|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Nergal and Ereshkigal, Babylonian Version and Amarna Version.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Babylonian version of Gilgamesh's story, what incites the battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
(a) Gilgamesh attempts to kill Shamkat.
(b) Gilgamesh tries to seduce Shamkat.
(c) Enkidu kills Gilgamesh's mistress.
(d) Enkidu did not bow to Gilgamesh.
2. About what does Ea question Nergal upon the arrival of Namtar?
(a) Nergal did not bow to Namtar.
(b) Nergal slapped Namtar in the face.
(c) Nergal refused to look Namtar in the eyes.
(d) Nergal spat on Namtar upon his arrival.
3. What Phoenician god might be based on the legend of Ereshkigal and Nergal?
4. What is unique about the plant Gilgamesh retrieves from the Apsu?
(a) It grants immortality.
(b) It is able to feed a small town for three months.
(c) It grants the finder a wish.
(d) It is the only one of its kind in the world.
5. What reasons does Enki give for instructing Antrahasis to build his boat?
(a) He wanted to humiliate Ellil.
(b) He was asked to intervene by Belet-ili.
(c) He wanted to be sure that there would still be life on earth.
(d) He wanted to be sure that the new race of humans would worship him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ereshkigal keep Nergal from killing her in the Amarna version?
2. What mercy does Ea grant to Gilgamesh in response to the man's prayers?
3. What does Ea advise Nergal to refrain from while in the Underworld?
4. How many gates must one pass through to reach Kurnugi?
5. What biblical character is similar to Atrahasis?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)