|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton accept as a material necessity?
2. What does Breton dream about?
3. What did the engraving look like from a certain angle?
4. When was the only time Chirico said he could paint?
5. What would Hugo say when he saw the largest gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens Nadja on the first train?
2. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
3. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
4. What does Breton feel about Nadja during the day on October the 7th?
5. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
6. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
7. What does Breton feel about his relationship with Nadja in retrospect?
8. What is Breton's wife's role in this section?
9. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
10. What draws Breton to the fact Nadja has power over men?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)