|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
(a) The house is in disarray.
(b) Antonia's belongings are missing.
(c) Wick Cutter is burning papers.
(d) Wick Cutter's is dead.
2. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(b) It went to Heaven.
(c) It is in limbo.
(d) It returned to Bohemia.
3. Which of the following is not something Jim notices about Antonia when he goes to visit her in this chapter?
(a) She looks tired.
(b) She is much thinner.
(c) She is quiet and reserved.
(d) She has color and health in her face.
4. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
5. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Russian Peter
(c) Gaston Cleric
6. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
(a) A Spanish sword found in the area
(b) Spanish coins found in the area
(c) The presence of the Spanish language
(d) Spanish horses.
7. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
(a) He is a talented writer.
(b) He knows all of the classic works of literature.
(c) He speaks poetically when excited.
(d) He is well versed in Greek.
8. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(b) He is cool and distant.
(c) He complains about his life choices.
(d) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
9. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Have their picture taken
(b) Write their wills
(c) Record their family stories
(d) Take his picture
10. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
(b) They can both take classes at Harvard.
(c) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
(d) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
11. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
(a) He needs to marry a country girl.
(b) He is too focused on his studies.
(c) He is in love with Antonia.
(d) He is too romantic.
12. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
(a) To support Antonia
(b) To be kind to Antonia's baby
(c) To never speak to her again
(d) To raise Antonia's baby as his own
13. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) In a hotel
(b) With Gaston Cleric
(c) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(d) With his grandparents
14. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) His wife
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) Fear at seeing her changed
15. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) They attended a dance together.
(b) Her father worked for her mother's family.
(c) They attended the same church.
(d) Her mother worked for her father's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
2. Who proposes to Lena several times?
3. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
4. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
5. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)