|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the pajamas mentioned in "The Writer on Holiday"?
2. With what quote does "Neither-Nor Critcism" conclude?
(a) "Literature has entered a situation which is difficult, restricted, mortal."
(b) "And yet, nothing can escape being put into question by History; not even good writing."
(c) "I rather fear that the new Neither-Nor critcism is one season behind."
(d) "It can even be said it is when man proclaims his primal liberty that his subordination is least disputable."
3. In the opening sentence of "The Brain of Einstein," the author states that Einstein's brain is what sort of object?
4. Where was this meeting on soaps mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
(d) New York.
5. In "Wine and Milk," what is the opposite of wine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "easy substitute" for the morally uplifting walk, in "The Blue Guide"?
2. What time do the royals wake up to mock the working class in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
3. Which of the following is not something the author says the ship grows past being in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
4. "Which phrase concludes "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
5. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battle between good and evil in "The World of Wrestling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image of wine does the author create in the beginning of "Wine and Milk"?
2. What does the author say Garbo's beauty suggests of culture?
3. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
4. What are the two signs that are discussed in "The Romans in Films?" What do they suggest of Roman and modern culture?
5. The evil that the author speaks of in "Operation Margarine," where else does he say it is present, beyond the Army and the Church? What example does he use?
6. How are "The Nautilus" and "Mysterious Island" similar and different?
7. Why is it that the writer works on holiday important?
8. What is particularly special of the "Jet-Man"?
9. How was Dominici convicted of his crime in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
10. Why does the author speak ill of men as 'types' in "The Blue Guide"?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)