Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Seven. The Mythology of the Norsemen - The Stories of Signy and of Sigurd, and The Norse Gods.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clytie was a mortal woman who loved the Sun-god and pined away while watching the sun. What did she do after she was turned into a sunflower?
(a) She wept yellow petals.
(b) She let her heavy head sink to the ground.
(c) She turned to face the sun.
(d) She died.
2. After killing some of the Sun-god's ______________, all of Odysseus' men were punished by drowning in a storm.
3. The Greeks created their gods in whose image?
(a) The leaders' images.
(b) The Romans' images.
(c) Their own.
(d) No one's image.
4. The Titan called Cronus fought his father and took his power. Fearing that his children would do the same when they grew up, what did he do to each newborn baby?
(a) He buried it.
(b) He suffocated it.
(c) He swallowed it.
(d) He poisoned it.
5. This son was worshiped afterward by the Greeks and the Romans as what?
(a) A god of healing.
(b) A god of forgiveness.
(c) A god of peace.
(d) A god of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Signy was a woman whose ______________ killed her father and brothers.
2. Odysseus and his men faced man eating monsters and strange magic, losing how many ships on their journey?
3. Homeric hymns, written from the end of the ______________ century BC to the fifth or even fourth century BC, were written to honor various gods.
4. King Laius heard a prophecy that his own son would kill him, so the baby was sent away to be left to die on a hillside. What did the servant do with the baby?
5. The Roman poet ________ wrote a lot about the myths, but presented them as silly stories that held no inner meaning.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)