|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The threshing of the wheat fields
(b) The harvest of the wheat fields
(c) The baling of hay
(d) The planting of the wheat fields
2. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
(a) Making money
(b) Living a moral life
(c) Mr. Cutter's comfort
(d) Attending dances and having a social life
3. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Unrequited love
(b) Two lovers who quarrel
(c) Two lovers who die
(d) Two starcrossed lovers
4. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She is uncomfortable.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is delighted.
5. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He teaches him Greek.
(b) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(c) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(d) He keeps him company.
6. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(a) Her father
(c) Her father and Jim
7. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
(b) His grandmother
(d) His wife
8. With whom is Wick Cutter constantly in conflict?
(a) His wife
(c) Grandfather Burden
(d) Mrs. Shimerda
9. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(a) His grandmother
10. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) He is not willing to marry her.
(b) He is in love with another woman.
(c) They must move to Denver.
(d) They must move to Lincoln.
11. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(b) Salt Lake City
(c) San Francisco
(d) Black Hawk
12. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At Antonia's farm
(b) At his grandparents' old farm
(c) In Black Hawk
(d) In the pastures
13. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
(a) He will never forget her.
(b) He will visit her again.
(c) He will marry her someday.
(d) He will return to Black Hawk to live.
14. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
15. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) The town is desolate and run down.
(b) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(c) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
(d) His grandparents no longer live there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
2. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
3. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
4. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
5. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)