|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the word Rogue appear as when looked at at a certain angle?
2. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
3. How does the insect try to choke Breton?
4. What words does Andre Breton see appearing on several shop fronts?
5. Why does Breton like to go to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle in the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Nadja say she once had with drugs?
2. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
3. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
4. How does Nadja act when she feels unwell?
5. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
6. Why does Breton disagree with what Nadja's mother does in her spare time?
7. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
8. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
9. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
10. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What do Nadja's previous relationships with men say about her as a person? Why do her stories about what happened in her past cause Breton to distance himself from her?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)