|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
(a) They admire his devotion to his job and family.
(b) They are attracted to and sympathetic to him.
(c) They are put off by his aloofness.
(d) They are wary of his affections.
2. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(a) His wife
(b) Mrs. Harling
(c) Jim's grandmother
3. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
(b) She does not want to upset him.
(c) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(d) She does not believe in civil marriage.
4. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
(b) Two of Antonia's sons
(c) Antonia's daughter
(d) Antonia's husband
5. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
(a) He speaks Swedish.
(b) He loans money without interest
(c) He regularly makes donations to the Protestant church.
(d) He is from Scandanavia.
6. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
(a) Peaceful and contented
(b) Anxious and unsettled
(c) Excited and alive
(d) Confused and frustrated
7. Who proposes to Lena several times?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(c) The Polish violin teacher
(d) Colonel Raleigh
8. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To visit Jim's grandparents
(b) To the market
(c) To a carnival
(d) To a theatre show
9. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
(a) Jim's grandfather
(b) Mr. Harling
(c) Wick Cutter
10. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(b) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(c) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
11. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(a) Her father
(d) Her father and Jim
12. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Two starcrossed lovers
(b) Unrequited love
(c) Two lovers who quarrel
(d) Two lovers who die
13. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
(a) Keeping her father's spirit alive
(b) Keeping the family farm going
(c) Maintaining her cultural heritage
(d) Caring for her daughter
14. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both revere small towns.
(b) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(c) They are both poets.
(d) They both speak Greek.
15. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At the Harlings' home
(b) At her dress shop in Lincoln
(c) At the Cutter's home
(d) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
2. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
3. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
4. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
5. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)