|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Breton say we can never hope to discover through work?
(a) Our relationship to others.
(b) A sense of humor.
(c) How far we can push ourselves.
(d) The true meaning of life.
2. What did the word Rogue appear as when looked at at a certain angle?
3. What does Breton love to visit in Nantes?
(a) A lake.
(b) A museum.
(c) The beach.
(d) A park.
4. What does Breton say Desnos is able to see?
(a) His connection with the past.
(b) What he cannot.
(c) The future.
(d) The stupidity of the French government.
5. What would Juliette when she pointed to the smaller gate?
(a) Servant gate, monsieur.
(b) Main entrance, monsieur.
(c) Bridal gate, monsieur.
(d) Pedestrian gate, monsieur.
6. What question does Breton pose at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Who am I?
(b) What am I doing here?
(c) Is love real?
(d) Do we all live in the same reality?
7. How does Breton describe the complexion of the naked woman?
(a) Fire red.
(b) Dead blue.
(c) Dead white.
(d) Corn yellow.
8. Which painter's paintings does Breton say have magnificent light?
(b) Van Gogh.
9. What was the name of Victor Hugo's lover?
(a) Daniella Farkas.
(b) Nina Hagen.
(c) Helena Freud.
(d) Juliette Drouet.
10. What color was the insect Breton dreamed about?
(a) Mud colored.
(b) Moss colored.
(c) Sand colored.
(d) Pebble colored.
11. What does the woman at the market give Breton?
(a) A copy of one of her poems.
(b) A beer.
(c) A copy of one of her short stories.
(d) A watch.
12. What kind of authors does Breton say he despises?
(a) Writers who spend too long structuring their books.
(b) Writers who write short sentences.
(c) Writers who write long, rambling sentences.
(d) Writers who separate themselves from their characters.
13. What period does Breton say Desnos is having when he visits him?
(a) His tired period.
(b) His crazy period.
(c) His nap period.
(d) His yellow period.
14. What does Breton say he tries to use his experience to examine?
15. Who does Breton say he feels closer to than any of his friends?
(a) Van Gogh.
(b) Francis Bacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Breton describe as a living room at the bottom of the lake?
2. Where does the Principal find the dead body?
3. Who skull does Breton say the log connects with?
4. Why does Breton say he doesn't like Comte de Lautréamont's poetry?
5. What does the author say the two gates mirror about Hugo?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)