|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(b) He wanted adventure.
(c) He was unhappy at home.
(d) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
2. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
3. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
4. Creüsa was raped by what god?
5. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(a) Very few.
6. Who composed the Odyssey?
(a) The Greek bard Plato.
(b) The Roman bard Homer.
(c) The Roman bard Plato.
(d) The Greek bard Homer.
7. The gods were furious and sent him to ______________, a section for punishment in the underworld.
8. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
(a) A form religious pollution.
(b) Problems for an entire city or nation.
(d) Punishment from the gods on the individual performing these terrible acts.
9. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly alligator.
(b) An ugly praying mantis.
(c) An ugly bear.
(d) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
10. Amalthea was a _________ whose milk fed Zeus.
11. The teeth turned into ______, who fought until five remained?
(a) Armed warriors.
(c) Little dragons.
12. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
(b) She carved her name into a tree.
(c) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
(d) She loved trees.
13. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) His own children.
(b) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(c) Thyestes' children.
(d) Hera's children.
14. Pelops married Princess Hippodamia after defeating her father in ____________ to win her hand.
(a) A chariot race.
(b) Game of chess.
(c) A jousting match.
(d) A foot race.
15. ________________ was the son of Apollo and a mortal woman whom Apollo killed for being unfaithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
2. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
3. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
4. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
5. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)