|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
2. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
(c) Fruit and flowers.
3. The _____________ were fifty women who killed their husbands on the wedding night, with the exception of Hypermnestra, who woke her husband and helped him escape.
4. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
5. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
6. After escaping from Troy, Aeneas traveled with whom to find a new home?
(a) His son, father, and a group of other survivors.
(b) His wife and children.
(c) His men.
(d) His father and son.
7. The society Aeneas founded would one day flourish into ___________.
(a) The great city of Athens.
(b) The great Roman Republic.
(c) The great nation of Greece.
(d) The great nation of Italy.
8. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
9. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
(b) Punishment from the gods on the individual performing these terrible acts.
(c) Problems for an entire city or nation.
(d) A form religious pollution.
10. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
11. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
12. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
13. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He left it as he was told.
(b) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(c) He killed it himself.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
14. When Odysseus blinded the Cyclops, he angered whom?
(a) The monster's father, Poseidon.
(b) The monster's uncle, Poseidon.
(c) The monster's cousin, Poseidon.
(d) The monster's brother, Poseidon.
15. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) Much worse.
(b) Much more deserved.
(c) A lot less deserved.
(d) Not as bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
2. What did Jocasta and Oedipus do when they realized they were mother and son?
3. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
4. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
5. Who composed the Odyssey?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)