|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
2. Cupid became Psyche's husband, but she was instructed that she must never _______.
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Look upon him.
(c) Speak his name.
(d) Touch him.
3. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
4. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was more powerful.
(b) She was young and beautiful.
(c) She was Venus' younger sister.
(d) She was more wealthy.
5. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Tut of Egypt.
(b) King Titan of Colchis.
(c) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(d) King Nguyen of Siam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Greek gods act?
2. To whom was Helen married?
3. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
4. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
5. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose another one of the love stories. How does this story show the kindness the gods are capable of feeling?
2. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
3. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
4. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
5. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
6. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
7. How were early royal Greek families able to claim lineage with the gods? How might they have benefited from this?
8. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
9. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
10. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)