|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They believe the dances are harmless.
(b) They are unaware of the dances.
(c) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(d) They do not approve of the dances.
2. With whom is Wick Cutter constantly in conflict?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
(c) His wife
(d) Grandfather Burden
3. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To a carnival
(b) To visit Jim's grandparents
(c) To the market
(d) To a theatre show
4. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
(a) As young and beautiful
(b) As old and overly dramatic
(c) As romantic and sultry
(d) As accurate and compelling
5. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
(a) His grandparents
(b) The Harlings
(c) Mr. Shimerda
6. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
7. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Unrequited love
(b) Two lovers who quarrel
(c) Two starcrossed lovers
(d) Two lovers who die
8. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
(a) He will return to Black Hawk to live.
(b) He will marry her someday.
(c) He will never forget her.
(d) He will visit her again.
9. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(b) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
10. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
11. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) He wants to be with her for eternity
(b) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
(c) He has had contempt for her for years
(d) She angers him
12. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(b) His grandmother
13. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
(a) She was shy and withdrawn.
(b) She was difficult to get along with.
(c) She was beautiful and well liked.
(d) She had a wild spirit.
14. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
(b) The country
(c) The past
15. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
(b) Antonia's husband
(c) Two of Antonia's sons
(d) Antonia's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
2. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
3. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
4. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
5. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)