|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
2. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
3. ________________ was the goddess of marriage and women.
4. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one of the love stories in this section. Summarize this story. How does it reflect someone's jealousy?
2. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
3. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
4. Why was Perseus famous? Does this make him a hero? Why or why not?
5. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
6. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
7. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
8. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
9. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
10. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murder frequently takes place in Greek mythology.
Part 1) Describe two stories in which a murder or murders take place. Why do these murders take place? How do these murders affect the other characters in the story? How might the murders affect those who hear this story?
Part 2) Is murder a popular theme of American folk tales? Why or why not? What does this reveal about the Greeks? What does this reveal about Americans? How does this theme of murder add to the drama and tragedy of Greek mythology?
Part 3) What do you believe is the most popular of themes in American tales? Use at least two stories to support this belief. Why is this a popular theme? What does this reveal about Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Greek mythology serves several purposes.
Part 1) What are the various purposes of Greek mythology? Give an example of a myth that fits each of these purposes and explain how it serves this purpose. How do the reasons for the existence of Greek mythology compare to the reasons for other folk tales and myths from other parts of the world?
Part 2) Give an example of an American folk tale. How is this similar to Greek mythology? What is the purpose of this tale? What does it reveal about Americans? Is this tale still relevant for Americans today? Why or why not?
Part 3) Are myths and folk tales as important today as they were in the past? Why or why not? What does this reveal about many cultures around the world today, including their belief systems and understanding of the world?
Essay Topic 3
There are several myths about the royal House of Athens.
Part 1) Summarize these stories. What do these stories say about this house? How are these stories similar to those of the House of Atreus and the House of Thebes? What does this reinforce about the gods and their relationships with humans?
Part 2) How are these myths both good and bad? How is this house different from the Houses of Atreus and Thebes? Might these differences be seen today? How might this still affect Athenians today? Explain.
Part 3) What is another city or country in the world today that believes it is special because of its religious connections? How does this affect how its citizens act towards others? Do you see this religious pride as something that is good or bad? Why?
This section contains 1,710 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)