|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
(a) His niece.
(b) His wife.
(c) His own daughter.
(d) His neighbor.
2. Minerva beat Arachne for her insolence and destroyed her work. What did Arachne do?
(a) She went into exile.
(b) She stabbed herself with her lute.
(c) She hanged herself.
(d) She jumped off the edge of a cliff.
3. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(b) He kept it and raised it as his own.
(c) He left it as he was told.
(d) He killed it himself.
4. Aeneas obeyed immediately, and the heartbroken Queen ______________.
(a) Fell asleep and never woke up.
(b) Poisoned herself.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Committed suicide.
5. Why was Dryope transformed into a tree?
(a) She accidentally harmed a nymph by picking flowers from a tree.
(b) She carved her name into a tree.
(c) She loved trees.
(d) She cut a tree down to build a fire.
6. When Odysseus blinded the Cyclops, he angered whom?
(a) The monster's cousin, Poseidon.
(b) The monster's brother, Poseidon.
(c) The monster's father, Poseidon.
(d) The monster's uncle, Poseidon.
7. The _____________ were fifty women who killed their husbands on the wedding night, with the exception of Hypermnestra, who woke her husband and helped him escape.
8. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) His own children.
(b) Hera's children.
(c) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(d) Thyestes' children.
9. This king had been told in a prophecy that his daughter Lavinia was destined to marry __________, and he believed this referred to Aeneas.
(a) A stranger.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) A Greek.
(d) A neighbor.
10. Arachne claimed she could __________ better than the goddess Minerva.
(b) Play the lute.
11. The House of Thebes was in many ways as unlucky as the House of Atreus, but their troubles seemed ________.
(a) Much more deserved.
(b) A lot less deserved.
(c) Not as bad.
(d) Much worse.
12. Orithyia was carried away against her will by whom?
(a) The god of the South Wind, Boreas.
(b) The god of the East Wind, Boreas.
(c) The god of the West Wind, Boreas.
(d) The god of the North Wind, Boreas.
13. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She turned to face the sun.
(b) She died.
(c) She wept yellow petals.
(d) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
14. Aeneas stayed with her for a time, but eventually ___________ sent a message telling him to remember his great destiny and to sail for Italy.
15. Who were Atreus' children?
(a) Moppian and Aratus.
(b) Moschus and Apollodorus.
(c) Mimnermus and Antimachus.
(d) Menelaus and Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pelops then refused to honor his bribe and killed Myrtilus, who _____________.
2. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
3. Modern scholarship usually dates The Odyssey to around the ______ century BC.
4. What form did Tereus take?
5. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)