|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents have passed away.
(b) His parents have divorced.
(c) His parents are unable to care for him.
(d) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered the best in the area.
(d) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
3. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both speak Greek.
(b) They both appreciate beautiful women.
(c) They both revere small towns.
(d) They are both poets.
4. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) Jim's grandfather
5. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
(a) Confused and frustrated
(b) Excited and alive
(c) Peaceful and contented
(d) Anxious and unsettled
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
2. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
3. How long has Jim been living with his grandparents at the start of Book 2?
4. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
5. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)