|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
(b) As a way of connecting to the gods.
(c) As a way of understanding the world.
(d) As a way of understanding the heavens.
2. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
3. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
4. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because they were loving.
(b) Because of their wisdom.
(c) Because of their power.
(d) Because they were very convincing.
5. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Juno and Pluto.
(b) Jupiter and Mercury.
(c) Jupiter and Juno.
(d) Mars and Mercury.
6. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
7. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
8. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
9. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
10. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
11. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
12. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He buried it.
(b) He poisoned it.
(c) He swallowed it.
(d) He suffocated it.
13. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
14. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
(a) Polyeidosis, his sister's murderer.
(b) Phanocles, his mother's murderer .
(c) Phemonoe, his brother's murderer.
(d) Pelias, his father's murderer.
15. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
2. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
3. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
4. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
5. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)