|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly praying mantis.
(b) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(c) An ugly bear.
(d) An ugly alligator.
2. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
(a) A foot race.
(b) A chariot race.
(c) A jousting match.
(d) Game of chess.
3. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
4. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His niece.
(c) His wife.
(d) His own daughter.
5. On Circe's island the men were turned into what?
6. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
(b) She turned to face the sun.
(c) She died.
(d) She wept yellow petals.
7. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
8. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
9. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
10. Creüsa was raped by what god?
11. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
12. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
13. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
14. __________ was a beautiful nymph who was loved by a sea god called Glaucus.
15. Odysseus' journey home to Ithaca took him ______ years, and he faced many fierce monsters and dangerous people along the way.
Short Answer Questions
1. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
2. Who composed the Odyssey?
3. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
4. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
5. These two sisters had __________ nieces.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)