|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
(a) A mortal woman.
(c) A nymph.
2. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
3. Homer, an ancient Greek _________, provided a lot of important insight in his epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
4. When a mortal committed a crime, broke an oath, or harmed a guest, they were seen to be ___________.
(a) Displeasing and dishonoring the gods.
5. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
6. What happened when King Minos locked this inventor up in his own labyrinth?
(a) The inventor constructed wings for him and his son Icarus to fly away.
(b) The inventor poisoned the guards, so he and his son escaped.
(c) Using an invisibility cloak, he snuck himself and his son out of the labyrinth.
(d) The inventor and his son jumped out of the window, with parachutes attached to their backs.
7. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
8. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
(a) The white strawberries.
(b) The white poinsettia leaves.
(c) The white mulberry berries.
(d) The white apple.
9. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
(a) She hid her.
(b) She killed her.
(c) She tortured her.
(d) She saved her.
10. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
11. Hesiod's _______________ is another main source, which asked questions about the origins of things.
12. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(c) Bion of Smyrna
13. Pygmalion fell in love with the statue of a woman that he had created. Venus took pity on his aching heart and turned the statue into a real, living woman. Pygmalion married her and named her ____________.
14. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
15. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
2. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
3. Endymion was a shepherd who was loved by the Moon goddess __________.
4. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
5. The myths conveyed developing religious ideas concerning ____________.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)