|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the functions of myth in "Myth is Depoliticized Speech"?
2. According to "The Form and the Concept" what is the second term of the system in Freud?
3. "The spiritualization can be seen in the extent, the quality and the material of the _____." How is this quote from "The New Citroen" finished?
4. In "The Form and the Concept" a complete image would do what to myth?
5. According to the author, what is striptease to France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is plastic a "miraculous substance," according to the author in "Plastic"?
2. Why does the author believe cars have become the modern equivalent of Gothic cathedrals in "The New Citroen"?
3. Why does the author say that poetry is ideal prey for myth in "Myth as a Stolen Language"?
4. What does the author suggest is characteristic of myth in "Myth as a Stolen Language"?
5. Does the author admit there are revolts against the bourgeois ideology in "The Bourgeoisie as a Joint-Stock Company"? What is it called?
6. In myth, what is the tri-dimensional pattern described by the author in "Myth as a Semiological System?" What is the title the author gives to the system that existed before the myth?
7. How must one understand the term "political" in "Myth is Depoliticized Speech"?
8. How do the ways that Marguerite and Armand feel love differ from one another in "The Lady of the Camellias"?
9. What language is not mythical according to "Myth on the Left?" Why?
10. Why does Marguerite only send the audience "to sleep" in "The Lady of the Camellias"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is wrestling a mirror of real life? Who are the "players" of wrestling that are frequent characters of the world in which we live? How is this merger of these characters with violence relevant to our society?
Essay Topic 2
How can myths and communication be used unfairly? What examples of this are there from the book?
Essay Topic 3
What myths/objects are nationalistic in French culture? Why are myths important to the French, specifically? How is the author eager to exemplify what is French and what is not in the book?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)