|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
2. Who were Atreus' children?
(a) Moppian and Aratus.
(b) Moschus and Apollodorus.
(c) Menelaus and Agamemnon.
(d) Mimnermus and Antimachus.
3. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
(a) Proper burial.
(b) Respect for one's elders.
(d) Human life.
4. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
5. Pelops then refused to honor his bribe and killed Myrtilus, who _____________.
(a) Killed Pelops' children.
(b) Killed the princess before he died.
(c) Poisoned Pelops.
(d) Called down a curse on his already corrupted family.
6. Queen __________ welcomed Aeneas' group.
7. After killing some of the Sun-god's ______________, all of Odysseus' men were punished by drowning in a storm.
8. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) A lot less deserved.
(b) Much more deserved.
(c) Not as bad.
(d) Much worse.
9. Chiron was a wise and noble ______________ who looked after and trained heroes.
10. __________ was a beautiful nymph who was loved by a sea god called Glaucus.
11. What do these myths show?
(a) How loving the gods could sometimes be.
(b) How cruel the gods could sometimes be.
(c) How self-indulgent the gods could sometimes be.
(d) How forgetful the gods could sometimes be.
12. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
13. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He left it as he was told.
(b) He kept it and raised it as his own.
(c) He killed it himself.
(d) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
14. Odysseus rescued the men before visiting the dead prophet ________________ in the underworld.
15. Proper _____________ was also considered very important in order to appease the spirits of the dead.
(d) Memorial services.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
2. The society Aeneas founded would one day flourish into ___________.
3. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
4. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
5. Orithyia's two sons were heroes who accompanied ____________ on his voyage.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)