|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following will most likely override a person's training?
2. It is important for a patient to learn how to combine possibilities with which of the following:
3. Through therapy Erickson believes that people are able to overcome a:
4. Surprisingly, Erickson did just the opposite of what one might think. According to the text, Erickson did not tell the man to:
5. Every time Erickson spoke to the boy he encouraged him to increase which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one tool that often helps the therapy along, even when the patient is resistant?
2. Reframing can occur in many different ways. Explain one of the ways in which Erickson uses reframing to help a man who wanted to stop drinking.
3. What is the doctor's opinion on the difference between theory and practice? What ensures the best end result?
4. What is the best way for a person to make accomplishments in his/her life?
5. Describe the example of this tool as it involved the allergist and heroin addict.
6. What are the doctor's thoughts about experiential learning?
7. It is stated that there's a lot to be said for stubbornness. What is the example used regarding stubbornness and illness?
8. How can a person learn from the behaviors and actions of children?
9. Explain how Frankl used the method of reframing in his daily life.
10. Recap Erickson's example of experiential learning and instinct.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many famous psychiatrists, hypnotherapists and psychologists have tackled the issue of changing negative behaviors in patients. List at least five famous doctors and/or cases in which negative and/or dangerous behaviors were addressed and "cured" by the techniques referenced by Erickson.
Essay Topic 2
What is mirroring? How is it done? What is its purpose? In what situations would mirroring be the best or the only technique that will be effective? Who is most likely to mirror another? Give examples in which mirroring would work for you. Write out a detailed scenario and include mirroring in the conversation. Did it work? If not, what happened?
Essay Topic 3
There is much written about the trance state and its various stages and uses. What are Erickson's beliefs and views on the trance state? What are the various levels of trance? What is the difference between a meditative state and a trance state? Which is more effective: a self-induced trance or one that is guided? Research and write a 1000 word essay on the use of trances and how they affect popular culture, including celebrities.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)