|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
2. What did the word Rogue appear as when looked at at a certain angle?
3. What does Breton love to visit in Nantes?
4. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
5. What would Juliette when she pointed to the smaller gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
2. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
3. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
4. What steps does Nadja say she has taken to ensure her health?
5. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
6. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
7. Describe the incident with the red window?
8. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
9. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
10. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)