|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A great snow storm.
(b) A plague.
(c) A swarm of locusts.
(d) A great flood.
2. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
3. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
(a) The sick.
(b) The defenseless.
(c) The poor.
4. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
(b) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
(c) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
(d) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
5. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
(a) An expensive bribe.
(b) A huge wooden horse.
(c) One last bloody battle.
(d) A sacrifice to the gods.
6. Homer, an ancient Greek _________, provided a lot of important insight in his epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
7. Pygmalion fell in love with the statue of a woman that he had created. Venus took pity on his aching heart and turned the statue into a real, living woman. Pygmalion married her and named her ____________.
8. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
9. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
10. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
11. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
12. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
13. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
14. The myths conveyed developing religious ideas concerning ____________.
(a) Morality and justice.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Birth and death.
(d) God and heaven.
15. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
2. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
3. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
4. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)