|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baucis and Philemon were an old couple who showed good hospitality towards ________________ when they visited them disguised as mortals.
(a) Jupiter and Juno.
(b) Juno and Pluto.
(c) Jupiter and Mercury.
(d) Mars and Mercury.
2. Theseus saved Athens from the cruelty of _______________, who demanded a tribute of seven maidens and seven young men every nine years to feed to the Minotaur.
(a) King Mimnermus of Crete.
(b) King Moschus of Crete.
(c) King Midas of Crete.
(d) King Minos of Crete.
3. Theseus became a good and just king of _________ and took part in many more adventures, such as the Calydonian Boar hunt and the fight between Centaurs and Lapiths.
4. What turned crimson in honor of Pyramus and Thisbe's great love?
(a) The white poinsettia leaves.
(b) The white mulberry berries.
(c) The white apple.
(d) The white strawberries.
5. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
6. The main gods, or ______________, lived on Mount Olympus.
7. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
8. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
9. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
10. Achilles could not stand the slight to his honor that Agamemnon brought about by ______________.
(a) Claiming his slave-girl.
(b) Claiming his daughter.
(c) Claiming his wife.
(d) Claiming his property.
11. Homeric hymns, written from the end of the ______________ century BC to the fifth or even fourth century BC, were written to honor various gods.
12. Phaёthon was the son of the Sun-god ____________.
13. The heroes of the Trojan War, also called __________ heroes, were slightly different from the older mythological heroes such as Hercules, Perseus and Theseus.
14. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) Their parents.
(b) The gods.
(c) Their religious leaders.
(d) Their neighbors.
15. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
(b) Poisoned Cronus.
(c) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
(d) Fed Zeus to her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
2. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
3. Who was the only Trojan prince to escape?
4. Otus and Ephialtes were ___________ who wanted to prove that they were the equals of the gods.
5. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)