|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
2. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
3. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
4. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
(b) A mortal woman.
5. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) The gods did not like to see death.
(b) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(c) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(d) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
2. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
3. Homeric hymns, written from the end of the ______________ century BC to the fifth or even fourth century BC, were written to honor various gods.
4. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
5. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
2. Why was Perseus famous? Does this make him a hero? Why or why not?
3. How were Homeric heroes different from earlier Greek heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at the time?
4. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
5. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
6. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
7. Describe the appearance and behavior of the Greek gods. What does this reflect, regarding the attitude towards mankind?
8. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
9. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
10. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)