|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
(a) A jousting match.
(b) Game of chess.
(c) A foot race.
(d) A chariot race.
2. Procne became a ______________ that sang mournfully for her dead son whom she now regretted killing.
3. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
4. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
(a) A pig's tail.
(b) Asses' ears.
(c) A pig's snout.
(d) Elephant ears.
5. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
6. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Disgust them.
(b) Confuse them.
(c) Poison them.
(d) Test or mock them.
7. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
8. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
9. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He killed it himself.
(b) He left it as he was told.
(c) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
10. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
11. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
12. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(c) Very few.
13. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She hanged herself.
(b) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(c) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
(d) She went into exile.
14. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A stranger.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A Greek.
(d) Her cousin.
15. After killing some of the Sun-god's ______________, all of Odysseus' men were punished by drowning in a storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
2. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
3. Odysseus alone survived and washed up on the shore of the island of ______________, where a sea-nymph who kept him captive for years.
4. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
5. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)