|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were Atreus' children?
(a) Mimnermus and Antimachus.
(b) Moppian and Aratus.
(c) Moschus and Apollodorus.
(d) Menelaus and Agamemnon.
2. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
3. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
(a) A jousting match.
(b) A chariot race.
(c) A foot race.
(d) Game of chess.
4. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
5. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
6. Creüsa was raped by what god?
7. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
8. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
9. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) A lot less deserved.
(b) Much worse.
(c) Much more deserved.
(d) Not as bad.
10. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
11. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Confuse them.
(b) Poison them.
(c) Test or mock them.
(d) Disgust them.
12. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
13. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
14. With whom did Agamemnon's wife have an affair?
(a) Her neighbor Aegisthus.
(b) Her brother-in-law Aegisthus.
(c) His cousin Aegisthus.
(d) Her cousin Aegisthus.
15. Agamemnon's son Orestes was instructed by Apollo's oracle to slay the murderer of his father. This meant killing whom?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His own mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. The society Aeneas founded would one day flourish into ___________.
2. On Circe's island the men were turned into what?
3. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
4. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
5. Arachne claimed she could __________ better than the goddess Minerva.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)