|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Circe's island the men were turned into what?
2. After encountering some of the same dangers that Odysseus and Jason faced on their adventures, a storm washed Aeneas and his fellow travelers up near Carthage on the north coast of _________.
(b) North America.
(d) South America.
3. Why did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a very special hero?
(a) Only a few mortals made it to the underworld.
(b) Only a few mortals in the Greek myths went to the underworld and returned.
(c) Mortals were not allowed to visit the underworld; this was a place for only the gods.
(d) Most mortals had no interest in going to the underworld.
4. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She wept yellow petals.
(b) She turned to face the sun.
(c) She died.
(d) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
5. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
6. Who composed the Odyssey?
(a) The Greek bard Homer.
(b) The Roman bard Homer.
(c) The Greek bard Plato.
(d) The Roman bard Plato.
7. Later, Midas was given ___________ by Apollo for siding with Pan instead of Apollo in a music contest.
(a) A pig's tail.
(b) Elephant ears.
(c) A pig's snout.
(d) Asses' ears.
8. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
(a) Disgust them.
(b) Poison them.
(c) Test or mock them.
(d) Confuse them.
9. After killing some of the Sun-god's ______________, all of Odysseus' men were punished by drowning in a storm.
10. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
11. The _____________ were fifty women who killed their husbands on the wedding night, with the exception of Hypermnestra, who woke her husband and helped him escape.
12. The House of Atreus was one of the unluckiest __________ in Greek mythology.
(a) Group of creatures.
13. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He was unhappy at home.
(b) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
(c) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(d) He wanted adventure.
14. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) A lot less deserved.
(b) Much more deserved.
(c) Not as bad.
(d) Much worse.
15. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His own daughter.
(d) His niece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Atreus' children?
2. Proper _____________ was also considered very important in order to appease the spirits of the dead.
3. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
4. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
5. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)