|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher's notes does Breton find in the Rimbaud book?
2. What is the name of the person in the play the Principal is waiting for?
3. What kind of films does Breton have a weakness for?
4. Who does Breton say he feels closer to than any of his friends?
5. How does Breton describe the complexion of the naked woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
2. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
3. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
4. What does Breton feel about film-going?
5. What is Breton's opinion of work?
6. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
7. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
8. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
9. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
10. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Breton's life, and how do they change him? What does Breton still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)