|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Theseus of Athens.
(b) King Midas of Athens.
(c) King Perseus of Sparta.
(d) King Menelaus of Sparta.
2. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
3. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
4. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(b) Bion of Smyrna
5. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Tut of Egypt.
(b) King Titan of Colchis.
(c) King Nguyen of Siam.
(d) King Aeetes of Colchis.
6. Hesiod's _______________ is another main source, which asked questions about the origins of things.
7. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
8. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
9. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because of their wisdom.
(b) Because of their power.
(c) Because they were loving.
(d) Because they were very convincing.
10. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
11. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) The Romans' images.
(b) The leaders' images.
(c) No one's image.
(d) Their own.
12. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
(b) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
(c) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
(d) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
13. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
14. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
(a) A race on horseback that she knew she would win.
(b) A jousting tournament that she knew she would win.
(c) A hotdog eating contest that she knew she would win.
(d) A foot race that she knew she would win.
15. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
(a) A huge wooden horse.
(b) An expensive bribe.
(c) A sacrifice to the gods.
(d) One last bloody battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
2. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
3. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
4. Who was Medea?
5. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)