|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Epic of Gilgamesh - Standard version and Old Babylonian Version.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason is given for the myths of this book being the basis of stories for other cultures?
(a) The people of Mesopotamia often sent scrolls to churches of other faiths.
(b) People of other countries frequently travelled through Mesopotamia.
(c) The people of Mesopotamia traveled the world.
(d) Mesopotamia created one of the first traveling libraries.
2. How long does Enki believe the flood will last?
(a) Forty days and forty nights.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
3. How does Ut-napishtium prove to Gilgamesh how many days the latter man slept?
(a) Ut-napishtium put a cut on Gilgamesh's leg for each day.
(b) Ut-napishtium planted a tree for each day Gilgamesh slept.
(c) Ut-napishtium had Shamash stand as witness.
(d) Ut-napishtium's wife baked a loaf of bread for each day Gilgamesh slept.
4. What theory does the author suggest as the origin for the tale of Atrahasis?
(a) It explains why New Years is a celebration all around the world.
(b) It is an explanation for why the priestesses of Shamash were never allowed to have children.
(c) It explains how the rivers Tigris and Euphrates were formed.
(d) It explains why water is so revered in the Mesopotamian culture.
5. What does Gilgamesh use to cross over the deadly water past the mountains and darkness?
(a) A boat made from rocks.
(b) A giant leaf.
(c) He simply swims it without taking a single breath the entire time.
(d) Three hundred wooden poles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facet of mankind annoys Ellil to the point where he nearly casts a plague upon them?
2. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
3. How many figures are contained within this book?
4. In the final tablet of the Epic of Gilgamesh, what does Enkidu offer to retrieve for Gilgamesh?
5. In what modern country can the ancient civilization of these myths be found?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)