|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say the Manoir d'Ango leaves in the courtyard when it explodes?
2. How does Breton describe the acting of the performers at Theater Moderne?
3. Why does Breton hit the insect with his cane?
4. How does the insect try to choke Breton?
5. What does Breton compare the bird in his ceiling to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
2. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
3. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
4. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
5. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
6. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
7. What does Breton say he believes about himself?
8. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
9. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
10. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Breton's opinions on life how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Breton's views?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)