|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Antigone when she ignored Creon's edict and buried her brother?
(a) She was praised for her love for her brother.
(b) She was run through with a sword.
(c) She was punished by being buried alive, hanging herself in the tomb rather than facing death by starvation.
(d) She was send to the underworld to suffer.
2. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
(a) Respect for one's elders.
(b) Human life.
(d) Proper burial.
3. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) Thyestes' children.
(b) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(c) His own children.
(d) Hera's children.
4. ________________ was the son of Apollo and a mortal woman whom Apollo killed for being unfaithful.
5. The House of Atreus was one of the unluckiest __________ in Greek mythology.
(c) Group of creatures.
6. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
(a) Civilized, Greek.
(b) Wealthy, Greek.
(c) Intelligent, Greek.
(d) Powerful, Greek.
7. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
8. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
(a) Great Bear.
(b) The Butterfly.
(c) The Owl.
(d) The Wild Duck.
9. Midas asked for whatever he touched to turn to what?
10. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
(d) Fruit and flowers.
11. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
12. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly praying mantis.
(b) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(c) An ugly bear.
(d) An ugly alligator.
13. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
(b) She carved her name into a tree.
(c) She loved trees.
(d) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
14. __________ was a beautiful nymph who was loved by a sea god called Glaucus.
15. Pelops' sons Atreus and Thyestes quarreled over Thyestes' affair with whom?
(a) Atreus' wife.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Princess Hippodamia.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
2. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
3. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
4. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
5. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)