|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The two sisters escaped, but Tereus pursued them. The gods turned them all into what?
2. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly alligator.
(b) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(c) An ugly bear.
(d) An ugly praying mantis.
3. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
(a) His own daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His niece.
4. Arachne claimed she could __________ better than the goddess Minerva.
(b) Play the lute.
5. Amymone was pursued by a ________ but saved by Poseidon.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
2. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
3. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
4. Who were Atreus' children?
5. Odysseus alone survived and washed up on the shore of the island of ______________, where a sea-nymph who kept him captive for years.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
2. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
3. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
4. How did the bad luck of the later generations reflect the bad luck of the earlier generations? What does this say about the tie between one generation and another?
5. How did the bad luck of the House of Atreus begin? Why did it continue?
6. What is the moral message of this family's stories?
7. How is Aeneas' story unique?
8. Why were there many plays written about this family?
9. What story explains the creation of spiders? How does this explain the creation of spiders?
10. What are the purposes of myths, based on these stories?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)