|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(b) He was unhappy at home.
(c) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
(d) He wanted adventure.
2. What did Jocasta and Oedipus do when they realized they were mother and son?
(a) Oedipus killed Jocasta and then killed himself.
(b) Jocasta killed herself, and Oedipus blinded himself before going into exile.
(c) Jocasta killed Oedipus and then killed herself.
(d) They both blinded themselves.
3. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
4. Who were Atreus' children?
(a) Moschus and Apollodorus.
(b) Moppian and Aratus.
(c) Mimnermus and Antimachus.
(d) Menelaus and Agamemnon.
5. This chapter describes a series of myths concerning the earliest kings and queens of Athens before who became king?
6. How did this beautiful nymph feel about Glaucus?
7. Queen Amata, the king's wife, was not happy with this and neither was Turnus, the Rutulian king. Why was Turnus not happy about this?
(a) He wanted Lavinia for himself.
(b) He did not like Greeks.
(c) He was in love with Queen Amata.
(d) He did not like the stranger.
8. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
9. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
(a) Elephant ears.
(b) Asses' ears.
(c) A pig's tail.
(d) A pig's snout.
10. Aurora, goddess of ___________, loved a mortal named Tithonus.
(a) The dawn.
(b) The evening.
(d) The night.
11. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Disgust them.
(b) Poison them.
(c) Confuse them.
(d) Test or mock them.
12. When Odysseus blinded the Cyclops, he angered whom?
(a) The monster's uncle, Poseidon.
(b) The monster's father, Poseidon.
(c) The monster's brother, Poseidon.
(d) The monster's cousin, Poseidon.
13. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
14. Who composed the Odyssey?
(a) The Roman bard Plato.
(b) The Greek bard Plato.
(c) The Roman bard Homer.
(d) The Greek bard Homer.
15. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
Short Answer Questions
1. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
2. These two sisters had __________ nieces.
3. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
4. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
5. The House of Atreus was one of the unluckiest __________ in Greek mythology.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)