|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposes to Lena several times?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(b) The Polish violin teacher
(d) Colonel Raleigh
2. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
(a) The Road to the Future
(b) The Road to Peace
(c) The Road to the Country
(d) The Road to Destiny
3. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) He is not willing to marry her.
(b) He is in love with another woman.
(c) They must move to Lincoln.
(d) They must move to Denver.
4. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) His grandparents no longer live there.
(b) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
(c) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(d) The town is desolate and run down.
5. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
(a) Keeping her father's spirit alive
(b) Keeping the family farm going
(c) Caring for her daughter
(d) Maintaining her cultural heritage
6. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
(a) Wick Cutter's is dead.
(b) Wick Cutter is burning papers.
(c) The house is in disarray.
(d) Antonia's belongings are missing.
7. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both revere small towns.
(b) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(c) They are both poets.
(d) They both speak Greek.
8. What does Jim find as an unusual trait in Cuzak?
(a) He rarely smiles.
(b) He and Antonia get along very well.
(c) He only speaks Bohemian.
(d) He looks at people sideways.
9. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
(a) To study Greek
(b) To recover from a health issue
(c) To attend a university
(d) To start a new life
10. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are both shocked by its content.
(b) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
(c) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(d) They both cry at the end of the play.
11. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Record their family stories
(b) Have their picture taken
(c) Take his picture
(d) Write their wills
12. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
(a) He kisses Antonia.
(b) He places a box of silver and papers under Antonia's bed.
(c) He tells Antonia he is leaving his wife.
(d) He asks Antonia to stay with her family.
13. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
(a) He speaks Swedish.
(b) He loans money without interest
(c) He is from Scandanavia.
(d) He regularly makes donations to the Protestant church.
14. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Wick's obsession with Antonia
(b) The fate of their property after their deaths
(c) Wick's infidelity
(d) Their differing personalities
15. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) She angers him
(b) He has had contempt for her for years
(c) He wants to be with her for eternity
(d) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
2. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
3. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
4. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
5. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)