|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
2. The House of Atreus was one of the unluckiest __________ in Greek mythology.
(c) Group of creatures.
3. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
4. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
5. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
6. Midas asked for whatever he touched to turn to what?
7. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She went into exile.
(b) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(c) She hanged herself.
(d) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
8. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He kept it and raised it as his own.
(b) He killed it himself.
(c) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(d) He left it as he was told.
9. Proper _____________ was also considered very important in order to appease the spirits of the dead.
(d) Memorial services.
10. After encountering some of the same dangers that Odysseus and Jason faced on their adventures, a storm washed Aeneas and his fellow travelers up near Carthage on the north coast of _________.
(a) South America.
(d) North America.
11. What did Jocasta and Oedipus do when they realized they were mother and son?
(a) They both blinded themselves.
(b) Oedipus killed Jocasta and then killed himself.
(c) Jocasta killed herself, and Oedipus blinded himself before going into exile.
(d) Jocasta killed Oedipus and then killed herself.
12. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of peace.
(b) A god of love.
(c) A god of forgiveness.
(d) A god of healing.
13. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(b) His own children.
(c) Hera's children.
(d) Thyestes' children.
14. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
(a) The Lynx.
(b) The Gargoyle.
(c) The Succubus.
(d) The Sphinx.
15. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
(b) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(c) He wanted adventure.
(d) He was unhappy at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
2. Glaucus went to the witch Circe to ask for a love potion. How did Circe feel about the situation?
3. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
4. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
5. Aurora, goddess of ___________, loved a mortal named Tithonus.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)