|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color did Flaubert want to give an impression of in his novel "Salammbo"?
2. What has the woman who knocks on Breton's hotel room door come to say?
3. Who once handed Breton and Eluard to the police?
4. How does Breton describe the acting of the performers at Theater Moderne?
5. Who does the young man mistake Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
2. What does Breton remember about the woman who knocks on his door?
3. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
4. What happened at Saint-Ouen market?
5. What does Breton envy about Desnos?
6. What does Breton feel about film-going?
7. What does Breton say he respects about Tristan Tzara?
8. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
9. Why does Breton first decide to speak to Nadja?
10. What does Breton say he wants to find out about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nadja maintain her power over men? How does Breton cope with the power hold over him? What suggestions are there that Breton holds a similar power over her?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)