|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
2. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Midas of Crete.
(b) King Mimnermus of Crete.
(c) King Minos of Crete.
(d) King Moschus of Crete.
3. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Poisoned Cronus.
(b) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
(c) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
(d) Fed Zeus to her husband.
4. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
5. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
6. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
7. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
8. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Other men as part of an army.
(b) Other men, alone.
(c) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(d) Other men in small militias.
9. How did the Greek gods act?
(a) Very kindly.
(b) In a very human manner.
(c) In a very god-like manner.
(d) In a very odd manner.
10. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A great flood.
(b) A plague.
(c) A swarm of locusts.
(d) A great snow storm.
11. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(b) King Tut of Egypt.
(c) King Nguyen of Siam.
(d) King Titan of Colchis.
12. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(b) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(c) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
(d) The gods did not like to see death.
13. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was more wealthy.
(b) She was more powerful.
(c) She was Venus' younger sister.
(d) She was young and beautiful.
14. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
15. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cupid became Psyche's husband, but she was instructed that she must never _______.
2. Endymion was a shepherd who was loved by the Moon goddess __________.
3. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
4. Who was Medea?
5. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)