|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
2. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(b) By calling for her mother.
(c) By tricking Talus.
(d) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
3. When a mortal committed a crime, broke an oath, or harmed a guest, they were seen to be ___________.
(b) Displeasing and dishonoring the gods.
4. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A great flood.
(b) A great snow storm.
(c) A swarm of locusts.
(d) A plague.
5. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
6. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
(a) At times one of the most.
(b) The most.
(c) Not one of the most.
(d) One of the most.
7. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
8. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) He was tortured into killing them.
(b) He was framed for the killing of his family.
(c) He was evil.
(d) Hera had put him under a spell.
9. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
(b) The gods had different personalities.
(c) The gods are more powerful than man.
(d) The gods were not kind to mankind.
10. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Nguyen of Siam.
(b) King Titan of Colchis.
(c) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(d) King Tut of Egypt.
11. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(c) Bion of Smyrna
12. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
13. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
14. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Other men in small militias.
(b) Other men, alone.
(c) Other men as part of an army.
(d) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
15. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The mind.
(b) The soul.
(c) The body.
(d) The heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
2. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
3. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
4. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
5. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)