|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) Life on his grandparents' farm
(b) His love for Antonia
(c) Mr. Shimerda's death
(d) His inadequate public school education
2. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) His wife
3. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both speak Greek.
(b) They are both poets.
(c) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(d) They both revere small towns.
4. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
(a) Antonia's husband
(b) Two of Antonia's sons
(c) Antonia's daughter
5. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are both shocked by its content.
(b) They both cry at the end of the play.
(c) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(d) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
6. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He complains about his life choices.
(b) He is cool and distant.
(c) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(d) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
7. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(b) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(c) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
(d) She does not want to upset him.
8. What news that Lena shares with Jim about Antonia shocks him the most?
(a) Her fading beauty
(b) Her new employment position
(c) Her change in attitude
(d) Her engagement to Larry Donovan
9. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(b) Family heirlooms
(d) His blessing
10. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
(c) Antonia's grandsons
(d) Two of Antonia's sons
11. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
12. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
(b) Gaston Cleric
(c) His grandparents
(d) The Polish violin teacher
13. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It is in limbo.
(b) It went to Heaven.
(c) It returned to Bohemia.
(d) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
14. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(b) In a hotel
(c) With Gaston Cleric
(d) With his grandparents
15. What did Wick Cutter do to trick his wife?
(a) He left her in Omaha.
(b) He gave the deed to their house to Antonia.
(c) He put her on the wrong train home.
(d) He ran away with their possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
2. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
3. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
4. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
5. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)