|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
(a) A museum.
(b) A boy's school.
(c) A girl's school.
(d) An alleyway.
2. What color was the insect Breton dreamed about?
(a) Pebble colored.
(b) Mud colored.
(c) Sand colored.
(d) Moss colored.
3. What was the color of the woman's glove?
4. Why does Breton hit the insect with his cane?
(a) It is too ugly to bear.
(b) It is trying to destroy the machine.
(c) It is trying to bite his neck.
(d) He feels it has committed fraud.
5. Where does the Etienne Dolet statue stand?
(a) Grands Hommes.
(b) Place Maubert.
(c) Linkin Park.
(d) Place d'Ango.
6. What question does Breton pose at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Is love real?
(b) What am I doing here?
(c) Do we all live in the same reality?
(d) Who am I?
7. In what order does Breton say he will discuss his memories?
(a) In order of how they come to mind.
(b) In reverse order.
(c) In chronological order.
(d) In regimental order.
8. Where did Breton first meet Eluard?
(a) The Hotel des Grands Hommes.
(b) The Conservataire Renee Maubel.
(c) The Etienne Dolet.
(d) The Manoir d'Ango.
9. What words does Andre Breton see appearing on several shop fronts?
(a) Grands Hommes.
(b) Les Champs Magnetiques.
10. Which painter's paintings does Breton say have magnificent light?
(c) Van Gogh.
11. What is the name of the famous archway at the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle?
(a) Arch of Liberty.
(b) Arc de Triumphe.
(c) Grip of the Octopus.
(d) Porte Saint-Denis.
12. What is the name of the film Breton mentions in this section?
(a) The Grip of the Octopus.
(b) Chinese Mayhem.
(c) The Tentacles of Hope.
(d) The Fish in the Sea.
13. Why does Breton like to go to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle in the afternoon?
(a) He feels something will happen there.
(b) It gives him a sense of peace.
(c) It is full of beautiful women.
(d) He can work there without people shouting at him.
14. What did the engraving the woman show Breton look like from straight on?
(a) A rose.
(b) A book.
(c) A swan.
(d) A tiger.
15. What does the author say the two gates mirror about Hugo?
(a) His strengths and weaknesses.
(b) His humor and seriousness.
(c) His friends and foes.
(d) His loves and hates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pointed out the Maison Rogue sign to Breton?
2. What does Breton say he tries to use his experience to examine?
3. What does Breton accept as a material necessity?
4. What philosopher's notes does Breton find in the Rimbaud book?
5. Who does Breton say he was talking to on the balcony whilst watching Couleur du Temps?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)