|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
(a) Anxious and unsettled
(b) Peaceful and contented
(c) Confused and frustrated
(d) Excited and alive
2. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(a) Jim's grandmother
(b) His wife
(c) Mrs. Harling
3. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(b) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
4. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both speak Greek.
(b) They both revere small towns.
(c) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(d) They are both poets.
5. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
(a) She was shy and withdrawn.
(b) She had a wild spirit.
(c) She was difficult to get along with.
(d) She was beautiful and well liked.
6. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(a) He has no intentions.
7. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(c) His grandmother
8. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
9. How does Wick Cutter react when he finds Jim in his home?
(a) He beats him.
(b) He knows Jim is trying to protect Antonia.
(c) He throws him out of the house.
(d) He demands to see Antonia.
10. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(b) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
(c) She does not want to upset him.
(d) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
11. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(a) New York City
(d) Black Hawk
12. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
(a) City girls
(b) Country girls
(d) Small towns
13. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
(a) To visit the Shimerdas
(b) To visit friends in Virginia
(c) To visit Mr. Shimerda's grave
(d) To collect elder with Antonia and her friends
14. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) Her father worked for her mother's family.
(b) They attended the same church.
(c) They attended a dance together.
(d) Her mother worked for her father's family.
15. What did Wick Cutter do to trick his wife?
(a) He put her on the wrong train home.
(b) He ran away with their possessions.
(c) He left her in Omaha.
(d) He gave the deed to their house to Antonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
2. How does Tiny make her fortune?
3. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
4. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
5. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)