|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Breton see the naked woman wearing only a coat?
2. Why does Breton say he doesn't like Comte de Lautréamont's poetry?
3. What is the name of the person in the play the Principal is waiting for?
4. What kind of films does Breton have a weakness for?
5. How does Breton describe the complexion of the naked woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton envy about Desnos?
2. What is Breton's opinion of work?
3. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
4. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
5. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
6. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
7. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
8. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
9. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
10. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the elements of a surrealist work? In what way is the novel a surrealist work?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)