|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Breton's first point of departure?
2. Which painter's paintings does Breton say have magnificent light?
3. What does the author say the two gates mirror about Hugo?
4. What falls in the room after the silence?
5. What does the woman at the market give Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
2. What does Breton feel about film-going?
3. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
4. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
5. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
6. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
7. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
8. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
9. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
10. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Breton's views on the following. What do they say about the way Breton would like to live life? Are his views realistic?
Essay Topic 2
What would happen if Breton and Nadja ever met again? What does Breton thinks would happen if he met Nadja again?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)