|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Apollo (also known as Apollo to the Romans) and _________ were the children of Zeus and Leto.
2. Perseus was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A mortal woman.
3. Whose family survived Zeus' anger?
4. Of what did Psyche become the goddess?
(a) The heart.
(b) The soul.
(c) The body.
(d) The mind.
5. The Romans believed in the Olympian gods, giving them different ___________.
6. How did the Greek gods act?
(a) In a very god-like manner.
(b) Very kindly.
(c) In a very odd manner.
(d) In a very human manner.
7. When Zeus was born, what did Cronus' wife Rhea do?
(a) Fed Zeus to her husband.
(b) Buried Zeus before his father could find him.
(c) Poisoned Cronus.
(d) Fed Cronus a stone wrapped in blankets instead of Zeus.
8. ________________ was the hero who rode the famous winged horse Pegasus, whom Athena helped him to catch.
(a) Bion of Smyrna
9. How is the creation myth of the Greeks peculiar?
(a) The gods had different personalities.
(b) The gods did not create the universe or the world.
(c) The gods were not kind to mankind.
(d) The gods are more powerful than man.
10. When a mortal committed a crime, broke an oath, or harmed a guest, they were seen to be ___________.
(a) Displeasing and dishonoring the gods.
11. Perseus was famous for killing ___________, a Gorgon whose gaze could turn a man to stone.
12. ____________ was the god of light, archery, music, culture, healing, and prophecy.
13. Hercules was the son of Zeus and whom?
(c) A mortal woman.
(d) A nymph.
14. Homeric hymns, written from the end of the ______________ century BC to the fifth or even fourth century BC, were written to honor various gods.
15. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He swallowed it.
(b) He buried it.
(c) He suffocated it.
(d) He poisoned it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
2. How was Achilles killed by Paris?
3. Zeus and the other gods took over when Zeus dethroned ____________ and seized his power.
4. In one version of the story of the creation of man, the gods created different races of men based on _________.
5. Why was refusing someone a burial a serious affront to the gods?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)