|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Midas asked for whatever he touched to turn to what?
2. Pelops then refused to honor his bribe and killed Myrtilus, who _____________.
(a) Killed the princess before he died.
(b) Called down a curse on his already corrupted family.
(c) Poisoned Pelops.
(d) Killed Pelops' children.
3. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She wept yellow petals.
(b) She died.
(c) She turned to face the sun.
(d) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
4. Odysseus' journey home to Ithaca took him ______ years, and he faced many fierce monsters and dangerous people along the way.
5. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A Greek.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A stranger.
(d) A neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do these myths show?
2. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
3. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
4. Who composed the Odyssey?
5. These two sisters had __________ nieces.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this bad luck tied to the future of the city of Thebes?
2. How did Odysseus' adventures make him a hero?
3. What are the purposes of myths, based on these stories?
4. How are the lessons learned from these stories relevant today?
5. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
6. How is Aeneas' story unique?
7. What are the Danaids known for doing? Why might they have done this?
8. What story explains the creation of spiders? How does this explain the creation of spiders?
9. How did the bad luck of the House of Atreus begin? Why did it continue?
10. How are some of the stars explained in this section?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)