|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
2. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She loved trees.
(b) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
(c) She carved her name into a tree.
(d) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
3. Agamemnon's son Orestes was instructed by Apollo's oracle to slay the murderer of his father. This meant killing whom?
(a) His own mother.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His brother.
(d) His sister.
4. What did Jocasta and Oedipus do when they realized they were mother and son?
(a) Jocasta killed Oedipus and then killed herself.
(b) They both blinded themselves.
(c) Jocasta killed herself, and Oedipus blinded himself before going into exile.
(d) Oedipus killed Jocasta and then killed himself.
5. Arachne claimed she could __________ better than the goddess Minerva.
(d) Play the lute.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
2. Creüsa was raped by what god?
3. Glaucus went to the witch Circe to ask for a love potion. How did Circe feel about the situation?
4. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
5. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Midas rewarded by Bacchus? Is this what many people would choose? Why or why not?
2. How did the bad luck of the later generations reflect the bad luck of the earlier generations? What does this say about the tie between one generation and another?
3. What is the moral message of this family's stories?
4. Compare one of these stories to a fairly tale or tall tale with which you are familiar.
5. Why is the Odyssey considered an epic poem? Why was it so important to the Greeks?
6. How is Aeneas tied to the great Roman Republic?
7. What are four ways in which the House of Thebes was like the House of Atreus?
8. How did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a special hero? What does this say about the Greek's view of the afterlife?
9. How is Aeneas like both Jason and Odysseus?
10. How is Aeneas' story unique?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)