|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
2. Another story tells that Zeus was angry with early men and sent what to destroy them?
(a) A plague.
(b) A swarm of locusts.
(c) A great snow storm.
(d) A great flood.
3. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
(a) She was Venus' younger sister.
(b) She was more wealthy.
(c) She was more powerful.
(d) She was young and beautiful.
4. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He poisoned it.
(b) He buried it.
(c) He swallowed it.
(d) He suffocated it.
5. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
(a) The poor.
(b) The defenseless.
(c) The sick.
6. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
7. Cupid became Psyche's husband, but she was instructed that she must never _______.
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Look upon him.
(c) Speak his name.
(d) Touch him.
8. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
(a) Orpheus must never touch her.
(b) Orpheus must not touch her until she was in the land of the living again.
(c) Orpheus must not look back at her until she was in the land of the living again.
(d) Orpheus must not ever look upon her.
9. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods had different personalities.
(b) The gods were not kind to mankind.
(c) The gods are more powerful than man.
(d) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
10. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
11. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(d) Bion of Smyrna
12. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) The gods.
(b) Their religious leaders.
(c) Their parents.
(d) Their neighbors.
13. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his property.
(b) Claiming his wife.
(c) Claiming his slave-girl.
(d) Claiming his daughter.
14. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
(a) A flood.
(b) A chariot accident.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A storm at sea.
15. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
2. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
3. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
4. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
5. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)