|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton love to visit in Nantes?
2. What does Breton accept as a material necessity?
3. What is the play Breton says he has admired?
4. What did one author to another that he should change about his heroine?
5. What does the insect do at the machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton envy about Desnos?
2. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
3. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
4. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
5. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
6. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
7. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
8. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
9. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
10. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 2
What would happen if Breton and Nadja ever met again? What does Breton thinks would happen if he met Nadja again?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)