|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say he tries to use his experience to examine?
2. What would Hugo say when him and Juliet would pass the two trees?
3. What does Breton say he strives to discover?
4. What was the color of the woman's glove?
5. Who has Breton always wished to meet in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident with the lady and the glove.
2. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
3. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
4. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
5. What does Breton learn about the Maison Rogue sign?
6. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
7. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
8. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
9. What does Breton feel about film-going?
10. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there to suggest Nadja has a great power over men? How does Nadja use her power to get what she wants? How does the power she has influence the way Breton feels about her and the way their relationship evolves?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)