|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) Their own.
(b) The Romans' images.
(c) The leaders' images.
(d) No one's image.
2. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
3. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
4. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
5. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
(a) Orpheus must not touch her until she was in the land of the living again.
(b) Orpheus must not look back at her until she was in the land of the living again.
(c) Orpheus must never touch her.
(d) Orpheus must not ever look upon her.
6. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Other men in small militias.
(b) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(c) Other men as part of an army.
(d) Other men, alone.
7. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
8. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his wife.
(b) Claiming his daughter.
(c) Claiming his slave-girl.
(d) Claiming his property.
9. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was more wealthy.
(b) She was young and beautiful.
(c) She was more powerful.
(d) She was Venus' younger sister.
10. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Midas of Athens.
(b) King Theseus of Athens.
(c) King Perseus of Sparta.
(d) King Menelaus of Sparta.
11. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A mortal woman.
12. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
13. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
(a) Polyeidosis, his sister's murderer.
(b) Pelias, his father's murderer.
(c) Phemonoe, his brother's murderer.
(d) Phanocles, his mother's murderer .
14. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Juno and Pluto.
(b) Jupiter and Mercury.
(c) Jupiter and Juno.
(d) Mars and Mercury.
15. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(a) Bion of Smyrna
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Medea?
2. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
3. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
4. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
5. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)