|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
(b) She died.
(c) She wept yellow petals.
(d) She turned to face the sun.
2. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
3. Agamemnon's son Orestes was instructed by Apollo's oracle to slay the murderer of his father. This meant killing whom?
(a) His own mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His sister.
4. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He wanted adventure.
(b) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
(c) He was unhappy at home.
(d) He had a falling-out with his parents.
5. Cadmus founded the city of ___________ by killing a dragon and sowing its teeth.
6. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
7. Creüsa was raped by what god?
8. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
9. This chapter describes a series of myths concerning the earliest kings and queens of Athens before who became king?
10. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of love.
(b) A god of healing.
(c) A god of forgiveness.
(d) A god of peace.
11. The two sisters escaped, but Tereus pursued them. The gods turned them all into what?
12. Amymone was pursued by a ________ but saved by Poseidon.
13. Odysseus alone survived and washed up on the shore of the island of ______________, where a sea-nymph who kept him captive for years.
14. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
15. How did this beautiful nymph feel about Glaucus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
2. After encountering some of the same dangers that Odysseus and Jason faced on their adventures, a storm washed Aeneas and his fellow travelers up near Carthage on the north coast of _________.
3. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
4. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
5. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)