|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
2. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) The leaders' images.
(b) No one's image.
(c) Their own.
(d) The Romans' images.
3. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods are more powerful than man.
(b) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
(c) The gods were not kind to mankind.
(d) The gods had different personalities.
4. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
(a) A nymph.
(c) A mortal woman.
5. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
2. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
3. Homeric hymns, written from the end of the ______________ century BC to the fifth or even fourth century BC, were written to honor various gods.
4. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
5. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
2. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
3. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
4. How were Homeric heroes different from earlier Greek heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at the time?
5. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
6. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
7. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
8. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
9. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
10. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)