|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
(a) To sew for her marriage
(b) To ask for marital advice
(c) To earn extra money
(d) To plan her wedding
2. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(a) His blessing
(b) Family heirlooms
3. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It went to Heaven.
(b) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(c) It is in limbo.
(d) It returned to Bohemia.
4. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She does not want to upset him.
(b) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(c) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(d) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
5. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
6. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) They attended a dance together.
(b) They attended the same church.
(c) Her mother worked for her father's family.
(d) Her father worked for her mother's family.
7. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
(a) He needs to marry a country girl.
(b) He is too romantic.
(c) He is in love with Antonia.
(d) He is too focused on his studies.
8. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Take his picture
(b) Write their wills
(c) Record their family stories
(d) Have their picture taken
9. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
(a) The town is desolate and run down.
(b) Few of his old friends recognize him.
(c) Many of his friends have died or or have moved.
(d) His grandparents no longer live there.
10. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
(a) Attending dances and having a social life
(b) Mr. Cutter's comfort
(c) Living a moral life
(d) Making money
11. What did Wick Cutter do to trick his wife?
(a) He put her on the wrong train home.
(b) He ran away with their possessions.
(c) He left her in Omaha.
(d) He gave the deed to their house to Antonia.
12. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
(a) The presence of the Spanish language
(b) A Spanish sword found in the area
(c) Spanish coins found in the area
(d) Spanish horses.
13. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
14. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
(a) San Francisco
(b) New York City
(d) Black Hawk
15. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
(a) He will return to Black Hawk to live.
(b) He will visit her again.
(c) He will marry her someday.
(d) He will never forget her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
2. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
3. With whom is Wick Cutter constantly in conflict?
4. How many years pass before Jim visits Antonia again?
5. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)