|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
2. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche could easily complete them.
(b) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(c) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(d) Psyche was unable to complete them.
3. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
(a) The white strawberries.
(b) The white apple.
(c) The white poinsettia leaves.
(d) The white mulberry berries.
4. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(b) By tricking Talus.
(c) By calling for her mother.
(d) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
5. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of understanding the world.
(b) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
(c) As a way of connecting to the gods.
(d) As a way of understanding the heavens.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
2. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
3. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
4. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
5. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
2. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
3. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
4. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
5. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
6. What are two ancient sources that can be used to study Greek mythology? How is each of these sources useful?
7. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
8. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
9. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
10. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)