|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on Einstein's head in the photograph where he is lying down in on a bed, referred to in "The Brain of Einstein"?
(a) Electric wires.
(b) A hat.
(d) A scarf.
2. What does the author say culture will be opposed to in "Neither-Nor Criticism"?
3. Who does the author say would not "know" the Jet-Man?
(a) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
4. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," what are most ships in legend of fiction?
(a) "Necessity to dreams."
(b) "Enjoyed vessels."
(c) "Round, smooth universe."
(d) "Painful objects of captivity."
5. In "Steak and Chips," the author compares steak to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. As said in "Wine and Milk," wine is to the French as what is to the Dutch?
2. How does the author refer to the magazine he writes of in "Ornamental Cooking"?
3. "Novels and Children" was written in response to an article in what magazine?
4. What other famous author does Barthes compare misunderstandings in language to in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
5. "Your ____ will be furious!" How is this quote from "Operation Margarine" finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. From reading "Ornamental Cookery," why would you say that Elle creates such a grandiose food section for a working-class readership?
2. Why are the "Ornamental Cookery" images in Elle magazine put fourth in vain?
3. What is the significance of eating steak rare in "Steak and Chips"?
4. Why is it that the writer works on holiday important?
5. How was Dominici convicted of his crime in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
6. How is fairness apart of wrestling?
7. What is the function of wrestling according to "The World of Wrestling?" What does the author contrast this to? Why is this the function of wrestling?
8. What does the author note is the difference between cartoons and photographs of Einstein? What is the significance of Einstein being featured in cartoons?
9. How can bourgeois toys be be recognized?
10. How does royalty dress in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"? What does this say of the royal families?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)