|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pygmalion fell in love with the statue of a woman that he had created. Venus took pity on his aching heart and turned the statue into a real, living woman. Pygmalion married her and named her ____________.
2. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
3. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By tricking Talus.
(b) By calling for her mother.
(c) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(d) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
4. What did Medea do to the daughter of the king of Corinth?
(a) She hid her.
(b) She saved her.
(c) She tortured her.
(d) She killed her.
5. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) The gods did not like to see death.
(b) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(c) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(d) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
6. What happened when Venus gave Psyche a series of impossible tasks?
(a) Psyche was unable to complete them.
(b) Psyche ignored Venus' tasks.
(c) Psyche was always helped by sympathetic creatures.
(d) Psyche could easily complete them.
7. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
8. Hercules undertook ______________ seemingly impossible tasks for King Eurystheus of Mycenae in order to punish and purify himself for the murder of his family.
9. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
(b) Poisoned Cronus.
(c) Fed Zeus to her husband.
(d) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
10. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
11. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
12. Hesiod's _______________ is another main source, which asked questions about the origins of things.
13. ______________ was the god of the sea and brother of Zeus.
14. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) Hera had put him under a spell.
(b) He was framed for the killing of his family.
(c) He was tortured into killing them.
(d) He was evil.
15. _________ was the king of the gods and ruler of Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
2. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
3. ________________ was the goddess of marriage and women.
4. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
5. Persephone was enchanted by Orpheus' music, and Hades agreed to release Eurydice, on what condition?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)