|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the famous archway at the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
(a) Arch of Liberty.
(b) Arc de Triumphe.
(c) Porte Saint-Denis.
(d) Grip of the Octopus.
2. What did the engraving the woman show Breton look like from straight on?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A book.
(c) A swan.
(d) A rose.
3. What does Breton accept as a material necessity?
4. What does Breton compare the bird in his ceiling to?
(a) A spider.
(b) A duck.
(c) A goat.
(d) A grasshopper.
5. What is the play Breton says he has admired?
(a) Les Detraquees.
(b) Les Humana.
(c) The Sea Gull.
(d) Look Back in Anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color did Flaubert want to replicate in his novel "Madame Bovary"?
2. What is the name of the person in the play the Principal is waiting for?
3. What has the woman who knocks on Breton's hotel room door come to say?
4. Whose poems does Breton say evoke deep emotions in him?
5. Who has Breton always wished to meet in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Breton comment about his fantasy of meeting a naked woman in the woods?
2. What does Breton feel about his relationship with Nadja in retrospect?
3. What kind of literature does Breton say he enjoys?
4. Describe Breton's dream in this section.
5. What story does Breton relate about Victor Hugo?
6. What does Nadja tell Breton about her parents?
7. How do Rimbaud's poems help Breton to meet a girl?
8. What does Breton think one needs to do to understand an artist's work?
9. Why does Breton feel he has stopped understanding Nadja?
10. Why does Nadja think people look at them?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)