|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was this meeting on soaps mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
(a) New York.
2. How is a writer's holiday different from another tradesman according to the author in "The Writer on Holiday"?
(a) He spends more money.
(b) He drinks more.
(c) He travels further from home.
(d) He continues to work.
3. "Wine is here a part of the reason of _____." How is this quote from "Wine and Milk" finished?
4. Who is the actor the author focuses on in "The Poor and the Proletariat"?
(a) Clark Gable.
(b) Marlon Brando.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
(d) John Wayne.
5. The author argues that French toys "are meant to produce children who are users, not ____." How is this quote finished?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the international meeting on soap mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
2. What did Queen Frederika wear in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
3. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battles between character types in, "The World of Wrestling"?
4. Einstein died without having been able to what?
5. What other alcoholic beverage is wine contrasted to in "Wine and Milk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are steak and chips (i.e. French fries) alike?
2. How is the opening claim in "Neither-Nor Criticism" that "criticism must be 'neither a parlour game, nor a municipal service'" affect the remainder of the article?
3. From reading "Ornamental Cookery," why would you say that Elle creates such a grandiose food section for a working-class readership?
4. What is particularly special of the "Jet-Man"?
5. What does the author compare Garbo's makeup to? What male personality is she compared to?
6. How does royalty dress in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"? What does this say of the royal families?
7. The evil that the author speaks of in "Operation Margarine," where else does he say it is present, beyond the Army and the Church? What example does he use?
8. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
9. How does the author introduce holidays in "The Writer on Holiday"?
10. How are "The Nautilus" and "Mysterious Island" similar and different?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)