|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton accept as a material necessity?
2. What would Hugo say when him and Juliet would pass the two trees?
3. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
4. What is Breton's first point of departure?
5. What color was the insect Breton dreamed about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
2. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
3. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
4. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
5. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
6. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
7. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
8. What does Breton feel about film-going?
9. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
10. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)