|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Erysichthon was punished for cutting down a tree that was sacred to what goddess?
2. Agamemnon had sacrificed whom to Artemis in order to set sail for Troy?
(a) His wife.
(b) His niece.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His own daughter.
3. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
4. Where were the murdering women punished?
(a) In Tartarus.
(b) In the town square.
(c) On Mt. Olympus.
(d) In prison.
5. Cadmus married _____________, the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares.
6. What happened to Antigone when she ignored Creon's edict and buried her brother?
(a) She was praised for her love for her brother.
(b) She was run through with a sword.
(c) She was send to the underworld to suffer.
(d) She was punished by being buried alive, hanging herself in the tomb rather than facing death by starvation.
7. The society Aeneas founded would one day flourish into ___________.
(a) The great Roman Republic.
(b) The great nation of Greece.
(c) The great nation of Italy.
(d) The great city of Athens.
8. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She turned to face the sun.
(b) She died.
(c) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
(d) She wept yellow petals.
9. Aeneas obeyed immediately, and the heartbroken Queen ______________.
(a) Poisoned herself.
(b) Fell asleep and never woke up.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Committed suicide.
10. Important themes in the myths connected to the House of Thebes include the importance of proper respect for the gods, and the importance of ________,
(a) Respect for one's elders.
(c) Proper burial.
(d) Human life.
11. Why did Oedipus leave home and travel to Thebes?
(a) He was unhappy at home.
(b) He had a falling-out with his parents.
(c) He wanted adventure.
(d) He heard a prophecy that he would kill his father and marry his mother.
12. This story is very different from the other myths in the book for ____________ reasons.
(d) Very few.
13. Whom did Atreus kill and serve for dinner?
(a) Princess Hippodamia's children.
(b) Thyestes' children.
(c) His own children.
(d) Hera's children.
14. What do these myths show?
(a) How self-indulgent the gods could sometimes be.
(b) How loving the gods could sometimes be.
(c) How cruel the gods could sometimes be.
(d) How forgetful the gods could sometimes be.
15. Pomona was a nymph of orchards who was loved by whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipus saved the city from _____________, a monster that asked riddles of travelers who passed by.
2. The _____________ were fifty women who killed their husbands on the wedding night, with the exception of Hypermnestra, who woke her husband and helped him escape.
3. This bad luck began with Tantalus, who served up his own son at a banquet for the gods, perhaps to do what?
4. One of the earliest kings was _______________, who ruled at the time Demeter brought agriculture to earth.
5. Zeus snatched Callisto to safety and put her in the stars, where she became the __________________ constellation.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)