|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Juliette when she pointed to the smaller gate?
2. What kind of authors does Breton say he despises?
3. What does Breton say he is determined by knowing?
4. What does Breton say the author's life is victimized by?
5. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
2. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
3. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
4. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
5. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
6. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
7. What is Breton's opinion of work?
8. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
9. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
10. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Breton's life, and how do they change him? What does Breton still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)