|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atalanta was raised by ____________ and became a great huntress.
(a) A she-bear.
(b) A she-wolf.
(c) A she-tiger.
(d) A she-fox.
2. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) Their parents.
(b) The gods.
(c) Their neighbors.
(d) Their religious leaders.
3. When a mortal committed a crime, broke an oath, or harmed a guest, they were seen to be ___________.
(d) Displeasing and dishonoring the gods.
4. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
(a) A mulberry tree.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A spruce tree.
(d) A pine tree.
5. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because of their wisdom.
(b) Because they were very convincing.
(c) Because they were loving.
(d) Because of their power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
2. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
3. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
4. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
5. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
2. Describe one of the Greek creation stories. How does this story compare to your own idea regarding the creation of the world?
3. How did Zeus become the king of the gods?
4. What are two ancient sources that can be used to study Greek mythology? How is each of these sources useful?
5. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
6. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
7. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
8. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
9. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
10. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)