|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
(a) I shall be the first to bring the Muse to my country.
(b) Beauty comes to small towns.
(c) The worst days are the first to flee.
(d) The best days are the first to flee.
2. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
(a) A May basket
(b) A playhouse
(c) A toy
(d) A doll
3. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
(a) To raise Antonia's baby as his own
(b) To never speak to her again
(c) To support Antonia
(d) To be kind to Antonia's baby
4. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
(a) Black Hawk
(c) New York City
(d) San Francisco
5. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
(a) To recover from a health issue
(b) To study Greek
(c) To attend a university
(d) To start a new life
6. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) Life on his grandparents' farm
(b) His inadequate public school education
(c) Mr. Shimerda's death
(d) His love for Antonia
7. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
(a) The Road to the Country
(b) The Road to the Future
(c) The Road to Destiny
(d) The Road to Peace
8. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Their differing personalities
(b) Wick's obsession with Antonia
(c) The fate of their property after their deaths
(d) Wick's infidelity
9. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(b) They are both shocked by its content.
(c) They both cry at the end of the play.
(d) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
10. Who appears at Jim's door as he is contemplating Virgil's words?
(a) Larry Donovan
(c) Lena Linguard
(d) Gaston Cleric
11. How many years pass before Jim visits Antonia again?
(a) 2 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 50 years
12. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
(b) They can both take classes at Harvard.
(c) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
(d) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
13. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
14. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(b) He keeps him company.
(c) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(d) He teaches him Greek.
15. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
(b) Antonia's husband
(c) Two of Antonia's sons
(d) Antonia's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
2. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
3. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
4. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
5. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)