|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chiron was a wise and noble ______________ who looked after and trained heroes.
2. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(b) She hanged herself.
(c) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
(d) She went into exile.
3. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
4. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(b) He left it as he was told.
(c) He killed it himself.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
5. Odysseus rescued the men before visiting the dead prophet ________________ in the underworld.
6. Odysseus' journey home to Ithaca took him ______ years, and he faced many fierce monsters and dangerous people along the way.
7. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
(a) The god of the East Wind, Boreas.
(b) The god of the West Wind, Boreas.
(c) The god of the North Wind, Boreas.
(d) The god of the South Wind, Boreas.
8. It was a moral tale that taught proper behavior toward whom?
(a) The gods.
(b) One's neighbors and the gods.
(d) One's family.
9. On Circe's island the men were turned into what?
10. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of love.
(b) A god of peace.
(c) A god of forgiveness.
(d) A god of healing.
11. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
12. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A Greek.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A stranger.
13. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
14. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
15. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Procne became a ______________ that sang mournfully for her dead son whom she now regretted killing.
2. ________________ was the son of Apollo and a mortal woman whom Apollo killed for being unfaithful.
3. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
4. Queen Amata, the king's wife, was not happy with this and neither was Turnus, the Rutulian king. Why was Turnus not happy about this?
5. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)