|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
2. What happened to Antigone when she ignored Creon's edict and buried her brother?
3. What did Jocasta and Oedipus do when they realized they were mother and son?
4. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
5. Creüsa was raped by what god?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the lessons learned from these stories relevant today?
2. Why might Zeus have struck Aesculapius dead?
3. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
4. How is Odysseus set apart from other heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at this time?
5. How is this bad luck tied to the future of the city of Thebes?
6. How is Aeneas' story unique?
7. Why is the Odyssey considered an epic poem? Why was it so important to the Greeks?
8. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
9. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
10. What are the Danaids known for doing? Why might they have done this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several pre-Trojan War heroes that are of great significance.
Part 1) Who are these heroes? Describe each of these heroes and summarize his stories. How did each of them become a hero? What commonalities existed between these heroes?
Part 2) What do these heroes reveal about pre-Trojan War Greece? Based on these stories, what can be learned about how these Greeks felt about heroes, the gods, and their own lives? Do these myths seem realistic? Do you think that the Greeks believed these adventures had actually occurred? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe the Trojan War heroes. How were they different from the pre-Trojan War heroes? Why? What were heroes like in early America? What made someone a hero at that point in our history? Are the qualities the same today as then? Why or why not? Might the definition of a hero change over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Trojan War lasted for many years.
Part 1) What was the cause of the Trojan War? What took place during the Trojan War? How were the Greeks and the Trojans affected by this war? How did the requirements of a hero also change because of this war?
Part 2) What ended the Trojan War? How were both the Greeks and Trojans affected by this event? What does this event say about the Greeks? What does it also say about the Trojans?
Part 3) Describe a war that has taken place since the United States has been a country. Why did it begin? What took place during this war? How long did it last? Why? How did it end? How did this war affect those involved? How are the effects of this war still seen today?
Essay Topic 3
Dionysus and Demeter had two of the most important cults.
Part 1) Describe each of these gods and their roles in Greek mythology. How did they help man explain the ways in which the world works? How did this make these two gods so important?
Part 2) Why did these gods suffer more in their mythology than other gods? What does this reveal about the Greeks and their beliefs about man and the gods? How is this suffering both good and bad?
Part 3) Do the world's major religions today have gods that suffer? If so, explain this suffering. If not, why not? What does this suffering, or lack thereof, reveal about these religious believers?
This section contains 1,829 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)