|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the headline mentioned in "Reading and Deciphering Myth"?
2. The author says that the main character of "The Lady of the Camellias" lives in the awareness of what?
3. "The relation which reunites the concept of the myth to its meaning is essentially a relation of ____." How is this quote from "The Form and the Concept" finished?
4. In "Myth on the Right," what does the bourgeoisie want to keep with the appearances?
5. What does the author say the world supplies to myth in "Myth is Depoliticized Speech"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "the inoculation"?
2. Does the author admit there are revolts against the bourgeois ideology in "The Bourgeoisie as a Joint-Stock Company"? What is it called?
3. What does the author suggest is characteristic of myth in "Myth as a Stolen Language"?
4. What is semiology?
5. In myth, what is the tri-dimensional pattern described by the author in "Myth as a Semiological System?" What is the title the author gives to the system that existed before the myth?
6. Why does the author say that poetry is ideal prey for myth in "Myth as a Stolen Language"?
7. What allows the reader of "Reading and Deciphering Myth" to consume myth innocently?
8. How must one understand the term "political" in "Myth is Depoliticized Speech"?
9. How do the ways that Marguerite and Armand feel love differ from one another in "The Lady of the Camellias"?
10. How is the woman in "Striptease" an object in disguise? What is the point of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does modern culture create superficial notions in its art? What does this suggest of the world that creates this art? How is it different than art of the past?
Essay Topic 2
How is beauty an important form of myth? How is it decided what beauty is? What examples from the book are there of this?
Essay Topic 3
What is Einstein's role in our culture? What has changed about him as a myth since he died? How is he appreciated and what for? What are the two camps of regarding his thought process, according to the author?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)