|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
(a) Two of Antonia's sons
(c) Antonia's grandsons
2. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
(a) The farm land
(c) His past
(d) The city
3. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
(a) City girls
(c) Country girls
(d) Small towns
4. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The harvest of the wheat fields
(b) The planting of the wheat fields
(c) The threshing of the wheat fields
(d) The baling of hay
5. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) Russian Peter
(d) Gaston Cleric
6. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) The town is desolate and run down.
(b) His grandparents no longer live there.
(c) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(d) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
7. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
(a) The worst days are the first to flee.
(b) Beauty comes to small towns.
(c) The best days are the first to flee.
(d) I shall be the first to bring the Muse to my country.
8. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
(a) Wick Cutter
(b) Mr. Harling
(c) Jim's grandfather
9. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
(b) His children
10. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(a) Mrs. Harling
(b) Jim's grandmother
(c) His wife
11. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
(a) Attending dances and having a social life
(b) Making money
(c) Mr. Cutter's comfort
(d) Living a moral life
12. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) His wife
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) Fear at seeing her changed
13. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
(a) A book
(c) A watch
(d) A silk umbrella
14. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(b) They both revere small towns.
(c) They are both poets.
(d) They both speak Greek.
15. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(b) His blessing
(d) Family heirlooms
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
2. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
3. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
4. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
5. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)