|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
2. The House of Atreus was one of the unluckiest __________ in Greek mythology.
(d) Group of creatures.
3. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A Greek.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A stranger.
4. Why did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a very special hero?
(a) Only a few mortals in the Greek myths went to the underworld and returned.
(b) Mortals were not allowed to visit the underworld; this was a place for only the gods.
(c) Most mortals had no interest in going to the underworld.
(d) Only a few mortals made it to the underworld.
5. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
6. How did this beautiful nymph feel about Glaucus?
7. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
(b) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
(c) She loved trees.
(d) She carved her name into a tree.
8. Odysseus rescued the men before visiting the dead prophet ________________ in the underworld.
9. What happened to Antigone when she ignored Creon's edict and buried her brother?
(a) She was praised for her love for her brother.
(b) She was send to the underworld to suffer.
(c) She was punished by being buried alive, hanging herself in the tomb rather than facing death by starvation.
(d) She was run through with a sword.
10. Callisto was loved by Zeus and hated by Hera. Hera turned her into a _________ and arranged for her son to kill it.
11. Odysseus' journey home to Ithaca took him ______ years, and he faced many fierce monsters and dangerous people along the way.
12. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She hanged herself.
(b) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(c) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
(d) She went into exile.
13. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
(a) The god of the East Wind, Boreas.
(b) The god of the North Wind, Boreas.
(c) The god of the South Wind, Boreas.
(d) The god of the West Wind, Boreas.
14. Pelops then refused to honor his bribe and killed Myrtilus, who _____________.
(a) Killed the princess before he died.
(b) Killed Pelops' children.
(c) Called down a curse on his already corrupted family.
(d) Poisoned Pelops.
15. Odysseus' adventures were told in the _________ poem The Odyssey.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
2. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
3. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
4. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
5. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)