|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of healing.
(b) A god of peace.
(c) A god of love.
(d) A god of forgiveness.
2. Proper _____________ was also considered very important in order to appease the spirits of the dead.
(d) Memorial services.
3. Procne became a ______________ that sang mournfully for her dead son whom she now regretted killing.
4. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
5. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
6. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly praying mantis.
(b) An ugly alligator.
(c) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(d) An ugly bear.
7. What happened to Antigone when she ignored Creon's edict and buried her brother?
(a) She was run through with a sword.
(b) She was punished by being buried alive, hanging herself in the tomb rather than facing death by starvation.
(c) She was praised for her love for her brother.
(d) She was send to the underworld to suffer.
8. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) Much worse.
(b) A lot less deserved.
(c) Much more deserved.
(d) Not as bad.
9. After encountering some of the same dangers that Odysseus and Jason faced on their adventures, a storm washed Aeneas and his fellow travelers up near Carthage on the north coast of _________.
(c) South America.
(d) North America.
10. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
(b) She went into exile.
(c) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(d) She hanged herself.
11. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
12. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
13. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(b) He was unhappy at home.
(c) He wanted adventure.
(d) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
14. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Confuse them.
(b) Poison them.
(c) Disgust them.
(d) Test or mock them.
15. The two sisters escaped, but Tereus pursued them. The gods turned them all into what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
2. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
3. Odysseus and his men faced man eating monsters and strange magic, losing how many ships on their journey?
4. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
5. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)