|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Breton hit the insect with his cane?
2. What was the color of the woman's glove?
3. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
4. What did the engraving look like from a certain angle?
5. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
Short Essay Questions
1. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
2. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
3. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
4. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
5. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
6. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
7. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
8. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
9. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
10. What does Breton envy about Desnos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)