|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statue does Breton say has always fascinated him?
2. Who once handed Breton and Eluard to the police?
3. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
4. What would Juliette when she pointed to the smaller gate?
5. Where does Breton see the naked woman wearing only a coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
2. What is Breton's opinion of work?
3. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
4. What does Breton say he believes about himself?
5. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
6. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
7. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
8. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
9. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
10. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)