|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The soul.
(b) The mind.
(c) The heart.
(d) The body.
2. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche could easily complete them.
(c) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(d) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
3. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) The gods.
(b) Their neighbors.
(c) Their parents.
(d) Their religious leaders.
4. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) He was framed for the killing of his family.
(b) He was evil.
(c) He was tortured into killing them.
(d) Hera had put him under a spell.
5. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Helen married?
2. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
3. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
4. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
5. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
2. Choose two of the Greek gods or goddesses. Describe the personalities and roles of these gods or goddesses.
3. Overall, what were the initial roles of the Greek and Roman gods? How might this have been beneficial for mankind?
4. How did Hercules purify himself? Do you see this as being necessary? Why or why not?
5. How did Medea help Jason? Why did she help him? Should she have helped him? Why or why not?
6. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
7. Choose another one of the love stories. How does this story show the kindness the gods are capable of feeling?
8. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
9. How does the story of the Trojan War support the fact that many heroes have the same fatal flaw?
10. Choose another love story from this section. How does this story show control or the lack of control?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)