|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
2. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
3. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was more wealthy.
(b) She was more powerful.
(c) She was Venus' younger sister.
(d) She was young and beautiful.
4. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
5. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
(b) A mortal woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
2. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
3. Perseus was famous for killing ___________, a Gorgon whose gaze could turn a man to stone.
4. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
5. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
2. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
3. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
4. How were Homeric heroes different from earlier Greek heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at the time?
5. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
6. How were early royal Greek families able to claim lineage with the gods? How might they have benefited from this?
7. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
8. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
9. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
10. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)