|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
2. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He was unhappy at home.
(b) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
(c) He wanted adventure.
(d) He had a falling-out with his parents.
3. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
(a) Fruit and flowers.
4. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
5. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
(a) Proper burial.
(b) Human life.
(c) Respect for one's elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
2. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
3. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
4. Amymone was pursued by a ________ but saved by Poseidon.
5. Why did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a very special hero?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Midas rewarded by Bacchus? Is this what many people would choose? Why or why not?
2. Summarize two stories found in this section. How do they explain the qualities of a hero?
3. What are the purpose of many of these stories?
4. How did the bad luck of the later generations reflect the bad luck of the earlier generations? What does this say about the tie between one generation and another?
5. What is the moral message of this family's stories?
6. Why might Zeus have struck Aesculapius dead?
7. How are the lessons learned from these stories relevant today?
8. How did Odysseus' adventures make him a hero?
9. Of these two families, which deserved their bad luck the least? Why?
10. How is Aeneas' story unique?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)