|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
2. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
3. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
4. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
5. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
2. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
3. How were Homeric heroes different from earlier Greek heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at the time?
4. How did Hercules purify himself? Do you see this as being necessary? Why or why not?
5. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
6. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
7. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
8. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
9. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
10. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that Greek mythology should not be seen as a Bible of religious belief.
Part 1) What is meant by this statement? How should Greek mythology be viewed? Why should it not be understood as a Bible of religious belief? How might this affect one's belief in the Greek gods? How does this affect the power of these gods?
Part 2) How did this give freedom to various Greek writers and thinkers throughout history? How did these writers and thinkers influence Greek mythology? Why did they influence it in this way?
Part 3) Would a religion such as what is known as Greek mythology flourish today? Why or why not? What is necessary for a religion to be successful today? How does this reflect mankind today? What does it also reveal about the ancient Greeks?
Essay Topic 2
The Greek gods were based on the perfect man.
Part 1) What did the Greeks consider a perfect man? Why might they have thought this? How did the gods reflect this attitude regarding man? How did this, in turn affect man?
Part 2) Choose two Greek gods or goddesses. What human qualities do they have? How do these gods or goddesses affect humans? How might one relate to these gods or goddesses?
Part 3) What are two world religions of today? Describe their god or gods. How do these gods compare to the Greek gods? What might this reveal about the people who worship this god or these gods today?
Essay Topic 3
Greeks had a low opinion of women.
Part 1) Support the statement "Greeks had a low opinion of women" with information from this book. Why might the Greeks have had such a low opinion of women? How might this have affected the lives of women in ancient Greece?
Part 2) How do other world religions today view women? How does this view of women compare to that of the Greeks? What might be the reasons for any similarities and/or differences in this view of women?
Part 3) Has the view of women changed greatly over the centuries? If so, how? If not, why not? What can be done to continue to encourage equality between the sexes?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)