|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) No one's image.
(b) The Romans' images.
(c) The leaders' images.
(d) Their own.
2. The myths conveyed developing religious ideas concerning ____________.
(a) The Bible.
(b) Birth and death.
(c) God and heaven.
(d) Morality and justice.
3. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Other men, alone.
(b) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(c) Other men as part of an army.
(d) Other men in small militias.
4. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
5. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
2. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
3. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
4. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
5. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
2. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
3. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
4. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
5. How was Theseus honored by the Athenians? Why was he honored in this way?
6. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
7. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
8. Describe Greek heroes. What was the most common flaw? Is this a common flaw in humanity? Why or why not?
9. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
10. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)