|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
(a) As accurate and compelling
(b) As old and overly dramatic
(c) As romantic and sultry
(d) As young and beautiful
2. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
(b) His grandparents no longer live there.
(c) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(d) The town is desolate and run down.
3. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
(a) He is too romantic.
(b) He is in love with Antonia.
(c) He is too focused on his studies.
(d) He needs to marry a country girl.
4. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
(b) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(c) They are both shocked by its content.
(d) They both cry at the end of the play.
5. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) They must move to Lincoln.
(b) He is not willing to marry her.
(c) They must move to Denver.
(d) He is in love with another woman.
6. How does Tiny make her fortune?
(a) A patron at her hotel deeds his fortune to her.
(b) She marries a rich man.
(c) Her hotel is wildly successful.
(d) She inherits it from her parents.
7. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He keeps him company.
(b) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(c) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(d) He teaches him Greek.
8. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
(c) His children
9. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(c) He has no intentions.
10. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(b) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(c) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
(d) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
11. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
(a) He asks Antonia to stay with her family.
(b) He places a box of silver and papers under Antonia's bed.
(c) He tells Antonia he is leaving his wife.
(d) He kisses Antonia.
12. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
(a) She still lives with Antonia and her family.
(b) She went to live with her father.
(c) She passed away.
(d) She is now married.
13. What news that Lena shares with Jim about Antonia shocks him the most?
(a) Her fading beauty
(b) Her new employment position
(c) Her engagement to Larry Donovan
(d) Her change in attitude
14. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Black Hawk
(c) New York City
15. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
(a) He refused to marry her.
(b) He left her with a baby.
(c) Larry Donovan died.
(d) Antonia left Donovan because he was unfaithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
2. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
3. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
4. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
5. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)