|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French city does Breton feel, other than Paris, something worthwhile can happen to him?
2. What does Breton say is his favorite theater?
3. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
4. What would Hugo say when him and Juliet would pass the two trees?
5. What question does Breton pose at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
2. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
3. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
4. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
5. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
6. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
7. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
8. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
9. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
10. What does Breton feel about film-going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Breton's opinions on life how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Breton's views?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if he set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Breton use images as part of his story? How would it change the meaning of the story if he didn't publish these images?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)