|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote an essay saying the woman of the future will know nothing of mystery or manners?
(a) Henry James.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) Graham Greene.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. Who responds to a symposium on the subject of the lack of Catholic writers by saying "A Catholic, if he is devout, i.e., sold on the authority of his Church, is also brain-washed, whether he realizes it or not"?
(a) Steve Spence.
(b) Tom Duepner.
(c) Brian McCarthy.
(d) Philip Wylie.
3. What Catholic author wrote about Catholics who are vulgar, ignorant, and greedy?
(a) Paul Hamilton Hayne,
(b) Henry Timrod.
(c) J. F. Powers.
(d) Walker Percy.
4. What kind of answers do Catholics abide by?
5. In what month did O'Connor present materials from "The Church and the Fiction Writer" during a talk at a college?
6. Who does O'Connor believe should do the evangelizing?
7. What does O'Connor say one should do if they want topics?
(a) Listen to the radio.
(b) Read a work of fiction.
(c) Read a newspaper.
(d) Read a biography.
8. Which Steinbeck novel in O'Connor's examples did parents seem to object to?
(a) East of Eden.
(b) Tortilla Flats.
(c) Of Mice and Men.
(d) Cannery Row.
9. What writer does O'Connor say is an exception to the fact that Southern writers are not successfully cosmopolitan in fiction?
(a) Lewis Nordan.
(b) Katherine Anne Porter.
(c) Winston Groom.
(d) Richard Ford.
10. What does the Catholic reader separate nature from?
11. Who said art does not necessitate restrictions?
(a) Saint Ignatius Loyola.
(b) Saint John Bosco.
(c) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
(d) Saint Gerard Majella.
12. Who does O'Connor say acts as a middleman between readers and writers?
13. O'Connor knew an English teacher who asked students what the moral is to what novel?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) The Scarlet Letter.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
14. What does O'Connor think English teachers can help change?
(a) The best-seller list.
(b) The education systems in third world countries.
(c) The rate of high school drop outs.
(d) The number of college students who have all A's.
15. What book does O'Connor say is not well written but the author should not be judged by his intent?
(a) The Foundling.
(b) Surrender of an Empire.
(c) Redeemer in the Womb.
(d) The Precious Blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does O'Connor mention wrestles with an angel in the Bible?
2. What family member of O'Connor's reviewed her novel for her high school class?
3. Which character in fiction is usually disturbing to the reader?
4. For a writer of fiction, everything has its testing point in what body part?
5. What is the nickname for the South?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)