|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
2. Glaucus went to the witch Circe to ask for a love potion. How did Circe feel about the situation?
(a) Annoyed that Glaucus would waste her time on a love potion.
(b) Furious that Glaucus loved Scylla and not her.
(c) Happy that Glaucus asked her for help.
(d) Worried that Glaucus would never be loved by the nymph.
3. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
4. Amymone was pursued by a ________ but saved by Poseidon.
5. When Odysseus blinded the Cyclops, he angered whom?
(a) The monster's brother, Poseidon.
(b) The monster's cousin, Poseidon.
(c) The monster's father, Poseidon.
(d) The monster's uncle, Poseidon.
6. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
(a) Great Bear.
(b) The Owl.
(c) The Butterfly.
(d) The Wild Duck.
7. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
8. Where were the murdering women punished?
(a) On Mt. Olympus.
(b) In prison.
(c) In the town square.
(d) In Tartarus.
9. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) Much worse.
(b) Much more deserved.
(c) Not as bad.
(d) A lot less deserved.
10. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
(a) The Lynx.
(b) The Sphinx.
(c) The Gargoyle.
(d) The Succubus.
11. After escaping from Troy, Aeneas traveled with whom to find a new home?
(a) His men.
(b) His son, father, and a group of other survivors.
(c) His father and son.
(d) His wife and children.
12. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(b) He kept it and raised it as his own.
(c) He killed it himself.
(d) He left it as he was told.
13. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Disgust them.
(b) Test or mock them.
(c) Confuse them.
(d) Poison them.
14. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
15. Pelops' sons Atreus and Thyestes quarreled over Thyestes' affair with whom?
(b) Princess Hippodamia.
(c) Atreus' wife.
(d) Their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
2. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
3. Procris was happily married to Cephalus, until one day Aurora, the goddess of the dawn, ____________.
4. ________________ was the son of Apollo and a mortal woman whom Apollo killed for being unfaithful.
5. __________ was a beautiful nymph who was loved by a sea god called Glaucus.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)