|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature creeps around the theater during a performance?
2. What did the engraving look like from a certain angle?
3. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
4. What does Breton say the actors do in the Theater Moderne rather than listen to each other?
5. Who is pictured is on plate number four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Rimbaud's poems help Breton to meet a girl?
2. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
3. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
4. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
5. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
6. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
7. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
8. What does Breton feel about film-going?
9. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
10. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 2
What would Nadja say about Breton if the affair was told from her point of view? What information about the affair does Breton hold back and why? Is it possible to be entirely honest about such an event in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
What are the elements of a surrealist work? In what way is the novel a surrealist work?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)