|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) He wants to be with her for eternity
(b) She angers him
(c) He has had contempt for her for years
(d) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
2. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
(a) To earn extra money
(b) To sew for her marriage
(c) To plan her wedding
(d) To ask for marital advice
3. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
4. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
(a) Antonia asks him to stop attending the dances.
(b) He does not enjoy the dances.
(c) He is embarrassed after kissing Antonia.
(d) His grandmother believes the dances are disgraceful.
5. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
6. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(b) His grandmother
7. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
(a) A May basket
(b) A playhouse
(c) A toy
(d) A doll
8. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At his grandparents' old farm
(b) At Antonia's farm
(c) In Black Hawk
(d) In the pastures
9. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) His grandparents no longer live there.
(b) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
(c) The town is desolate and run down.
(d) Few of his old friends recognize him.
10. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
(a) She passed away.
(b) She went to live with her father.
(c) She is now married.
(d) She still lives with Antonia and her family.
11. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) Life on his grandparents' farm
(b) Mr. Shimerda's death
(c) His love for Antonia
(d) His inadequate public school education
12. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
(a) He kisses Antonia.
(b) He asks Antonia to stay with her family.
(c) He tells Antonia he is leaving his wife.
(d) He places a box of silver and papers under Antonia's bed.
13. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
(b) They are both shocked by its content.
(c) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(d) They both cry at the end of the play.
14. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
(b) A silk umbrella
(c) A book
(d) A watch
15. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(b) Her father and Jim
(d) Her father
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
2. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
3. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
4. How does Wick Cutter react when he finds Jim in his home?
5. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)