|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
2. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
3. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A nymph.
(d) A mortal woman.
4. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A great flood.
(b) A great snow storm.
(c) A swarm of locusts.
(d) A plague.
5. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
6. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Mimnermus of Crete.
(b) King Moschus of Crete.
(c) King Minos of Crete.
(d) King Midas of Crete.
7. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche could easily complete them.
(c) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(d) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
8. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was Venus' younger sister.
(b) She was more powerful.
(c) She was more wealthy.
(d) She was young and beautiful.
9. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Titan of Colchis.
(b) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(c) King Tut of Egypt.
(d) King Nguyen of Siam.
10. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
11. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
(b) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
(c) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
(d) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
12. ________________ was the goddess of marriage and women.
13. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The body.
(b) The heart.
(c) The mind.
(d) The soul.
14. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) Their own.
(b) No one's image.
(c) The leaders' images.
(d) The Romans' images.
15. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
(a) A jousting tournament that she knew she would win.
(b) A race on horseback that she knew she would win.
(c) A hotdog eating contest that she knew she would win.
(d) A foot race that she knew she would win.
Short Answer Questions
1. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
2. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
3. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
4. What was the fatal flaw of most Greek heroes?
5. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)