|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
2. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
3. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
4. Later Greek writers include ______________, a lyric poet whose poems contained references to mythology, and the tragic playwrights Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
5. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his slave-girl.
(b) Claiming his wife.
(c) Claiming his property.
(d) Claiming his daughter.
6. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(d) Bion of Smyrna
7. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
8. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
9. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
(a) A chariot accident.
(b) A storm at sea.
(c) A flood.
(d) A car accident.
10. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
11. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Tut of Egypt.
(b) King Titan of Colchis.
(c) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(d) King Nguyen of Siam.
12. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because they were loving.
(b) Because of their wisdom.
(c) Because they were very convincing.
(d) Because of their power.
13. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
14. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
(a) A pine tree.
(b) A mulberry tree.
(c) A spruce tree.
(d) An oak tree.
15. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A nymph.
(d) A mortal woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
2. The story of the Trojan War was ______________ important and popular myths of the Greeks, and one which every educated Greek and Roman would have been familiar with.
3. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
4. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
5. The inventor warned his son ______________.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)