|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
2. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
3. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
4. These two sisters had __________ nieces.
5. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the lessons learned from these stories relevant today?
2. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
3. Of these two families, which deserved their bad luck the least? Why?
4. What are two important lessons taught in the Odyssey?
5. How are some of the stars explained in this section?
6. What are the purposes of myths, based on these stories?
7. Why might someone want a cornucopia?
8. How did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a special hero? What does this say about the Greek's view of the afterlife?
9. How is Odysseus set apart from other heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at this time?
10. Compare one of these stories to a fairly tale or tall tale with which you are familiar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Trojan War lasted for many years.
Part 1) What was the cause of the Trojan War? What took place during the Trojan War? How were the Greeks and the Trojans affected by this war? How did the requirements of a hero also change because of this war?
Part 2) What ended the Trojan War? How were both the Greeks and Trojans affected by this event? What does this event say about the Greeks? What does it also say about the Trojans?
Part 3) Describe a war that has taken place since the United States has been a country. Why did it begin? What took place during this war? How long did it last? Why? How did it end? How did this war affect those involved? How are the effects of this war still seen today?
Essay Topic 2
King Midas was rewarded by Bacchus.
Part 1) Describe the story of King Midas. Why was he rewarded? How did this reward affect him? What does this reveal about King Midas? What can be learned from this story?
Part 2) How does Midas' story compare to other myths? What theme or themes can be found in this story? How is each theme also popular in other Greek myths? How might each theme also be important to the ancient Greeks? Are these themes important today? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is a tale or myth that is told today in the U.S.? Describe this tale. What are the themes found in this tale? What is the moral of this tale? How does this tale compare to Greek mythology? What does this tale reveal about modern Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Mythology has been an important part of human cultures around the world.
Part 1) Support this statement with information from this text, as well as information you have learned from other sources. Why is mythology so important to humans? What does it provide mankind?
Part 2) Why have certain mythologies, such as Greek mythology, been so important for other cultures besides their own? How has Greek mythology and Greek culture influenced other areas of the world? How are the cultures of others seen in the way people live in the United States, and even in the way our country operates?
Part 3) Does modern mythology exist? If so, what is it? If not, why not? What information and beliefs from today will be passed on to future generations? How might our beliefs and ideas influence those living in the future? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)