|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
(b) Antonia's husband
(c) Antonia's daughter
(d) Two of Antonia's sons
2. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
(a) He loans money without interest
(b) He is from Scandanavia.
(c) He speaks Swedish.
(d) He regularly makes donations to the Protestant church.
3. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(a) Black Hawk
(c) New York City
4. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
(a) To raise Antonia's baby as his own
(b) To be kind to Antonia's baby
(c) To never speak to her again
(d) To support Antonia
5. Who does Jim see a photograph of while waiting for his grandparents?
(c) The Shimerdas
(d) Antonia's baby
6. How does Tiny make her fortune?
(a) A patron at her hotel deeds his fortune to her.
(b) She marries a rich man.
(c) Her hotel is wildly successful.
(d) She inherits it from her parents.
7. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
(a) He needs to marry a country girl.
(b) He is too romantic.
(c) He is too focused on his studies.
(d) He is in love with Antonia.
8. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Russian Peter
(c) Gaston Cleric
9. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
(a) Maintaining her cultural heritage
(b) Keeping her father's spirit alive
(c) Keeping the family farm going
(d) Caring for her daughter
10. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
(a) Larry Donovan died.
(b) He left her with a baby.
(c) Antonia left Donovan because he was unfaithful.
(d) He refused to marry her.
11. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(b) He keeps him company.
(c) He teaches him Greek.
(d) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
12. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(b) They are both shocked by its content.
(c) They both cry at the end of the play.
(d) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
13. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
(a) Wick Cutter is burning papers.
(b) The house is in disarray.
(c) Wick Cutter's is dead.
(d) Antonia's belongings are missing.
14. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
(a) He places a box of silver and papers under Antonia's bed.
(b) He kisses Antonia.
(c) He asks Antonia to stay with her family.
(d) He tells Antonia he is leaving his wife.
15. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) In the pastures
(b) At Antonia's farm
(c) At his grandparents' old farm
(d) In Black Hawk
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
2. How many years pass before Jim visits Antonia again?
3. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
4. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
5. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)