|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
2. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
3. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
4. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his daughter.
(b) Claiming his slave-girl.
(c) Claiming his property.
(d) Claiming his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
2. Pygmalion fell in love with the statue of a woman that he had created. Venus took pity on his aching heart and turned the statue into a real, living woman. Pygmalion married her and named her ____________.
3. Cupid became Psyche's husband, but she was instructed that she must never _______.
4. What happened when King Minos locked this inventor up in his own labyrinth?
5. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aeneas' story unique?
2. How did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a special hero? What does this say about the Greek's view of the afterlife?
3. What are two important lessons taught in the Odyssey?
4. How is Midas rewarded by Bacchus? Is this what many people would choose? Why or why not?
5. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
6. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
7. Who are two members of this family who did not deserve the bad luck they received? Why?
8. How does the story of Procne, Philomela, and Tereus explain the origins of species?
9. Describe the appearance and behavior of the Greek gods. What does this reflect, regarding the attitude towards mankind?
10. What story explains the creation of spiders? How does this explain the creation of spiders?
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)