|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Circe's island the men were turned into what?
2. Aurora, goddess of ___________, loved a mortal named Tithonus.
(a) The evening.
(b) The dawn.
(c) The night.
3. The story of Agamemnon shows how terrible acts could cause what?
(a) Problems for an entire city or nation.
(c) A form religious pollution.
(d) Punishment from the gods on the individual performing these terrible acts.
4. The Odyssey was in many ways a celebration of what it meant to be ___________.
(a) Powerful, Greek.
(b) Intelligent, Greek.
(c) Wealthy, Greek.
(d) Civilized, Greek.
5. How did this beautiful nymph feel about Glaucus?
6. Creüsa was raped by what god?
7. Pelops then refused to honor his bribe and killed Myrtilus, who _____________.
(a) Called down a curse on his already corrupted family.
(b) Killed the princess before he died.
(c) Killed Pelops' children.
(d) Poisoned Pelops.
8. When Aeneas and his group arrived in Italy, they were greeted warmly by __________, the local king.
9. This chapter gives brief summaries of _______________ more myths.
10. Who composed the Odyssey?
(a) The Greek bard Homer.
(b) The Roman bard Homer.
(c) The Greek bard Plato.
(d) The Roman bard Plato.
11. What form did Tereus take?
(a) An ugly praying mantis.
(b) An ugly alligator.
(c) An ugly bird with a huge beak.
(d) An ugly bear.
12. Why did visiting the underworld mark Aeneas as a very special hero?
(a) Only a few mortals in the Greek myths went to the underworld and returned.
(b) Most mortals had no interest in going to the underworld.
(c) Only a few mortals made it to the underworld.
(d) Mortals were not allowed to visit the underworld; this was a place for only the gods.
13. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
(a) He left it as he was told.
(b) He killed it himself.
(c) He took it to the king and queen of Corinth.
(d) He kept it and raised it as his own.
14. Procne became a ______________ that sang mournfully for her dead son whom she now regretted killing.
15. Arachne claimed she could __________ better than the goddess Minerva.
(a) Play the lute.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Horn of Plenty, or the Cornucopia, was magically always full of what?
2. Odysseus rescued the men before visiting the dead prophet ________________ in the underworld.
3. King Laius of Thebes was a descendant of ______________, married to a distant cousin called Jocasta.
4. After escaping from Troy, Aeneas traveled with whom to find a new home?
5. It was a moral tale that taught proper behavior toward whom?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)