|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, which of the following is not a Gnostic theme within the safe of the universe that was almost opened by Einstein?
(a) "The ideal possibility of a fundamental reduction of the world."
(b) "The unfastening power of the word."
(c) "The unity of nature."
(d) "The metaphysical poetry of reality."
2. "Wine is here a part of the reason of _____." How is this quote from "Wine and Milk" finished?
3. The author makes the statement that a wrestler is ________ "in broad daylight and in the sight of all"?
4. How does the author refer to the magazine he writes of in "Ornamental Cooking"?
(a) "A pompous collection of reviews."
(b) "A highly valuable journal."
(c) "Pages that turn in parallel with the times in which we live."
(d) "Impossible recipes, absurd photographs."
5. Which of the following is not a title of an outside work referenced in "Operation Margarine"?
(a) "Medcin malgre lui."
(b) "The World and Defense."
(c) "The Living Room."
(d) "Les Cyclones."
6. Ultimately, what is the destiny of the writers in the magazine article mentioned in "Novels and Children"?
(a) Write for their children.
(b) Produce children.
(c) What what is best for their children.
(d) Write what is natural.
7. What time do the royals wake up to mock the working class in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 6 a.m.
8. What is the first sign of "The Romans in Films"?
(d) Skin color.
9. What other famous author does Barthes compare misunderstandings in language to in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
10. Who does the author compare wrestlers to in the final paragraph of "The World of Wrestling"?
11. Which of the following is not "a certain young novelists...liking" in "The Writer on Holiday"?
(a) Pretty girls.
(b) Reblochon cheese.
(c) Breakfast stouts.
12. What American mixture does the author perplex over in "Wine and Milk"?
(a) Wine and juice.
(b) Water and cucumber.
(c) Milk and chocolate.
(d) Milk and pomegranate.
13. In "Soap Powders and Detergents," what does the author argue that the "whiteness" promised by these cleaning products play towards?
(a) The naivety of consumers.
(b) The values of consumers.
(c) The aesthetics of consumers.
(d) The vanity of consumers.
14. "The storm, that is, the infinite, rages in ______." How is quote from "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat" finished?
15. The author sees toys as doing what to children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Garbo?
2. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battle between good and evil in "The World of Wrestling"?
3. Which of the following is not something the author says the ship grows past being in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
4. What does the author suggest is saintly about the Abbe Pierre?
5. Where does the author suggest holidays originate from?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)