|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
2. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
(a) His grandparents
(b) Gaston Cleric
(d) The Polish violin teacher
3. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) They attended a dance together.
(b) They attended the same church.
(c) Her father worked for her mother's family.
(d) Her mother worked for her father's family.
4. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
(a) His past
(b) The farm land
(c) The city
5. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
6. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) With his grandparents
(b) In a hotel
(c) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(d) With Gaston Cleric
7. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
(a) The worst days are the first to flee.
(b) I shall be the first to bring the Muse to my country.
(c) The best days are the first to flee.
(d) Beauty comes to small towns.
8. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
(a) A Spanish sword found in the area
(b) The presence of the Spanish language
(c) Spanish horses.
(d) Spanish coins found in the area
9. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Record their family stories
(b) Write their wills
(c) Have their picture taken
(d) Take his picture
10. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
(a) Wick Cutter's is dead.
(b) Antonia's belongings are missing.
(c) Wick Cutter is burning papers.
(d) The house is in disarray.
11. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She does not want to upset him.
(b) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
(c) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(d) She does not believe in civil marriage.
12. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
(a) He is a talented writer.
(b) He is well versed in Greek.
(c) He speaks poetically when excited.
(d) He knows all of the classic works of literature.
13. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It returned to Bohemia.
(b) It is in limbo.
(c) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(d) It went to Heaven.
14. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) In the pastures
(b) In Black Hawk
(c) At Antonia's farm
(d) At his grandparents' old farm
15. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
(a) She still lives with Antonia and her family.
(b) She went to live with her father.
(c) She passed away.
(d) She is now married.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
2. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
3. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
4. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
5. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)