|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
(a) A flood.
(b) A chariot accident.
(c) A storm at sea.
(d) A car accident.
2. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
3. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
4. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his property.
(b) Claiming his daughter.
(c) Claiming his wife.
(d) Claiming his slave-girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
2. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
3. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
4. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
5. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
Short Essay Questions
1. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
2. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
3. How were Homeric heroes different from earlier Greek heroes? What does this say about the Greeks at the time?
4. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
5. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
6. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
7. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
8. Choose another one of the love stories. How does this story show the kindness the gods are capable of feeling?
9. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
10. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)