|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) The gods did not like to see death.
(b) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(c) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
(d) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
2. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
3. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
(a) An oak tree.
(b) A spruce tree.
(c) A pine tree.
(d) A mulberry tree.
4. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because of their power.
(b) Because they were loving.
(c) Because they were very convincing.
(d) Because of their wisdom.
5. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
6. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
7. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Mars and Mercury.
(b) Juno and Pluto.
(c) Jupiter and Juno.
(d) Jupiter and Mercury.
8. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
9. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
10. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
11. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(c) Psyche could easily complete them.
(d) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
12. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(b) By calling for her mother.
(c) By tricking Talus.
(d) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
13. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
14. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
15. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) Their own.
(b) The Romans' images.
(c) The leaders' images.
(d) No one's image.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Medea?
2. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
3. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
4. Cupid became Psyche's husband, but she was instructed that she must never _______.
5. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)