|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the author says criticism mustn't be in "Neither-Nor Criticism."
2. In "The Blue Guide," which of the following does the author not say "can have access to the pantheon of travel"?
3. What does the author say the readers of the magazine he speaks of are entitled to in "Ornamental Cooking"?
4. Which of the following is not a publication referred to by the author in "The Blue Guide"?
(d) Michelin Guide.
5. "Which phrase concludes "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
(a) "Which comes close to the infinite."
(b) "It constantly begets departure."
(c) "Can make man proceed from a psycho-analysis of the cave."
(d) "A genuine poetics of exploration."
6. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battle between good and evil in "The World of Wrestling"?
(a) American wrestling.
(b) British wrestling.
(c) French wrestling.
(d) Russian wrestling.
7. What is the associated social status of the referenced actor in "The Poor and the Proletariat"?
(a) Working class.
(b) Middle class.
(d) Working class and poor.
8. Which of the following is not an object mentioned in "The 'Blue Blood" Cruise"?
(a) No answers are correct.
9. What religious sect is referred to in "Novels and Children"?
(a) Hasidic Jews.
(b) Unitarian Universalists.
(d) Sunni Muslims.
10. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," what are Nautilus and Drunken Boat to one another?
11. Which of the following is not a phrase used to describe Einstein or his brain in "The Brain of Einstein"?
(a) "A true museum exhibit."
(b) "World of robots."
(d) "Bed of thorns."
12. The author makes the statement that a wrestler is ________ "in broad daylight and in the sight of all"?
13. Einstein died without having been able to what?
(a) "Dismantle the perplexities of humanity's plight through space."
(b) "Verify 'the equation in which the secret of the world was enclosed.'"
(c) "Open mankind's spirit to a new age of enlightenment."
(d) "Leave a legacy for comprehension of his unfinished work."
14. Who is the actor the author focuses on in "The Poor and the Proletariat"?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Marlon Brando.
(c) Clark Gable.
(d) Charlie Chaplin.
15. What river is referenced in the first sentence of "The Writer on Holiday?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the face of Valentino cause, as per "The Face of Garbo"?
2. Who does the author say would not "know" the Jet-Man?
3. Which of the following is not one of the things the author says of steak in "Steak and Chips"?
4. "Chips are ____ and ____ like steak." How is this quote finished from "Steak and Chips"?
5. What is on Einstein's head in the photograph where he is lying down in on a bed, referred to in "The Brain of Einstein"?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)