|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
2. What happened when King Minos locked this inventor up in his own labyrinth?
3. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
4. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
5. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
2. Should Greek mythology be understood as a bible of sorts? Why or why not?
3. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
4. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
5. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
6. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
7. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
8. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
9. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
10. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greek mythology serves several purposes.
Part 1) What are the various purposes of Greek mythology? Give an example of a myth that fits each of these purposes and explain how it serves this purpose. How do the reasons for the existence of Greek mythology compare to the reasons for other folk tales and myths from other parts of the world?
Part 2) Give an example of an American folk tale. How is this similar to Greek mythology? What is the purpose of this tale? What does it reveal about Americans? Is this tale still relevant for Americans today? Why or why not?
Part 3) Are myths and folk tales as important today as they were in the past? Why or why not? What does this reveal about many cultures around the world today, including their belief systems and understanding of the world?
Essay Topic 2
The Trojan War lasted for many years.
Part 1) What was the cause of the Trojan War? What took place during the Trojan War? How were the Greeks and the Trojans affected by this war? How did the requirements of a hero also change because of this war?
Part 2) What ended the Trojan War? How were both the Greeks and Trojans affected by this event? What does this event say about the Greeks? What does it also say about the Trojans?
Part 3) Describe a war that has taken place since the United States has been a country. Why did it begin? What took place during this war? How long did it last? Why? How did it end? How did this war affect those involved? How are the effects of this war still seen today?
Essay Topic 3
According to the Greeks, in the beginning their was only chaos.
Part 1) Describe the main stories of creation and the birth of man, according to Greek mythology. How do these stories compare to each other? What might be the reasons for differences between these stories?
Part 2) How do these stories compare to the creation stories found in world religions today? What might be the reason for any similarities? Are you surprised by these similarities? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are your beliefs regarding the creation of the universe and the birth of man? From where do your beliefs come? How has your culture influenced your beliefs regarding creation? How important is one's culture to one's beliefs? Explain.
This section contains 1,839 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)