|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Epic of Gilgamesh - Standard version and Old Babylonian Version.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Enkidu and Gilgamesh's brutal battle?
(a) They become enemies.
(b) Enkidu falls and becomes Gilgamesh's servant.
(c) Gilgamesh is felled by Enkidu and pledges his servitude to him.
(d) They become friends.
2. What reason is given for parts of these myths being missing?
(a) The pottery had been shattered.
(b) The tablets were partially destroyed.
(c) The tapestries had been partially burned.
(d) Some of the paintings were missing.
3. In terms of population control, what do the gods agree to do with women?
(a) Women will only be able to have sex once a month.
(b) Not all women will be able to or allowed to give birth.
(c) Women will have to ask permission of the holy men to become pregnant.
(d) Women will have to pray to the gods to get pregnant.
4. What happens to the plant Gilgamesh took from the Apsu?
(a) It is stolen by Ishtar.
(b) It is lost in a storm.
(c) It is stolen by a snake.
(d) It is eaten by Gilgamesh in a trick from Ishtar.
5. What does Gilgamesh use to cross over the deadly water past the mountains and darkness?
(a) A giant leaf.
(b) A boat made from rocks.
(c) Three hundred wooden poles.
(d) He simply swims it without taking a single breath the entire time.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gilgamesh passes through the mountains, what creatures does Gilgamesh mistakenly kill?
2. How long does Enki believe the flood will last?
3. Why is the author not entirely certain that Atrahasis sent an offering of peace to the gods to stop the flooding?
4. From which civilization do these myths originate?
5. What reason is given for the myths of this book being the basis of stories for other cultures?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)