|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Novels and Children" was written in response to an article in what magazine?
(a) La Monde.
2. Which popular cartoon character is mentioned in "Wine and Milk"?
(a) Donald Duck.
(b) Winnie the Pooh.
3. With what quote does "Neither-Nor Critcism" conclude?
(a) "I rather fear that the new Neither-Nor critcism is one season behind."
(b) "It can even be said it is when man proclaims his primal liberty that his subordination is least disputable."
(c) "Literature has entered a situation which is difficult, restricted, mortal."
(d) "And yet, nothing can escape being put into question by History; not even good writing."
4. Which of the following is not a phrase used to describe Einstein or his brain in "The Brain of Einstein"?
(a) "A true museum exhibit."
(b) "World of robots."
(c) "Bed of thorns."
5. As said in "Wine and Milk," wine is to the French as what is to the Dutch?
(a) "The milk of the farm."
(b) "The milk of the mother."
(c) "The milk of the cow."
(d) "The milk of the chocolate."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not what the author argues convicted the defendant in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
2. In "Wine and Milk," what is the opposite of wine?
3. "Which phrase concludes "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
4. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," the ship is an emblem of what?
5. What sort of values does steak adhere to in "Steak and Chips"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the "Ornamental Cookery" images in Elle magazine put fourth in vain?
2. What is particularly special of the "Jet-Man"?
3. What image of wine does the author create in the beginning of "Wine and Milk"?
4. What is the literary device Verne created?
5. What does the author compare Garbo's makeup to? What male personality is she compared to?
6. In "Blind and Dumb Criticism," why would a critic admitting that he is not scholarly enough to comment appropriately on the work at hand be toxic to a culture?
7. What is the sexist irony of "Novels and Children"?
8. What are the two signs that are discussed in "The Romans in Films?" What do they suggest of Roman and modern culture?
9. What does the author say Garbo's beauty suggests of culture?
10. What are the metaphorical roles of the different types of "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)