|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
(a) To dinner
(b) On long walks
(c) To theatre shows
(d) To Lena's dress shop
2. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
(a) As romantic and sultry
(b) As old and overly dramatic
(c) As accurate and compelling
(d) As young and beautiful
3. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Russian Peter
(d) Gaston Cleric
4. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) His wife
(b) Fear at seeing her changed
(c) Fear that she will reject him
(d) Preoccupation with his career
5. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
(a) At her dress shop in Lincoln
(b) At the Cutter's home
(c) At Mrs. Gardener's hotel
(d) At the Harlings' home
6. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At Antonia's farm
(b) In Black Hawk
(c) At his grandparents' old farm
(d) In the pastures
7. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) The fate of their property after their deaths
(b) Wick's infidelity
(c) Wick's obsession with Antonia
(d) Their differing personalities
8. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It is in limbo.
(b) It returned to Bohemia.
(c) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(d) It went to Heaven.
9. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She is delighted.
(b) She is uncomfortable.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is confused.
10. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
(a) The Road to Destiny
(b) The Road to the Future
(c) The Road to Peace
(d) The Road to the Country
11. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
(a) He is not willing to marry her.
(b) He is in love with another woman.
(c) They must move to Denver.
(d) They must move to Lincoln.
12. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
13. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
(b) The past
(d) The country
14. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(b) She does not want to upset him.
(c) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(d) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
15. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Have their picture taken
(b) Take his picture
(c) Record their family stories
(d) Write their wills
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
2. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
3. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
4. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
5. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)