|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Akiko able to find acceptance?
2. What does a kind nurse suggest about Akiko's injuries?
3. Where is Sloan performing?
4. What has Oh discovered about the family they are interviewing?
5. What does Dyann send to Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the cruel practices that happen when cows are slaughtered?
2. How does Jane help Akiko start her life in America?
3. How does Jane begin to see John?
4. Why is Jane happy about Suzie Flowers?
5. What do Jane and Akiko have in common?
6. What is the newest show that Jane would like to produce and what will this show Japan?
7. When they discuss Dave's background, what does the crew learn?
8. What is astounding concerning the Dunn's young daughter?
9. Although Akiko is not yet in the clear, what does she feel about her life?
10. How does Gale react when Jane tells him what the hormones have done to his body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the author, how are Japanese wives expected to act?
Why does Akiko increasingly feel the need to always please everyone around her?
Is it because of the way Japanese women are raised?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ruth Ozeki portray Japanese men? Japanese business men?
Is she using a stereotypical model that she knows?
Is she too quick to judge this group of men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Akiko and Jane switch places as the novel progresses.
At what point in the novel do the two characters swap places?
Towards the end of the novel, how have they equalized into positive outcomes?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)