|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Myth is a Stolen Language," what is characteristic of myth?
2. "Myth is a type of speech chosen by ______." How is this quote finished?
3. According to the author in "The Great Family of Men," Nature is placed where?
4. In "Myth on the Left" what is the opposite of myth?
5. Which of the following is not part of the whole system of values for a myth in "The Form and the Concept"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say that poetry is ideal prey for myth in "Myth as a Stolen Language"?
2. What allows the reader of "Reading and Deciphering Myth" to consume myth innocently?
3. Why does Marguerite only send the audience "to sleep" in "The Lady of the Camellias"?
4. What is semiology?
5. How is the woman in "Striptease" an object in disguise? What is the point of this?
6. In "The Form and the Concept," how is it the author suggests the signifier of myth is presented?
7. Why does the author believe cars have become the modern equivalent of Gothic cathedrals in "The New Citroen"?
8. How must one understand the term "political" in "Myth is Depoliticized Speech"?
9. How does the author suggest class and progressive humanism differ from one another in "The Great Family of Man"?
10. In "Myth is a Type of Speech" what does the author say that myth is? What does he say that a form of speech is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author say of critics? Who are critics to him and why are they relevant/irrelevant? What are the themes of the essays he writes specifically about critics? How are these essays similar/different to others in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is beauty an important form of myth? How is it decided what beauty is? What examples from the book are there of this?
Essay Topic 3
Where can mythology be seen in the mundane (Think "Soap Powders and Detergents.")? How is using myths for everyday products/issues important/irrelevant in your opinion? What does doing so mean of the people who do it?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)