|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton describe as a living room at the bottom of the lake?
2. What does Breton say is his favorite theater?
3. Who once handed Breton and Eluard to the police?
4. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
5. What does Breton visit in Saint-Ouen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
2. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
3. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
4. What does Breton feel about film-going?
5. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
6. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
7. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
8. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
9. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
10. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there to suggest that Nadja is not of sound mind? Is Breton right when he says that Nadja would not have been hospitalized if she had more money? What does this comment say about French society at that time? How will the sanitarium affect Nadja?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What would happen if Breton and Nadja ever met again? What does Breton thinks would happen if he met Nadja again?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)