|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
(a) An expensive bribe.
(b) One last bloody battle.
(c) A huge wooden horse.
(d) A sacrifice to the gods.
2. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
3. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche could easily complete them.
(b) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(c) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(d) Psyche was unable to complete them.
4. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
(b) Fed Zeus to her husband.
(c) Poisoned Cronus.
(d) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
5. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
6. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
7. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) Hera had put him under a spell.
(b) He was evil.
(c) He was tortured into killing them.
(d) He was framed for the killing of his family.
8. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
9. When a mortal committed a crime, broke an oath, or harmed a guest, they were seen to be ___________.
(a) Displeasing and dishonoring the gods.
10. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
11. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
(b) As a way of understanding the heavens.
(c) As a way of understanding the world.
(d) As a way of connecting to the gods.
12. Pyramus and Thisbe agreed to meet by _________.
(a) A spruce tree.
(b) A mulberry tree.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A pine tree.
13. ____________ was the goddess of love, who was said to have been born from the foam of the sea.
14. Pygmalion fell in love with the statue of a woman that he had created. Venus took pity on his aching heart and turned the statue into a real, living woman. Pygmalion married her and named her ____________.
15. What was the fatal flaw of most Greek heroes?
(a) Their intelligence.
(b) Their empathy for mankind.
(c) Their physical weakness.
(d) Their egos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
2. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
3. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
4. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
5. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)