|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose poems does Breton say evoke deep emotions in him?
2. What is Breton's first point of departure?
(a) Hotel de Grande Hommes.
(b) Hotel Varengeville-sur-Mer.
(c) Hotel la Stranger.
(d) Hotel Roulette.
3. What was the name of Victor Hugo's lover?
(a) Nina Hagen.
(b) Helena Freud.
(c) Daniella Farkas.
(d) Juliette Drouet.
4. Who does the young man mistake Breton?
(a) A friend killed in the war.
(b) His brother.
(c) A painter.
(d) Another writer.
5. What falls in the room after the silence?
(a) A feather.
(b) A knife.
(c) A light bulb.
(d) A balloon.
6. How does Breton describe the complexion of the naked woman?
(a) Corn yellow.
(b) Dead white.
(c) Dead blue.
(d) Fire red.
7. What color did Flaubert want to replicate in his novel "Madame Bovary"?
(b) A sea beaten rock.
(c) Moldy wood.
(d) The greyness of old people's skin.
8. What does Breton say he strives to discover?
(a) His relation to other men.
(b) His intellectual capabilities.
(c) His real parents.
(d) The love of his life.
9. Who has Breton always wished to meet in the woods?
(a) A naked woman.
(b) An elf.
(c) An old hag.
(d) A talking tree.
10. What does the insect do at the machine?
(a) Hits it with its tail.
(b) Blows it up.
(c) Licks the metal.
(d) Puts money in the slot.
11. Why does Breton say he doesn't like Comte de Lautréamont's poetry?
(a) He uses only simple words.
(b) He hides behind his work.
(c) It is nothing but style.
(d) It says nothing about life.
12. What has the woman who knocks on Breton's hotel room door come to say?
(a) She has come to ask him for a drink.
(b) She has come to recommend someone to him.
(c) She has come to ask him to pay his bill.
(d) She has come to warn him about the police.
13. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
(a) A shed.
(b) A basement.
(c) A garage.
(d) A hut.
14. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
(a) What he cannot.
(b) The stupidity of the French government.
(c) The future.
(d) His connection with the past.
15. What French city does Breton feel, other than Paris, something worthwhile can happen to him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Principal find the dead body?
2. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
3. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
4. What city does the man in the film invade?
5. What words does Andre Breton see appearing on several shop fronts?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)