|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did this beautiful nymph feel about Glaucus?
2. Midas was a king rewarded by ______________ with any gift he chose.
3. It was a moral tale that taught proper behavior toward whom?
(a) The gods.
(c) One's family.
(d) One's neighbors and the gods.
4. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
5. With whom did Agamemnon's wife have an affair?
(a) Her cousin Aegisthus.
(b) Her brother-in-law Aegisthus.
(c) His cousin Aegisthus.
(d) Her neighbor Aegisthus.
6. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(b) Very few.
7. Aeneas visited the underworld briefly before sailing to a spot near the River __________ on the Italian coast.
8. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
9. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
(a) Civilized, Greek.
(b) Powerful, Greek.
(c) Wealthy, Greek.
(d) Intelligent, Greek.
10. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(b) He left it as he was told.
(c) He killed it himself.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
11. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
12. Where were the murdering women punished?
(a) In prison.
(b) On Mt. Olympus.
(c) In Tartarus.
(d) In the town square.
13. Who composed the Odyssey?
(a) The Greek bard Homer.
(b) The Roman bard Homer.
(c) The Roman bard Plato.
(d) The Greek bard Plato.
14. Procne was married to Tereus of Thrace, a son of Ares, who fell in love with ______________ and tricked her into a marriage before cutting out her tongue and locking her up.
15. Aurora, goddess of ___________, loved a mortal named Tithonus.
(b) The night.
(c) The dawn.
(d) The evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
2. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
3. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
4. Odysseus and his men faced man eating monsters and strange magic, losing how many ships on their journey?
5. Odysseus alone survived and washed up on the shore of the island of ______________, where a sea-nymph who kept him captive for years.
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)