|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The heart.
(b) The body.
(c) The mind.
(d) The soul.
2. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
(a) A car accident.
(b) A flood.
(c) A chariot accident.
(d) A storm at sea.
3. What happened when King Minos locked this inventor up in his own labyrinth?
(a) Using an invisibility cloak, he snuck himself and his son out of the labyrinth.
(b) The inventor and his son jumped out of the window, with parachutes attached to their backs.
(c) The inventor constructed wings for him and his son Icarus to fly away.
(d) The inventor poisoned the guards, so he and his son escaped.
4. Perseus was famous for killing ___________, a Gorgon whose gaze could turn a man to stone.
5. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By tricking Talus.
(b) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(c) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(d) By calling for her mother.
6. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
(a) One of the most.
(b) Not one of the most.
(c) At times one of the most.
(d) The most.
7. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
8. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Tut of Egypt.
(b) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(c) King Titan of Colchis.
(d) King Nguyen of Siam.
9. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A mortal woman.
10. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
11. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
(b) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
(c) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
(d) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
12. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
(a) The defenseless.
(b) The sick.
(d) The poor.
13. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
(a) She killed her.
(b) She saved her.
(c) She tortured her.
(d) She hid her.
14. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
15. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
2. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
3. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
4. What was the fatal flaw of most Greek heroes?
5. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)