|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the author who wrote Madame Bovery?
2. Which painter's paintings does Breton say have magnificent light?
3. Who pointed out the Maison Rogue sign to Breton?
4. What poet does the woman Breton meets by chance on the street recite to him?
5. What does the woman at the market give Breton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
2. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
3. Why does Breton feel close to Huysmans?
4. What does Breton find disturbing about the naked woman he sees in the theater?
5. How does Breton know Philippe Soupault?
6. What connection does Breton make with the wood coal signs he sees?
7. What does Breton think Hugo's ritual says about him as a person?
8. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
9. Who does Breton become acquainted with Paul Eluard?
10. Why does Breton say he goes to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Breton and Nadja.
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Breton's views on the following people. How does he use them to express his own views about life and art?
1. Gustave Flaubert.
2. Victor Hugo.
3. Georgio de Chirico.
4. Joris-Karl Huysmans.
5. Comte de Lautréamont.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)