|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three. The Great Heroes before the Trojan War - Perseus, Theseus, Hercules and Atalanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theseus was the son of ____________, king of Athens, but he was brought up in a city in southern Greece.
2. ______________ was a great inventor who built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
3. Pyramus and Thisbe were neighbors who fell in love, but who would not allow them to marry?
(a) Their religious leaders.
(b) Their neighbors.
(c) The gods.
(d) Their parents.
4. Why did Hercules kill his wife and children?
(a) Hera had put him under a spell.
(b) He was evil.
(c) He was tortured into killing them.
(d) He was framed for the killing of his family.
5. The myths conveyed developing religious ideas concerning ____________.
(a) Birth and death.
(b) Morality and justice.
(c) The Bible.
(d) God and heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of this came Night and Death, then Light, followed by Earth (_________) and Heaven (Ouranos, or Uranus).
2. The Greeks saw perfection in the ideal beauty of __________, and they used it as a model for their statues of the gods. .
3. On Perseus' return, he flew over _____________ where the maiden Andromeda was being sacrificed to a sea-monster to appease the anger of the sea-god and his nymphs.
4. When Alcyone's husband Ceyx was killed in ______________, the pitying gods sent her a dream to tell her the truth about what had happened to him.
5. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)