|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does the author say is used by "Neither-Nor" critics in a tone of "alacrity"?
2. What does the author claim is wine's power in "Wine and Milk"?
(a) Surrends the good of one for the benefit of all.
(b) Extracts opposites from objects.
(c) Gives life to objects that use it properly.
(d) Relaxes only to restore.
3. Which Roman character does the author point out has wild, unkempt hair?
4. What passion of children does Barthes compare the themes of the discussed author to in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
(a) Huts and tents.
(b) Streams and forests.
(c) Fields and games.
(d) Pirates and monsters.
5. Who is the inspiration for "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
(a) Jean-Paul Dominici.
(b) Gaston Dominci.
(c) Dominci Christ.
(d) Dominici Costello.
6. In "Steak and Chips," the author compares steak to what?
7. What other famous author does Barthes compare misunderstandings in language to in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
8. How does the author describe bleach products in "Soap Powders and Detergents"?
(a) Mass-sold poison.
(b) Liquid fire.
(c) Clothing tonic.
(d) Immediate chemical combustion.
9. How old is the subject of the trial in "Dominici, or the Triumph of Literature"?
10. Who is "the holiday" a product for?
(a) Blue collar workers.
(b) The bourgeoisie class.
(c) All people.
11. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battle between good and evil in "The World of Wrestling"?
(a) American wrestling.
(b) British wrestling.
(c) Russian wrestling.
(d) French wrestling.
12. What does the writing of the author under discussion in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat" most typically explore?
(c) Mystery in what is typical.
13. With what quote does "Neither-Nor Critcism" conclude?
(a) "Literature has entered a situation which is difficult, restricted, mortal."
(b) "I rather fear that the new Neither-Nor critcism is one season behind."
(c) "It can even be said it is when man proclaims his primal liberty that his subordination is least disputable."
(d) "And yet, nothing can escape being put into question by History; not even good writing."
14. What film is mentioned in the first paragraph of "The Romans in Films"?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(d) Julius Caesar.
15. In the opening sentence of "The Brain of Einstein," the author states that Einstein's brain is what sort of object?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is a writer's holiday different from another tradesman according to the author in "The Writer on Holiday"?
2. How is the following quote from "The World of Wrestling" finished: "the virtue of all-in wrestling is that it is the spectacle of _____."
3. What color are the pajamas mentioned in "The Writer on Holiday"?
4. What sort of wrestling does the author define as portraying the ongoing battles between character types in, "The World of Wrestling"?
5. Which of the following is NOT something the author says criticism mustn't be in "Neither-Nor Criticism."
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)