|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a significant unit or synthesis mentioned by the author in "Myth is a Type of Speech"?
2. "A ____ decor complete with _____." How is this quote from Striptease finished?
3. In "The Bourgeoisie as a Joint-Stock Company," what term does the author first examine?
4. What language is not mythical according to "Myth on the Left"?
5. In "Myth is a Stolen Language," what offers little resistance to robbery by myth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the author admit there are revolts against the bourgeois ideology in "The Bourgeoisie as a Joint-Stock Company"? What is it called?
2. What is semiology?
3. What are the three ways in which one can understand the myth in "Reading and Deciphering Myth"?
4. Why does the author believe cars have become the modern equivalent of Gothic cathedrals in "The New Citroen"?
5. What language is not mythical according to "Myth on the Left?" Why?
6. How does the author suggest that myth seeks after him (or you or I) in "The Signification"?
7. In "Myth is a Type of Speech" what does the author say that myth is? What does he say that a form of speech is?
8. How does the author suggest class and progressive humanism differ from one another in "The Great Family of Man"?
9. In "The Form and the Concept," how is it the author suggests the signifier of myth is presented?
10. In myth, what is the tri-dimensional pattern described by the author in "Myth as a Semiological System?" What is the title the author gives to the system that existed before the myth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is mythology vital to people? How is it vital to language? Why is mythology important to study?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author say of writers as figures? Do you agree or disagree? Is there anyone else who deserves the same consideration more than writers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What journalism/literature devalues the human experience, according to the author? How and why do people let this happen?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)