|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(b) Other men in small militias.
(c) Other men as part of an army.
(d) Other men, alone.
2. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
3. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
4. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
5. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
6. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
7. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
8. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(b) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(c) By tricking Talus.
(d) By calling for her mother.
9. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The heart.
(b) The soul.
(c) The body.
(d) The mind.
10. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
11. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
12. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(c) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(d) Psyche could easily complete them.
13. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
14. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Titan of Colchis.
(b) King Tut of Egypt.
(c) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(d) King Nguyen of Siam.
15. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Moschus of Crete.
(b) King Mimnermus of Crete.
(c) King Midas of Crete.
(d) King Minos of Crete.
Short Answer Questions
1. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
2. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
3. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
4. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
5. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)