|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tiny make her fortune?
(a) She inherits it from her parents.
(b) Her hotel is wildly successful.
(c) A patron at her hotel deeds his fortune to her.
(d) She marries a rich man.
2. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
(a) To start a new life
(b) To attend a university
(c) To recover from a health issue
(d) To study Greek
3. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
(a) He will return to Black Hawk to live.
(b) He will never forget her.
(c) He will marry her someday.
(d) He will visit her again.
4. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(b) His grandmother
5. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It is in limbo.
(b) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(c) It went to Heaven.
(d) It returned to Bohemia.
6. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The baling of hay
(b) The planting of the wheat fields
(c) The harvest of the wheat fields
(d) The threshing of the wheat fields
7. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) His wife
(d) Fear that she will reject him
8. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Wick's infidelity
(b) The fate of their property after their deaths
(c) Their differing personalities
(d) Wick's obsession with Antonia
9. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
10. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) They must move to Denver.
(b) They must move to Lincoln.
(c) He is not willing to marry her.
(d) He is in love with another woman.
11. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
(a) Excited and alive
(b) Confused and frustrated
(c) Anxious and unsettled
(d) Peaceful and contented
12. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At the Harlings' home
(b) At the Cutter's home
(c) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
(d) At her dress shop in Lincoln
13. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
(b) Larry Donovan
(c) Anton Jelinek
(d) Anton Jelinek's cousin
14. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(c) Family heirlooms
(d) His blessing
15. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Black Hawk
(d) Salt Lake City
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Jim notices about Antonia when he goes to visit her in this chapter?
2. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
3. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
4. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
5. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)