|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Juno and Pluto.
(b) Mars and Mercury.
(c) Jupiter and Mercury.
(d) Jupiter and Juno.
2. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A great flood.
(b) A great snow storm.
(c) A swarm of locusts.
(d) A plague.
3. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
4. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
(a) She saved her.
(b) She tortured her.
(c) She hid her.
(d) She killed her.
5. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Poisoned Cronus.
(b) Fed Zeus to her husband.
(c) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
(d) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
2. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
3. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
4. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
5. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two ancient sources that can be used to study Greek mythology? How is each of these sources useful?
2. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
3. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
4. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
5. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
6. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
7. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
8. Should Greek mythology be understood as a bible of sorts? Why or why not?
9. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
10. Choose another one of the love stories. How does this story show the kindness the gods are capable of feeling?
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)