|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hesiod's _______________ is another main source, which asked questions about the origins of things.
2. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(c) Psyche could easily complete them.
(d) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
3. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) The gods did not like to see death.
(b) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(c) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
(d) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
4. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Perseus of Sparta.
(b) King Menelaus of Sparta.
(c) King Midas of Athens.
(d) King Theseus of Athens.
5. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
(a) One of the most.
(b) The most.
(c) At times one of the most.
(d) Not one of the most.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the fatal flaw of most Greek heroes?
2. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
3. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
4. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
5. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
2. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
3. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
4. Choose another one of the love stories. How does this story show the kindness the gods are capable of feeling?
5. Describe the appearance and behavior of the Greek gods. What does this reflect, regarding the attitude towards mankind?
6. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
7. Who won the Trojan War? How did they win? What do their successful tactics say about them?
8. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
9. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
10. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)