|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Descent of Ishtar to the Underworld.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat does Ishtar use when addressing the gatekeeper of the Underworld?
(a) She will make the dead rise to prey on the living.
(b) She will kill Namtar.
(c) She will force Ereshkigal to leave her throne.
(d) She will not allow another soul to pass through the gates.
2. Who is Ereshkigal?
(a) Goddess of the earth.
(b) Queen of the Underworld.
(c) Queen of the mountains.
(d) Goddess of the sun.
3. What happens to the plant Gilgamesh took from the Apsu?
(a) It is stolen by Ishtar.
(b) It is lost in a storm.
(c) It is eaten by Gilgamesh in a trick from Ishtar.
(d) It is stolen by a snake.
4. What gesture does Ninsun extend before Gilgamesh and Enkidu go to stop Humbaba?
(a) She blesses Enkidu.
(b) She asks Gilgamesh and Enkidu to pray with her.
(c) She adopts Enkidu as another son.
(d) She disowns Gilgamesh so that he will carry no guilt of abandonment with him on his journey.
5. What reason does the author give for noting similarities between these myths and other, well-known stories?
(a) It allows the reader to see that the Mesopotamian myths came first.
(b) It allows the reader to see the progression of gender relations through stories.
(c) It allows the reader to see the differences in the relationship between man and god.
(d) It allows the reader to easier relate to the myths.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what medium where these myths originally found?
2. Why does the author of this book believe it is necessary to understand where the stories of several different cultures originated?
3. In what tradition where these myths originally related?
4. What does Enki give Belet-ili?
5. What Greek goddess is heavily connected to Ishtar?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)