|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(c) His grandmother
2. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(b) They both speak Greek.
(c) They are both poets.
(d) They both revere small towns.
3. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Record their family stories
(b) Have their picture taken
(c) Write their wills
(d) Take his picture
4. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) She angers him
(b) He wants to be with her for eternity
(c) He has had contempt for her for years
(d) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
5. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
(a) Antonia's grandsons
(c) Two of Antonia's sons
6. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
7. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(b) He complains about his life choices.
(c) He is cool and distant.
(d) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
8. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Their differing personalities
(b) Wick's obsession with Antonia
(c) The fate of their property after their deaths
(d) Wick's infidelity
9. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(b) The town is desolate and run down.
(c) His grandparents no longer live there.
(d) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
10. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(b) They are unaware of the dances.
(c) They do not approve of the dances.
(d) They believe the dances are harmless.
11. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At the Harlings' home
(b) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
(c) At the Cutter's home
(d) At her dress shop in Lincoln
12. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
(a) A doll
(b) A May basket
(c) A toy
(d) A playhouse
13. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
(a) Spanish coins found in the area
(b) A Spanish sword found in the area
(c) Spanish horses.
(d) The presence of the Spanish language
14. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
15. Who does Jim see a photograph of while waiting for his grandparents?
(a) The Shimerdas
(c) Antonia's baby
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
2. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
3. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
4. Who appears at Jim's door as he is contemplating Virgil's words?
5. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)