|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
2. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
3. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
4. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his daughter.
(b) Claiming his slave-girl.
(c) Claiming his property.
(d) Claiming his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
2. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
3. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
4. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
5. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
2. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
3. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
4. Should Greek mythology be understood as a bible of sorts? Why or why not?
5. Choose one of the love stories in this section. Summarize this story. How does it reflect someone's jealousy?
6. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
7. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
8. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
9. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
10. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
This section contains 1,550 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)