|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine is the reference point for "Ornamental Cooking"?
(b) Au Jus.
(c) Ornamental Cooking.
(d) Good Housekeeping.
2. Which of the following is not another "great spectacle" the author mentions in "The World of Wrestling"?
3. Who is "a fifty-year-old with an obese and sagging body"?
4. The author argues that, ultimately, wrestlers are what?
(a) Con artists.
5. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," the ship is a symbol of what?
6. The author sees toys as doing what to children?
7. In "Wine and Milk," what is the opposite of wine?
8. Which of the following is not a publication referred to by the author in "The Blue Guide"?
(a) Michelin Guide.
9. Which types of toys is the author more fond of?
10. What is the second sign in "The Romans in Films"?
(d) Skin color.
11. How does the author refer to the magazine he writes of in "Ornamental Cooking"?
(a) "A highly valuable journal."
(b) "Impossible recipes, absurd photographs."
(c) "A pompous collection of reviews."
(d) "Pages that turn in parallel with the times in which we live."
12. What does the writing of the author under discussion in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat" most typically explore?
(a) Mystery in what is typical.
13. Finish the following statement from "Toys": "The adult Frenchman sees the child as ______."
(a) "Unable to comprehend meaning in most issues."
(b) "Another self."
(c) "Inferior in every way."
(d) "Spirited, yet unrefined"
14. Which fictional children's character(s) is/are referred to in "The Poor and the Proletariat"?
(a) Bugs Bunny.
(b) Felix the Cat.
(c) Punch and Judy.
(d) Rocky and Bullwinkle.
15. What pop-culture icon is Garbo contrasted to in "The Face of Garbo"?
(a) Elizabeth Taylor.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Coco Chanel.
(d) Audrey Hepburn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, what is the destiny of the writers in the magazine article mentioned in "Novels and Children"?
2. What other alcoholic beverage is wine contrasted to in "Wine and Milk"?
3. "______ for Schelling." How is this quote from "The Brain of Einstein finished"?
4. Though the author says "Jet-Man," to what profession is it assumed he is referring?
5. What did Queen Frederika wear in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)