|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) He was tortured into killing them.
(b) He was framed for the killing of his family.
(c) Hera had put him under a spell.
(d) He was evil.
2. According to the Greeks, in the beginning there was only __________.
3. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
(a) Paris stabbed Achilles' heel with his sword.
(b) Paris shot Achilles in the heart with an arrow.
(c) Paris stabbed him in the heart.
(d) Paris shot an arrow into Achilles' heel.
4. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) Their neighbors.
(b) Their religious leaders.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their parents.
5. Zeus imprisoned the Titans and forced _______ to hold up the sky.
6. ____________ was the other brother of Zeus and ruler of the underworld, where mortals went when they died.
7. Pegasus was used to help kill the fearsome monster called the Chimaera, which had the body and head of a fire-breathing _______, a goat's head in the middle of its back, and a snake for a tail.
8. The inventor warned his son ______________.
(a) To not become too sure of his safety.
(b) To not fly too close to the sun.
(c) To not run too fast.
(d) To not go too far away from him.
9. The behavior of the Greek gods reflects the Greek attitude towards the beauty and perfection of _______.
10. The myths conveyed developing religious ideas concerning ____________.
(a) The Bible.
(b) Morality and justice.
(c) God and heaven.
(d) Birth and death.
11. The Greeks finally won the war with __________.
(a) A sacrifice to the gods.
(b) One last bloody battle.
(c) A huge wooden horse.
(d) An expensive bribe.
12. When a Trojan prince called Paris was asked to judge a beauty contest between three goddesses, who bribed him with the offer of the most beautiful woman in the world?
13. How does Medea save herself and Jason from the huge bronze man Talus?
(a) By calling the hounds of Hades to help.
(b) By tricking Talus.
(c) By hiding them in an enchanted tree.
(d) By calling for her mother.
14. What was the fatal flaw of most Greek heroes?
(a) Their intelligence.
(b) Their physical weakness.
(c) Their empathy for mankind.
(d) Their egos.
15. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) The leaders' images.
(b) No one's image.
(c) Their own.
(d) The Romans' images.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
2. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
3. To punish men, Zeus sent them ___________.
4. Hesiod's _______________ is another main source, which asked questions about the origins of things.
5. When they reached home, Medea helped Jason take revenge on whom?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)