|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say will have to examine about Chirico before we understand him?
2. What was the name of Victor Hugo's lover?
3. What would Juliet say in response to Hugo's remark about the trees?
4. What kind of films does Breton have a weakness for?
5. How does the insect try to choke Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Breton want Nadja to read his books?
2. How do Rimbaud's poems help Breton to meet a girl?
3. What is Breton's opinion of sanitariums?
4. How did Breton and Nadja almost kill themselves?
5. What does Nadja tell Breton about her two friends?
6. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
7. What does Breton recall about the film "Grip of the Octopus"?
8. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
9. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
10. How does Nadja anger Breton in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)