|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposes to Lena several times?
(b) The Polish violin teacher
(c) Colonel Raleigh
(d) Gaston Cleric
2. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
(b) They can both take classes at Harvard.
(c) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
(d) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
3. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
(a) He will return to Black Hawk to live.
(b) He will never forget her.
(c) He will visit her again.
(d) He will marry her someday.
4. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
(b) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
5. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
(a) So his will will be in effect since he outlived her
(b) He wants to be with her for eternity
(c) He has had contempt for her for years
(d) She angers him
6. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(b) Her father
(d) Her father and Jim
7. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It returned to Bohemia.
(b) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(c) It went to Heaven.
(d) It is in limbo.
8. Who appears at Jim's door as he is contemplating Virgil's words?
(a) Larry Donovan
(b) Gaston Cleric
(c) Lena Linguard
9. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Have their picture taken
(b) Take his picture
(c) Write their wills
(d) Record their family stories
10. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
(a) Anton Jelinek
(c) Larry Donovan
(d) Anton Jelinek's cousin
11. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
(a) Attending dances and having a social life
(b) Making money
(c) Living a moral life
(d) Mr. Cutter's comfort
12. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They do not approve of the dances.
(b) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(c) They are unaware of the dances.
(d) They believe the dances are harmless.
13. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
(a) To collect elder with Antonia and her friends
(b) To visit the Shimerdas
(c) To visit friends in Virginia
(d) To visit Mr. Shimerda's grave
14. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
(a) Mr. Shimerda's grave site
(b) The Burdens' old farm
(c) The river
(d) The spot where Jim killed the rattlesnake
15. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
(a) He is embarrassed after kissing Antonia.
(b) Antonia asks him to stop attending the dances.
(c) He does not enjoy the dances.
(d) His grandmother believes the dances are disgraceful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
2. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
3. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
4. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
5. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)