|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the young man mistake Breton?
2. What has the woman who knocks on Breton's hotel room door come to say?
3. Where does the Etienne Dolet statue stand?
4. What does Breton describe as a living room at the bottom of the lake?
5. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
2. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
3. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
4. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
5. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
6. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
7. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
8. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
9. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
10. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are Breton's opinions on life how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Breton's views?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Breton's life, and how do they change him? What does Breton still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)