|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first sign of "The Romans in Films"?
(c) Skin color.
2. What religious sect is referred to in "Novels and Children"?
(b) Unitarian Universalists.
(c) Hasidic Jews.
(d) Sunni Muslims.
3. What does the author claim is wine's power in "Wine and Milk"?
(a) Surrends the good of one for the benefit of all.
(b) Relaxes only to restore.
(c) Gives life to objects that use it properly.
(d) Extracts opposites from objects.
4. "Republicans are always 'extremists' looting _____." Finish this quote from "The Blue Guide."
5. According to the author in "Neither-Nor Criticism," which of the following isn't "heavy, defective words"?
6. Where does the author suggest holidays originate from?
(a) The Athenians.
(b) The school world.
(c) Biblical times.
(d) The judicial world.
7. What magazine is the reference point for "Ornamental Cooking"?
(a) Ornamental Cooking.
(b) Au Jus.
(d) Good Housekeeping.
8. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battles between character types in, "The World of Wrestling"?
(a) American wrestling.
(b) French wrestling.
(c) British wrestling.
(d) Russian wrestling.
9. The author argues that French toys "are meant to produce children who are users, not ____." How is this quote finished?
10. Which of the following is not a "type" of man according to the author in "The Blue Guide"?
(a) "Whimsical shop-keep."
(b) "Adventurous sailor."
(c) "Light-hearted gardener."
(d) "Clever tradesman."
11. Which of the following is not a dish the author mentions in the first paragraph of "Ornamental Cooking"?
(a) "Pink chicken chaud-froid."
(b) "Golden partridges studded with cherries."
(c) "Fresh steak carpaccio."
(d) "A frothy charlotte."
12. What does the author suggest is saintly about the Abbe Pierre?
(a) The clothing.
(b) The work.
(c) The haircut.
(d) The beard.
13. What river is referenced in the first sentence of "The Writer on Holiday?"
14. What is the name of the international meeting on soap mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
(a) The Universal Cleanser Alliance and Assembly.
(b) Word Detergent Congress.
(c) The World's Fair of Soaps and Body Cleaners.
(d) International Detergent, Soap, Cleanser and Cleaner Expo.
15. How is the following quote from "The World of Wrestling" finished: "the virtue of all-in wrestling is that it is the spectacle of _____."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say men could conceive of the heavens in "The Jet-Man"?
2. What does the ship become in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
3. Where was this meeting on soaps mentioned in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
4. What color are the pajamas mentioned in "The Writer on Holiday"?
5. What did Queen Frederika wear in "The 'Blue Blood' Cruise"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)