|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
(b) At the Cutter's home
(c) At the Harlings' home
(d) At her dress shop in Lincoln
2. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) They must move to Lincoln.
(b) He is in love with another woman.
(c) He is not willing to marry her.
(d) They must move to Denver.
3. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
(a) The best days are the first to flee.
(b) Beauty comes to small towns.
(c) I shall be the first to bring the Muse to my country.
(d) The worst days are the first to flee.
4. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
(b) Two of Antonia's sons
(d) Antonia's grandsons
5. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
6. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) His wife
7. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(b) He complains about his life choices.
(c) He is cool and distant.
(d) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
8. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(b) With his grandparents
(c) In a hotel
(d) With Gaston Cleric
9. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(d) He has no intentions.
10. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(c) Family heirlooms
(d) His blessing
11. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(c) Jim's grandfather
12. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At his grandparents' old farm
(b) In the pastures
(c) In Black Hawk
(d) At Antonia's farm
13. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She does not want to upset him.
(b) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(c) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(d) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
14. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
(c) The country
(d) The past
15. Which of the following is not something Jim notices about Antonia when he goes to visit her in this chapter?
(a) She has color and health in her face.
(b) She is quiet and reserved.
(c) She looks tired.
(d) She is much thinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
2. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
3. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
4. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
5. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)