|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
(a) The Gargoyle.
(b) The Succubus.
(c) The Sphinx.
(d) The Lynx.
2. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
3. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
4. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
5. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
6. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
(b) Fruit and flowers.
7. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
8. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
(a) The Wild Duck.
(b) The Owl.
(c) Great Bear.
(d) The Butterfly.
9. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Confuse them.
(b) Poison them.
(c) Disgust them.
(d) Test or mock them.
10. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(b) An ugly praying mantis.
(c) An ugly alligator.
(d) An ugly bear.
11. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
12. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
13. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
(a) A foot race.
(b) A jousting match.
(c) Game of chess.
(d) A chariot race.
14. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
15. The _____________ were fifty women who killed their husbands on the wedding night, with the exception of Hypermnestra, who woke her husband and helped him escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aeneas obeyed immediately, and the heartbroken Queen ______________.
2. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
3. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
4. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
5. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)