|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
2. Who were Atreus' children?
3. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
4. Aeneas obeyed immediately, and the heartbroken Queen ______________.
5. With whom did Agamemnon's wife have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aeneas tied to the great Roman Republic?
2. How did the bad luck of the House of Atreus begin? Why did it continue?
3. How did the bad luck of the later generations reflect the bad luck of the earlier generations? What does this say about the tie between one generation and another?
4. What is the moral message of this family's stories?
5. How is Odysseus set apart from other heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at this time?
6. How is Aeneas' story unique?
7. How is Midas rewarded by Bacchus? Is this what many people would choose? Why or why not?
8. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
9. How did Odysseus' adventures make him a hero?
10. Why is the Odyssey considered an epic poem? Why was it so important to the Greeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several myths about the royal House of Athens.
Part 1) Summarize these stories. What do these stories say about this house? How are these stories similar to those of the House of Atreus and the House of Thebes? What does this reinforce about the gods and their relationships with humans?
Part 2) How are these myths both good and bad? How is this house different from the Houses of Atreus and Thebes? Might these differences be seen today? How might this still affect Athenians today? Explain.
Part 3) What is another city or country in the world today that believes it is special because of its religious connections? How does this affect how its citizens act towards others? Do you see this religious pride as something that is good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Greeks had a low opinion of women.
Part 1) Support the statement "Greeks had a low opinion of women" with information from this book. Why might the Greeks have had such a low opinion of women? How might this have affected the lives of women in ancient Greece?
Part 2) How do other world religions today view women? How does this view of women compare to that of the Greeks? What might be the reasons for any similarities and/or differences in this view of women?
Part 3) Has the view of women changed greatly over the centuries? If so, how? If not, why not? What can be done to continue to encourage equality between the sexes?
Essay Topic 3
Dionysus and Demeter had two of the most important cults.
Part 1) Describe each of these gods and their roles in Greek mythology. How did they help man explain the ways in which the world works? How did this make these two gods so important?
Part 2) Why did these gods suffer more in their mythology than other gods? What does this reveal about the Greeks and their beliefs about man and the gods? How is this suffering both good and bad?
Part 3) Do the world's major religions today have gods that suffer? If so, explain this suffering. If not, why not? What does this suffering, or lack thereof, reveal about these religious believers?
This section contains 1,710 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)