|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(b) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(c) Psyche could easily complete them.
(d) Psyche was unable to complete them.
2. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
3. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
4. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
5. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
6. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
7. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
8. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He poisoned it.
(b) He suffocated it.
(c) He buried it.
(d) He swallowed it.
9. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
10. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
11. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
(a) The white strawberries.
(b) The white apple.
(c) The white poinsettia leaves.
(d) The white mulberry berries.
12. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods were not kind to mankind.
(b) The gods are more powerful than man.
(c) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
(d) The gods had different personalities.
13. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
14. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
15. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
(a) She hid her.
(b) She tortured her.
(c) She saved her.
(d) She killed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
2. Endymion was a shepherd who was loved by the Moon goddess __________.
3. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
4. Why were the gods worshiped?
5. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)