|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
2. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
3. When Odysseus blinded the Cyclops, he angered whom?
(a) The monster's uncle, Poseidon.
(b) The monster's cousin, Poseidon.
(c) The monster's brother, Poseidon.
(d) The monster's father, Poseidon.
4. Queen Amata, the king's wife, was not happy with this and neither was Turnus, the Rutulian king. Why was Turnus not happy about this?
(a) He did not like Greeks.
(b) He wanted Lavinia for himself.
(c) He was in love with Queen Amata.
(d) He did not like the stranger.
5. Procne became a ______________ that sang mournfully for her dead son whom she now regretted killing.
6. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of peace.
(b) A god of healing.
(c) A god of forgiveness.
(d) A god of love.
7. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Disgust them.
(b) Confuse them.
(c) Poison them.
(d) Test or mock them.
8. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(b) He killed it himself.
(c) He left it as he was told.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
9. Odysseus and his men faced man eating monsters and strange magic, losing how many ships on their journey?
(a) All of them.
(b) All but one ship.
(c) All but two ships.
10. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A Greek.
(c) A stranger.
(d) Her cousin.
11. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
(a) The Owl.
(b) The Wild Duck.
(c) Great Bear.
(d) The Butterfly.
12. Chiron was a wise and noble ______________ who looked after and trained heroes.
13. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
(a) A pig's snout.
(b) Elephant ears.
(c) A pig's tail.
(d) Asses' ears.
14. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
15. ________________ was the son of Apollo and a mortal woman whom Apollo killed for being unfaithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was a moral tale that taught proper behavior toward whom?
2. Aeneas obeyed immediately, and the heartbroken Queen ______________.
3. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
4. Pelops' sons Atreus and Thyestes quarreled over Thyestes' affair with whom?
5. What do these myths show?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)