|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the famous archway at the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
2. What painter does Breton mention in this section?
3. How does the insect try to choke Breton?
4. What was the name of Victor Hugo's lover?
5. What does Breton describe as a living room at the bottom of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
2. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
3. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
4. What does Breton feel about film-going?
5. What does Breton envy about Desnos?
6. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
7. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
8. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
9. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
10. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)