|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(c) Bion of Smyrna
2. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
3. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(b) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(c) By calling for her mother.
(d) By tricking Talus.
4. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
5. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) He was evil.
(b) Hera had put him under a spell.
(c) He was framed for the killing of his family.
(d) He was tortured into killing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
2. Endymion was a shepherd who was loved by the Moon goddess __________.
3. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
4. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
5. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were women seen as lesser beings? How does Greek mythology support this belief regarding women?
2. What are two ancient sources that can be used to study Greek mythology? How is each of these sources useful?
3. Why were the Greek gods worshiped? How does this reason compare to the reasons one might worship a god today?
4. What lesson can be learned about the power of the gods from these stories? Is this lesson still relevant today? Why or why not?
5. What do all of these stories reveal about the gods?
6. What is the lesson that is to be learned in the story of Phaeton? How is this an important lesson?
7. What led to the Trojan War? Was this war necessary? Why or why not?
8. Why did Greek mythology come to exist? What was its purpose?
9. Describe Demeter and Dionysus. How were Demeter and Dionysus unique?
10. What ended when Atalanta was married? What does this reinforce in Greek culture?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)