|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
(a) To Lena's dress shop
(b) On long walks
(c) To theatre shows
(d) To dinner
2. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
(a) With Gaston Cleric
(b) In rooms he rents from an elderly couple
(c) In a hotel
(d) With his grandparents
3. Who appears at Jim's door as he is contemplating Virgil's words?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(b) Larry Donovan
(c) Lena Linguard
4. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(b) They do not approve of the dances.
(c) They are unaware of the dances.
(d) They believe the dances are harmless.
5. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At Antonia's farm
(b) In Black Hawk
(c) At his grandparents' old farm
(d) In the pastures
6. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It went to Heaven.
(b) It is in limbo.
(c) It returned to Bohemia.
(d) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
7. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Their differing personalities
(b) The fate of their property after their deaths
(c) Wick's infidelity
(d) Wick's obsession with Antonia
8. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
(b) A watch
(c) A book
(d) A silk umbrella
9. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(a) San Francisco
(c) Black Hawk
(d) Salt Lake City
10. Who proposes to Lena several times?
(a) Colonel Raleigh
(b) Gaston Cleric
(c) The Polish violin teacher
11. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is cool and distant.
(b) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
(c) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(d) He complains about his life choices.
12. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(c) He has no intentions.
13. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He teaches him Greek.
(b) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(c) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(d) He keeps him company.
14. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To the market
(b) To a theatre show
(c) To visit Jim's grandparents
(d) To a carnival
15. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
2. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
3. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
4. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
5. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)