|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Soap Powders and Detergents," what does the author argue that the "whiteness" promised by these cleaning products play towards?
(a) The aesthetics of consumers.
(b) The vanity of consumers.
(c) The naivety of consumers.
(d) The values of consumers.
2. "The storm, that is, the infinite, rages in ______." How is quote from "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat" finished?
3. What film is mentioned in the first paragraph of "The Romans in Films"?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) The Ten Commandments.
4. Which Roman character does the author point out has wild, unkempt hair?
5. What is on Einstein's head in the photograph where he is lying down in on a bed, referred to in "The Brain of Einstein"?
(a) Electric wires.
(c) A hat.
(d) A scarf.
6. The author makes the statement that a wrestler is ________ "in broad daylight and in the sight of all"?
7. Which of the following is not a title of an outside work referenced in "Operation Margarine"?
(a) "The Living Room."
(b) "Medcin malgre lui."
(c) "The World and Defense."
(d) "Les Cyclones."
8. As said in "Wine and Milk," wine is to the French as what is to the Dutch?
(a) "The milk of the chocolate."
(b) "The milk of the mother."
(c) "The milk of the cow."
(d) "The milk of the farm."
9. Which king is compared to writers in "The Writer on Holiday"?
(a) Henry IV.
(b) Richard II.
(c) Edward III.
(d) Louis XIV.
10. The author argues that French toys "are meant to produce children who are users, not ____." How is this quote finished?
11. Which of the following is not something the author says the ship grows past being in "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat"?
(a) An object that is used.
(b) A box.
(c) A habitat.
(d) An object that is owned.
12. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," what are most ships in legend of fiction?
(a) "Necessity to dreams."
(b) "Enjoyed vessels."
(c) "Round, smooth universe."
(d) "Painful objects of captivity."
13. In the opening sentence of "The Brain of Einstein," the author states that Einstein's brain is what sort of object?
14. "Republicans are always 'extremists' looting _____." Finish this quote from "The Blue Guide."
15. What magazine is the reference point for "Ornamental Cooking"?
(a) Au Jus.
(b) Good Housekeeping.
(c) Ornamental Cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe how fast "the Jet-Man" travels?
2. What does the author suggest is saintly about the Abbe Pierre?
3. In "The Nautilus and the Drunken Boat," what are Nautilus and Drunken Boat to one another?
4. Which of the following is not a "type" of man according to the author in "The Blue Guide"?
5. Who is the actor the author focuses on in "The Poor and the Proletariat"?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)