|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Juno and Pluto.
(b) Jupiter and Juno.
(c) Mars and Mercury.
(d) Jupiter and Mercury.
2. Atalanta was raised by ____________ and became a great huntress.
(a) A she-wolf.
(b) A she-bear.
(c) A she-tiger.
(d) A she-fox.
3. The inventor warned his son ______________.
(a) To not go too far away from him.
(b) To not become too sure of his safety.
(c) To not run too fast.
(d) To not fly too close to the sun.
4. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
(a) The white apple.
(b) The white poinsettia leaves.
(c) The white strawberries.
(d) The white mulberry berries.
5. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Titan of Colchis.
(b) King Nguyen of Siam.
(c) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(d) King Tut of Egypt.
6. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
(b) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
(c) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
(d) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
7. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
8. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Minos of Crete.
(b) King Midas of Crete.
(c) King Moschus of Crete.
(d) King Mimnermus of Crete.
9. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
10. Who was Medea?
(a) Tut's neice.
(b) Titan's wife.
(c) Aeetes' daughter.
(d) Nguyen's sister.
11. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his property.
(b) Claiming his slave-girl.
(c) Claiming his daughter.
(d) Claiming his wife.
12. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods had different personalities.
(b) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
(c) The gods are more powerful than man.
(d) The gods were not kind to mankind.
13. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
(a) Orpheus must not ever look upon her.
(b) Orpheus must never touch her.
(c) Orpheus must not look back at her until she was in the land of the living again.
(d) Orpheus must not touch her until she was in the land of the living again.
14. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
15. ________________ was the goddess of marriage and women.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
2. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
3. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
4. To whom was Helen married?
5. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)