|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
2. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
3. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
4. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
5. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
2. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
3. Describe the appearance and behavior of the Greek gods. What does this reflect, regarding the attitude towards mankind?
4. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
5. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
6. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
7. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
8. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
9. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
10. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several myths about the royal House of Athens.
Part 1) Summarize these stories. What do these stories say about this house? How are these stories similar to those of the House of Atreus and the House of Thebes? What does this reinforce about the gods and their relationships with humans?
Part 2) How are these myths both good and bad? How is this house different from the Houses of Atreus and Thebes? Might these differences be seen today? How might this still affect Athenians today? Explain.
Part 3) What is another city or country in the world today that believes it is special because of its religious connections? How does this affect how its citizens act towards others? Do you see this religious pride as something that is good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The author states that Greek mythology should not be seen as a Bible of religious belief.
Part 1) What is meant by this statement? How should Greek mythology be viewed? Why should it not be understood as a Bible of religious belief? How might this affect one's belief in the Greek gods? How does this affect the power of these gods?
Part 2) How did this give freedom to various Greek writers and thinkers throughout history? How did these writers and thinkers influence Greek mythology? Why did they influence it in this way?
Part 3) Would a religion such as what is known as Greek mythology flourish today? Why or why not? What is necessary for a religion to be successful today? How does this reflect mankind today? What does it also reveal about the ancient Greeks?
Essay Topic 3
Dionysus and Demeter had two of the most important cults.
Part 1) Describe each of these gods and their roles in Greek mythology. How did they help man explain the ways in which the world works? How did this make these two gods so important?
Part 2) Why did these gods suffer more in their mythology than other gods? What does this reveal about the Greeks and their beliefs about man and the gods? How is this suffering both good and bad?
Part 3) Do the world's major religions today have gods that suffer? If so, explain this suffering. If not, why not? What does this suffering, or lack thereof, reveal about these religious believers?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)