|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) His wife
(b) Fear at seeing her changed
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) Preoccupation with his career
2. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(a) New York City
(c) Black Hawk
3. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The baling of hay
(b) The harvest of the wheat fields
(c) The planting of the wheat fields
(d) The threshing of the wheat fields
4. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) In a hotel
(b) With his grandparents
(c) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(d) With Gaston Cleric
5. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She is delighted.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is uncomfortable.
(d) She becomes angry.
6. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
(b) Anton Jelinek's cousin
(c) Anton Jelinek
(d) Larry Donovan
7. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To a theatre show
(b) To visit Jim's grandparents
(c) To the market
(d) To a carnival
8. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is cool and distant.
(b) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
(c) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(d) He complains about his life choices.
9. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Take his picture
(b) Write their wills
(c) Record their family stories
(d) Have their picture taken
10. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It went to Heaven.
(b) It is in limbo.
(c) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(d) It returned to Bohemia.
11. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
(a) Mr. Shimerda's grave site
(b) The Burdens' old farm
(c) The spot where Jim killed the rattlesnake
(d) The river
12. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(c) His grandmother
13. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
(a) I shall be the first to bring the Muse to my country.
(b) The best days are the first to flee.
(c) The worst days are the first to flee.
(d) Beauty comes to small towns.
14. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
(a) She had a wild spirit.
(b) She was beautiful and well liked.
(c) She was difficult to get along with.
(d) She was shy and withdrawn.
15. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
2. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
3. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
4. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
5. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)