|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a clinic near her mother's home, what does Jane learn?
2. What does the end of each episode of My American Wife! have?
3. What is Christina's favorite meal?
4. What will this person cook?
5. What is the only good thing about the visit to the doctor and the resulting fight with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader begin to suspect about Jane?
2. Ultimately, what does Jane want to show on My American Wife!?
3. What is the good news concerning the Bukowskys?
4. Why does Jane hesitate to send Suzie the tape?
5. When Purcell stops eating chicken parts, what happens?
6. Why does Akiko's husband want her to watch the show, My American Wife!?
7. Just as Jane thinks she is getting herself into a serious relationship with Sloan, what happens?
8. Why did the FDA decide to outlaw this drug for animals?
9. Because the author is like the novel's main character, what distinct qualities does she bring to her protagonist?
10. After the initial happiness of getting a new job, why is Jane reluctant to take the position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Sloan.
-How does this character change throughout the novel?
-Has the character grown into a man?
-Name some roadblocks to his journey.
Essay Topic 2
What is the stereotypical ideal of the perfect American housewife? How does Jane work to break this image for both Japanese and Americans?
Are many Americans slow to let go of the ideal?
Is this hesitation seen in America's reluctance to legalize same sex marriage?
Essay Topic 3
This novel places a lot of importance on strong female relationships.
Describe the following relationships and why they are necessary for the characters involved:
-Akiko and Jane
-Lara and Dyann
-Lara, Dyann, and Jane
-Jane and her mother
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)