|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Breton say he tries to use his experience to examine?
2. What does the author say the two gates mirror about Hugo?
(a) His friends and foes.
(b) His humor and seriousness.
(c) His loves and hates.
(d) His strengths and weaknesses.
3. What period does Breton say Desnos is having when he visits him?
(a) His tired period.
(b) His nap period.
(c) His crazy period.
(d) His yellow period.
4. What does Breton visit in Saint-Ouen?
(a) A cinema.
(b) A museum.
(c) A theater.
(d) A flea market.
5. Who does Breton say he feels closer to than any of his friends?
(c) Van Gogh.
(d) Francis Bacon.
6. Who pointed out the Maison Rogue sign to Breton?
(a) Louis Aragon.
(b) Albert Camus.
(d) Van Gogh.
7. What is Breton's first point of departure?
(a) Hotel la Stranger.
(b) Hotel Roulette.
(c) Hotel Varengeville-sur-Mer.
(d) Hotel de Grande Hommes.
8. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
(a) How far we can push ourselves.
(b) A sense of humor.
(c) The true meaning of life.
(d) Our relationship to others.
9. Which of the following does Breton say we have to find Chirico's views on before we can understand his work?
10. Where does Breton see the naked woman wearing only a coat?
(a) The Blue Castle.
(b) The Trance House.
(c) The Electric Palace.
(d) The Hippy Hall.
11. What was Breton offered as accommodation at the Manoir de Ango?
(a) A hut.
(b) A basement.
(c) A shed.
(d) A garage.
12. Which painter's paintings does Breton say have magnificent light?
(b) Van Gogh.
13. What does the insect do at the machine?
(a) Hits it with its tail.
(b) Puts money in the slot.
(c) Licks the metal.
(d) Blows it up.
14. What would Hugo say when he saw the largest gate?
(a) Bridal gate, madame.
(b) Main entrance, madame.
(c) Pedestrian gate. madame.
(d) Servant gate, madame.
15. Where did Breton first meet Eluard?
(a) The Conservataire Renee Maubel.
(b) The Etienne Dolet.
(c) The Manoir d'Ango.
(d) The Hotel des Grands Hommes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton say the Manoir d'Ango leaves in the courtyard when it explodes?
2. What does Breton say the story about Hugo and the gates make him feel?
3. What was the color of the woman's glove?
4. Why does Breton hit the insect with his cane?
5. Who once handed Breton and Eluard to the police?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)