|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Hugo say when him and Juliet would pass the two trees?
(a) Samson and Deliah.
(b) Iron and steel.
(c) Jesus and John the Baptist.
(d) Philemon and Baucis.
2. What does Breton say the story about Hugo and the gates make him feel?
(a) A sense of reality.
(b) A sense of age.
(c) A sense of proportion.
(d) A sense of dread.
3. What does Breton describe as a living room at the bottom of the lake?
(a) The theater's stage.
(b) The theater's bathroom.
(c) The theater's bar.
(d) The theater's auditorium.
4. Which of the following does Breton say we have to find Chirico's views on before we can understand his work?
5. What does Breton say he strives to discover?
(a) His relation to other men.
(b) The love of his life.
(c) His intellectual capabilities.
(d) His real parents.
6. What does the woman at the market give Breton?
(a) A copy of one of her short stories.
(b) A beer.
(c) A copy of one of her poems.
(d) A watch.
7. Who is pictured is on plate number four?
(a) Andre Breton.
(c) Paul Eluard.
8. Why does Breton say he doesn't like Comte de Lautréamont's poetry?
(a) He uses only simple words.
(b) It says nothing about life.
(c) It is nothing but style.
(d) He hides behind his work.
9. What would Juliet say in response to Hugo's remark about the trees?
(b) How amusing.
(d) Well done sir.
10. What does Breton hope his observations will make men aware of?
(a) The complexity of their thoughts.
(b) The beauty of their simple nature.
(c) The importance of themselves as people.
(d) The inadequacy of their self-evaluation.
11. What does Breton dream about?
(a) Conversations he had the previous day.
(b) Writing his novel.
(c) Cooking biscuits.
(d) His addiction to coffee.
12. Where does the plot of Breton's favorite play take place?
(a) A museum.
(b) A girl's school.
(c) An alleyway.
(d) A boy's school.
13. How does Breton describe the acting of the performers at Theater Moderne?
14. What creature creeps around the theater during a performance?
15. What does the insect do at the machine?
(a) Blows it up.
(b) Licks the metal.
(c) Hits it with its tail.
(d) Puts money in the slot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Breton like to go to the Boulevard Bonne-Nouvelle in the afternoon?
2. Where did Breton first meet Eluard?
3. What statue does Breton say has always fascinated him?
4. Who has Breton always wished to meet in the woods?
5. What French city does Breton feel, other than Paris, something worthwhile can happen to him?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)