|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
2. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Menelaus of Sparta.
(b) King Midas of Athens.
(c) King Perseus of Sparta.
(d) King Theseus of Athens.
3. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
4. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(b) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(c) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(d) Psyche could easily complete them.
5. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
6. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
7. Homer, an ancient Greek _________, provided a lot of important insight in his epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
8. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his slave-girl.
(b) Claiming his daughter.
(c) Claiming his wife.
(d) Claiming his property.
9. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
10. Who was Medea?
(a) Tut's neice.
(b) Titan's wife.
(c) Aeetes' daughter.
(d) Nguyen's sister.
11. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of understanding the world.
(b) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
(c) As a way of understanding the heavens.
(d) As a way of connecting to the gods.
12. To what did Atalanta challenge all her suitors?
(a) A hotdog eating contest that she knew she would win.
(b) A race on horseback that she knew she would win.
(c) A jousting tournament that she knew she would win.
(d) A foot race that she knew she would win.
13. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
14. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
(a) Orpheus must not ever look upon her.
(b) Orpheus must not touch her until she was in the land of the living again.
(c) Orpheus must never touch her.
(d) Orpheus must not look back at her until she was in the land of the living again.
15. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
2. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
3. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
4. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
5. ________________ was the goddess of marriage and women.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)