on October 11.
3. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
4. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
5. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
6. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
7. What problem does Nadja say she once had with drugs?
8. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
9. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
10. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the elements of a surrealist work? In what way is the novel a surrealist work?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
Essay Topic 3
What would Nadja say about Breton if the affair was told from her point of view? What information about the affair does Breton hold back and why? Is it possible to be entirely honest about such an event in one's life?
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)