|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
2. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(b) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(c) By calling for her mother.
(d) By tricking Talus.
3. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
4. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
5. There are _______ different versions of the story of the creation of man.
6. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
7. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
(a) Without a burial, the dead could not get to Mt. Olympus.
(b) The gods did not like to see death.
(c) The gods had created the burial ceremony.
(d) Burial rites were incredibly important in ancient Greece.
8. Earlier heroes were superhuman individuals who fought alone against monsters and strange creatures, while the Trojan heroes fought whom?
(a) Other men as part of an army.
(b) Monsters and strange creatures as part of an army.
(c) Other men, alone.
(d) Other men in small militias.
9. These gods were the children of the ____________, who were the children of heaven and earth.
10. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
11. Theseus was honored by the Athenians as a protector of _____________ and a great king of their city.
(a) The defenseless.
(b) The poor.
(d) The sick.
12. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
13. The abduction of Helen began a _____ year war between Greece and Troy, with many heroes on both sides.
14. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He poisoned it.
(b) He suffocated it.
(c) He buried it.
(d) He swallowed it.
15. Atalanta was raised by ____________ and became a great huntress.
(a) A she-bear.
(b) A she-wolf.
(c) A she-tiger.
(d) A she-fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
2. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
3. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
4. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
5. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)