|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Myth on the Left" what is the opposite of myth?
(a) Speech that is changed often.
(b) Speech that remains political.
(c) Speech that remains scientific.
(d) Speech that is used commonly.
2. "A ____ decor complete with _____." How is this quote from Striptease finished?
(a) Venetian, gondola.
(b) Chinese, bamboo.
(c) British, lilies.
(d) Roman, ivy.
3. Mythology is a part of ideology in what way according to "Myth is a Semiological System"?
(a) It is a physical science.
(b) It is nutritional for a culture.
(c) It is a historical science.
(d) It is regulated by the definitions of objects.
4. What is the final example in "Plastic" of the material's infringement on nature?
(a) Artificial plants.
(b) Production of plastic aortas.
(c) It use in child birthing.
(d) Its contamination of food.
5. As per the opening statement, "Striptease" emphasizes which city?
6. "______, myth is on the right." How is this quote finished?
7. In "Myth is a Type of Speech," the author claims that myth is a form. Which of the following is NOT something he says must be assigned to this form?
(a) Reintroduce society into it.
(b) Cultural aspects to the object.
(c) Historical limits.
(d) Conditions of use.
8. In "Myth on the Right," what does the bourgeoisie want to keep with the appearances?
9. The author says that the main character of "The Lady of the Camellias" sends the audience to where?
10. In "The Great Family of Men," what is "The Family of Men" the author discusses?
(a) A photography exhibit.
(b) A painting.
(c) A book of photography.
(d) A film.
11. How does "Myth as Stolen Language" conclude?
(a) "The ideal of course would be to combine these two types of criticism."
(b) "One must deal with the writer's realism either as an ideological substance or as a semiological value."
(c) "The mistake which is constantly made is to confuse them."
(d) "Ideology has its methods, and so has semiology."
12. "Myth is a type of speech chosen by ______." How is this quote finished?
(c) Popular culture.
13. "Myth is not defined by _____." How is this quote from "Myth is a Type of Speech" finished?
(a) "The subject its communicators."
(b) "The object of its meaning."
(c) "The object of its message."
(d) "The principles of its speech."
14. Which of the following is not part of the function of a myth in "Myth is a Semiological System"?
(a) "It makes us understand something."
(b) "It defines something as meaningful."
(c) "It imposes it on us."
(d) "It points out and it notifies."
15. What is the subject of the headline mentioned in "Reading and Deciphering Myth"?
(a) The price of milk.
(b) The price of vegetables.
(c) The change in language.
(d) The effects of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Myth is a Type of Speech," myth is a system of what?
2. "The _____ of myth presents itself in an ambiguous way." How is this quote from "The Form and the Concept" finished?
3. According to the author, what is striptease to France?
4. Plastic is "ubiquity made ____." How is this quote from "Plastic" finished?
5. In "The Bourgeoisie as a Joint-Stock Company," what is the characterization of an unchanging humanity?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)