|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
2. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is uncomfortable.
3. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
(a) To recover from a health issue
(b) To study Greek
(c) To start a new life
(d) To attend a university
4. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(b) New York City
(c) Black Hawk
5. Which of the following is not something Jim notices about Antonia when he goes to visit her in this chapter?
(a) She is much thinner.
(b) She has color and health in her face.
(c) She looks tired.
(d) She is quiet and reserved.
6. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) His wife
(d) Fear that she will reject him
7. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) They attended a dance together.
(b) Her father worked for her mother's family.
(c) They attended the same church.
(d) Her mother worked for her father's family.
8. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
(a) Mrs. Steavens
(b) His grandmother
9. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
10. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
(a) He places a box of silver and papers under Antonia's bed.
(b) He asks Antonia to stay with her family.
(c) He tells Antonia he is leaving his wife.
(d) He kisses Antonia.
11. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(b) His wife
(c) Mrs. Harling
(d) Jim's grandmother
12. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
(a) The Burdens' old farm
(b) The river
(c) Mr. Shimerda's grave site
(d) The spot where Jim killed the rattlesnake
13. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
(a) His grandmother
(d) His wife
14. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
15. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
(a) To sew for her marriage
(b) To earn extra money
(c) To plan her wedding
(d) To ask for marital advice
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
2. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
3. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
4. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
5. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)