|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Breton always wished to meet in the woods?
2. When was the only time Chirico said he could paint?
3. What does Breton say he strives to discover?
4. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
5. What kind of films does Breton have a weakness for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
2. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
3. What does Breton feel about film-going?
4. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
5. Describe the awkward meeting Breton and Nadja have on October the 6th.
6. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
7. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
8. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
9. Why does Breton send his friend Paul Eluard to Nadja's house?
10. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 3
How does Breton's affair affect his life and thoughts about life? Is the way Nadja lives life close to Breton's own surrealist philosophies? How would their relationship have developed if they had continued seeing each other?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)