|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
2. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(c) Very few.
3. It was a moral tale that taught proper behavior toward whom?
(a) One's family.
(b) The gods.
(d) One's neighbors and the gods.
4. The teeth turned into ______, who fought until five remained?
(b) Little dragons.
(c) Armed warriors.
5. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
6. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
(b) She loved trees.
(c) She carved her name into a tree.
(d) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
7. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) His own children.
(b) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(c) Hera's children.
(d) Thyestes' children.
8. After escaping from Troy, Aeneas traveled with whom to find a new home?
(a) His men.
(b) His father and son.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) His son, father, and a group of other survivors.
9. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
(a) Proper burial.
(b) Human life.
(d) Respect for one's elders.
10. Where were the murdering women punished?
(a) In the town square.
(b) In Tartarus.
(c) In prison.
(d) On Mt. Olympus.
11. Creüsa was raped by what god?
12. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
13. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He wanted adventure.
(b) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(c) He was unhappy at home.
(d) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
14. Proper _____________ was also considered very important in order to appease the spirits of the dead.
(c) Memorial services.
15. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
(a) Fruit and flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
2. This chapter describes a series of myths concerning the earliest kings and queens of Athens before who became king?
3. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
4. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
5. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)