|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was Colonel Eggbert?
2. What does O'Connor say is a word that sounds good in anyone's mouth that no book jacket can do without?
3. How many sections does the story "Summer Dust" have?
4. O'Connor says belief in what is a hindrance to writers?
(a) The American dream.
(b) Good and evil.
(d) Christian dogma.
5. What award did Percy Walker win?
(a) National Book Award.
(b) National Novelist Award.
(c) Regional Book Prize.
(d) Georgia Writers Grant.
6. What does O'Connor say that most people interested in writing are not interested in?
(a) Making money.
(b) Getting famous.
(c) Writing for fun.
(d) Writing well.
7. Henry James gave negative criticism by telling the writer that they have treated good subject manner in what kind of manner?
8. What does O'Connor say the serious writer is interested in?
(a) The habit of art.
(b) Pleasing the reader.
(c) Getting outside of their comfort zone.
(d) Studying and learning.
9. In what magazine did O'Connor read an editorial challenging her and other writers?
(c) Southern Living.
10. What did the magazine editorial that challenged American writers say literature lacks?
(a) Supernatural elements.
(d) The joy of life.
11. Where was the photographer from who visited O'Connor at her home?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
12. O'Connor became frustrated because the writing students she addressed were looking for what?
(a) A formula.
(c) To copy the British.
(d) A mentor.
13. Thomas Mann said that the grotesque is what style?
14. What does O'Connor say a writer needs but cannot get from a writing class?
(c) An epiphany.
15. What did O'Connor feel like when she heard about The School Southern Degeneracy?
(a) The Velvetine Rabbit.
(b) The White Rabbit.
(c) Br'er Rabbit.
(d) Peter Rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long did the telephone repairman wait to see a peacock strut?
2. What author said that he writes romances, not novels?
3. Who does O'Connor believe truly speaks for the country?
4. Students from what university created a pamphlet in the 1920s?
5. University students in the 1920s created a pamphlet with what title?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)