|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Breton say the author's life is victimized by?
(a) Critical analysis.
(b) The media.
(c) The events of everyday life.
(d) People's feelings.
2. What words does Andre Breton see appearing on several shop fronts?
(c) Grands Hommes.
(d) Les Champs Magnetiques.
3. What color did Flaubert want to replicate in his novel "Madame Bovary"?
(b) The greyness of old people's skin.
(c) Moldy wood.
(d) A sea beaten rock.
4. What does Breton say the Manoir d'Ango leaves in the courtyard when it explodes?
(a) Human hair.
(b) Dove feathers.
(c) Human bones.
(d) Blank paper.
5. What kind of authors does Breton say he despises?
(a) Writers who separate themselves from their characters.
(b) Writers who write short sentences.
(c) Writers who write long, rambling sentences.
(d) Writers who spend too long structuring their books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the play Breton says he has admired?
2. What is the name of the famous archway at the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
3. Who skull does Breton say the log connects with?
4. Which artist does Breton say he has much in common with?
5. What French city does Breton feel, other than Paris, something worthwhile can happen to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Breton say he admires Flaubert?
2. How does Breton plan to approach the narrative?
3. What problem does Nadja say she once had with drugs?
4. What does Breton feel about film-going?
5. Describe the first act of the play Les Detraquees.
6. How does Breton interpret the plot of Les Detraquees?
7. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
8. What puzzles Breton about the Les Detraquees?
9. What does Breton feel about his relationship with Nadja in retrospect?
10. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)