|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Saint is the Abbe said to be dressed up as in "The Iconography of the Abbe Pierre"?
2. According to the author in "Neither-Nor Criticism," which of the following isn't "heavy, defective words"?
3. Who does the author compare wrestlers to in the final paragraph of "The World of Wrestling"?
4. What religious sect is referred to in "Novels and Children"?
(a) Unitarian Universalists.
(c) Hasidic Jews.
(d) Sunni Muslims.
5. In "Wine and Milk," what is the opposite of wine?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Your ____ will be furious!" How is this quote from "Operation Margarine" finished?
2. Which of the following is not a phrase used to describe Einstein or his brain in "The Brain of Einstein"?
3. "Chips are ____ and ____ like steak." How is this quote finished from "Steak and Chips"?
4. What film is mentioned in "The Face of Garbo"?
5. Where does the author suggest holidays originate from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the literary device Verne created?
2. In "Blind and Dumb Criticism," why would a critic admitting that he is not scholarly enough to comment appropriately on the work at hand be toxic to a culture?
3. What does the author say Garbo's beauty suggests of culture?
4. How was Dominici convicted of his crime in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
5. How is fairness apart of wrestling?
6. Why is it that the writer works on holiday important?
7. Why does the author speak ill of men as 'types' in "The Blue Guide"?
8. What is the significance of eating steak rare in "Steak and Chips"?
9. The evil that the author speaks of in "Operation Margarine," where else does he say it is present, beyond the Army and the Church? What example does he use?
10. What is the function of wrestling according to "The World of Wrestling?" What does the author contrast this to? Why is this the function of wrestling?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)