|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
2. The society Aeneas founded would one day flourish into ___________.
3. Pelops' sons Atreus and Thyestes quarreled over Thyestes' affair with whom?
4. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
5. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
2. What are the Danaids known for doing? Why might they have done this?
3. What are the purposes of myths, based on these stories?
4. How did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a special hero? What does this say about the Greek's view of the afterlife?
5. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
6. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
7. What are two important lessons taught in the Odyssey?
8. How is Odysseus set apart from other heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at this time?
9. How is Aeneas' story unique?
10. Compare one of these stories to a fairly tale or tall tale with which you are familiar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murder frequently takes place in Greek mythology.
Part 1) Describe two stories in which a murder or murders take place. Why do these murders take place? How do these murders affect the other characters in the story? How might the murders affect those who hear this story?
Part 2) Is murder a popular theme of American folk tales? Why or why not? What does this reveal about the Greeks? What does this reveal about Americans? How does this theme of murder add to the drama and tragedy of Greek mythology?
Part 3) What do you believe is the most popular of themes in American tales? Use at least two stories to support this belief. Why is this a popular theme? What does this reveal about Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Dionysus and Demeter had two of the most important cults.
Part 1) Describe each of these gods and their roles in Greek mythology. How did they help man explain the ways in which the world works? How did this make these two gods so important?
Part 2) Why did these gods suffer more in their mythology than other gods? What does this reveal about the Greeks and their beliefs about man and the gods? How is this suffering both good and bad?
Part 3) Do the world's major religions today have gods that suffer? If so, explain this suffering. If not, why not? What does this suffering, or lack thereof, reveal about these religious believers?
Essay Topic 3
Greeks had a low opinion of women.
Part 1) Support the statement "Greeks had a low opinion of women" with information from this book. Why might the Greeks have had such a low opinion of women? How might this have affected the lives of women in ancient Greece?
Part 2) How do other world religions today view women? How does this view of women compare to that of the Greeks? What might be the reasons for any similarities and/or differences in this view of women?
Part 3) Has the view of women changed greatly over the centuries? If so, how? If not, why not? What can be done to continue to encourage equality between the sexes?
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)