|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
2. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
3. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
4. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
5. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
2. Why might someone want a cornucopia?
3. How did Odysseus' adventures make him a hero?
4. Why is the Odyssey considered an epic poem? Why was it so important to the Greeks?
5. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
6. How are Odin and Zeus similar? How might they be different?
7. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
8. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
9. Use two stories from this section to prove that much of Norse mythology is depressing.
10. Should Greek mythology be understood as a bible of sorts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
King Midas was rewarded by Bacchus.
Part 1) Describe the story of King Midas. Why was he rewarded? How did this reward affect him? What does this reveal about King Midas? What can be learned from this story?
Part 2) How does Midas' story compare to other myths? What theme or themes can be found in this story? How is each theme also popular in other Greek myths? How might each theme also be important to the ancient Greeks? Are these themes important today? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is a tale or myth that is told today in the U.S.? Describe this tale. What are the themes found in this tale? What is the moral of this tale? How does this tale compare to Greek mythology? What does this tale reveal about modern Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Greeks had a low opinion of women.
Part 1) Support the statement "Greeks had a low opinion of women" with information from this book. Why might the Greeks have had such a low opinion of women? How might this have affected the lives of women in ancient Greece?
Part 2) How do other world religions today view women? How does this view of women compare to that of the Greeks? What might be the reasons for any similarities and/or differences in this view of women?
Part 3) Has the view of women changed greatly over the centuries? If so, how? If not, why not? What can be done to continue to encourage equality between the sexes?
Essay Topic 3
The Trojan War lasted for many years.
Part 1) What was the cause of the Trojan War? What took place during the Trojan War? How were the Greeks and the Trojans affected by this war? How did the requirements of a hero also change because of this war?
Part 2) What ended the Trojan War? How were both the Greeks and Trojans affected by this event? What does this event say about the Greeks? What does it also say about the Trojans?
Part 3) Describe a war that has taken place since the United States has been a country. Why did it begin? What took place during this war? How long did it last? Why? How did it end? How did this war affect those involved? How are the effects of this war still seen today?
This section contains 3,566 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)