|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Breton like to go to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle in the afternoon?
2. What kind of authors does Breton say he despises?
3. What color did Flaubert want to replicate in his novel "Madame Bovary"?
4. What would Juliet say in response to Hugo's remark about the trees?
5. What color did Flaubert want to give an impression of in his novel "Salammbo"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
2. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
3. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
4. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
5. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
6. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
7. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
8. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
9. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
10. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)