|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
(a) He left her with a baby.
(b) Larry Donovan died.
(c) Antonia left Donovan because he was unfaithful.
(d) He refused to marry her.
2. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) Mr. Shimerda's death
(b) His inadequate public school education
(c) Life on his grandparents' farm
(d) His love for Antonia
3. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Record their family stories
(b) Write their wills
(c) Have their picture taken
(d) Take his picture
4. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(b) His blessing
(d) Family heirlooms
5. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(c) He has no intentions.
6. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
(a) The farm land
(b) His past
(d) The city
7. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
(a) They admire his devotion to his job and family.
(b) They are wary of his affections.
(c) They are put off by his aloofness.
(d) They are attracted to and sympathetic to him.
8. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) She angers him
(b) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
(c) He has had contempt for her for years
(d) He wants to be with her for eternity
9. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
(a) She went to live with her father.
(b) She still lives with Antonia and her family.
(c) She is now married.
(d) She passed away.
10. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
(a) Mr. Shimerda's grave site
(b) The river
(c) The spot where Jim killed the rattlesnake
(d) The Burdens' old farm
11. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Two lovers who die
(b) Two starcrossed lovers
(c) Unrequited love
(d) Two lovers who quarrel
12. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(a) Jim's grandmother
(b) Mrs. Harling
(c) His wife
13. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At the Harlings' home
(b) At the Cutter's home
(c) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
(d) At her dress shop in Lincoln
14. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are both shocked by its content.
(b) They both cry at the end of the play.
(c) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(d) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
15. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He keeps him company.
(b) He teaches him Greek.
(c) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(d) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
2. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
3. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
4. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
5. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)