|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Odysseus alone survived and washed up on the shore of the island of ______________, where a sea-nymph who kept him captive for years.
2. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
3. These two sisters had __________ nieces.
4. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
5. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Atreus' children?
2. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
3. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
4. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
5. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aeneas tied to the great Roman Republic?
2. Of these two families, which deserved their bad luck the least? Why?
3. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
4. Why were there many plays written about this family?
5. How is this bad luck tied to the future of the city of Thebes?
6. How did the bad luck of the House of Atreus begin? Why did it continue?
7. How is Midas rewarded by Bacchus? Is this what many people would choose? Why or why not?
8. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
9. What are the purpose of many of these stories?
10. How are the lessons learned from these stories relevant today?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)