|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
2. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
3. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods were not kind to mankind.
(b) The gods had different personalities.
(c) The gods are more powerful than man.
(d) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
4. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(b) Psyche could easily complete them.
(c) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(d) Psyche was unable to complete them.
5. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
6. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) The gods.
(b) Their neighbors.
(c) Their parents.
(d) Their religious leaders.
7. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
8. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Jupiter and Juno.
(b) Juno and Pluto.
(c) Mars and Mercury.
(d) Jupiter and Mercury.
9. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(b) Other men in small militias.
(c) Other men, alone.
(d) Other men as part of an army.
10. Why were the gods worshiped?
(a) Because they were loving.
(b) Because of their power.
(c) Because of their wisdom.
(d) Because they were very convincing.
11. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Moschus of Crete.
(b) King Minos of Crete.
(c) King Midas of Crete.
(d) King Mimnermus of Crete.
12. Jason was the hero who set out to retrieve the Golden Fleece from whom?
(a) King Titan of Colchis.
(b) King Aeetes of Colchis.
(c) King Nguyen of Siam.
(d) King Tut of Egypt.
13. Why did the Greeks create their myths, initially?
(a) As a way of understanding the heavens.
(b) As a way of teaching moral lessons.
(c) As a way of connecting to the gods.
(d) As a way of understanding the world.
14. Perseus was famous for killing ___________, a Gorgon whose gaze could turn a man to stone.
15. To whom was Helen married?
(a) King Theseus of Athens.
(b) King Midas of Athens.
(c) King Perseus of Sparta.
(d) King Menelaus of Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
2. Homer, an ancient Greek _________, provided a lot of important insight in his epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
3. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
4. Why was Venus jealous of Psyche?
5. Who was Medea?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)