|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(a) Black Hawk
(b) San Francisco
(c) Salt Lake City
2. Who does Jim see a photograph of while waiting for his grandparents?
(b) Antonia's baby
(c) The Shimerdas
3. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
4. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Jim's grandfather
5. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
(a) She was difficult to get along with.
(b) She had a wild spirit.
(c) She was beautiful and well liked.
(d) She was shy and withdrawn.
6. Where does Jim often meet Lena?
(a) At the library
(b) At her dress shop
(c) At his apartment
(d) At a restaurant
7. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(b) His grandparents
(c) The Polish violin teacher
8. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It returned to Bohemia.
(b) It is in limbo.
(c) It went to Heaven.
(d) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
9. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
(b) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(c) They both cry at the end of the play.
(d) They are both shocked by its content.
10. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Wick's infidelity
(b) The fate of their property after their deaths
(c) Their differing personalities
(d) Wick's obsession with Antonia
11. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The planting of the wheat fields
(b) The threshing of the wheat fields
(c) The harvest of the wheat fields
(d) The baling of hay
12. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
(b) She angers him
(c) He wants to be with her for eternity
(d) He has had contempt for her for years
13. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
14. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They do not approve of the dances.
(b) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(c) They believe the dances are harmless.
(d) They are unaware of the dances.
15. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
(a) He knows all of the classic works of literature.
(b) He speaks poetically when excited.
(c) He is well versed in Greek.
(d) He is a talented writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
2. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
3. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
4. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
5. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)