|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) His love for Antonia
(b) His inadequate public school education
(c) Mr. Shimerda's death
(d) Life on his grandparents' farm
2. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(b) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(c) He teaches him Greek.
(d) He keeps him company.
3. Who does Jim see a photograph of while waiting for his grandparents?
(c) The Shimerdas
(d) Antonia's baby
4. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They do not approve of the dances.
(b) They believe the dances are harmless.
(c) They are unaware of the dances.
(d) They encourage him to have an active social life.
5. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
(a) Anton Jelinek's cousin
(b) Larry Donovan
(c) Anton Jelinek
6. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
7. How does Wick Cutter react when he finds Jim in his home?
(a) He knows Jim is trying to protect Antonia.
(b) He demands to see Antonia.
(c) He throws him out of the house.
(d) He beats him.
8. Where does Jim often meet Lena?
(a) At the library
(b) At a restaurant
(c) At his apartment
(d) At her dress shop
9. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
(a) San Francisco
(c) New York City
(d) Black Hawk
10. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(b) Black Hawk
(c) Salt Lake City
(d) San Francisco
11. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
(a) Antonia asks him to stop attending the dances.
(b) His grandmother believes the dances are disgraceful.
(c) He is embarrassed after kissing Antonia.
(d) He does not enjoy the dances.
12. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
13. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
(a) Living a moral life
(b) Mr. Cutter's comfort
(c) Attending dances and having a social life
(d) Making money
14. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Two starcrossed lovers
(b) Two lovers who die
(c) Unrequited love
(d) Two lovers who quarrel
15. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She is uncomfortable.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
2. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
3. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
4. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
5. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)