|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(b) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(c) The gods did not like to see death.
(d) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
2. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
3. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The soul.
(b) The body.
(c) The mind.
(d) The heart.
4. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
(a) A pine tree.
(b) A mulberry tree.
(c) A spruce tree.
(d) An oak tree.
5. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of connecting to the gods.
(b) As a way of understanding the heavens.
(c) As a way of understanding the world.
(d) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
6. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) The Romans' images.
(b) Their own.
(c) No one's image.
(d) The leaders' images.
7. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
8. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
9. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
10. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Moschus of Crete.
(b) King Minos of Crete.
(c) King Mimnermus of Crete.
(d) King Midas of Crete.
11. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Midas of Athens.
(b) King Perseus of Sparta.
(c) King Theseus of Athens.
(d) King Menelaus of Sparta.
12. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
13. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their neighbors.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their religious leaders.
14. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
15. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
2. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
3. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
4. _______________ was the goddess of wisdom, and protector of cities and civilization.
5. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)