|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last person referred to in the text was a woman who indulged in what problem?
2. The man was also an addict. To which drug was the man addicted?
3. If people can remember to think like children, they may be able to recover their lost:
4. According to the text, which of the following is vital to accomplishing things in one's life?
5. The author states that there is a lot to be said for which kind of learning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how one of Erickson's techniques helped a man to overcome a fear of walking across ice.
2. Describe the story of the woman who continually sabotaged herself and her efforts to lose weight.
3. It is stated that there's a lot to be said for stubbornness. What is the example used regarding stubbornness and illness?
4. Who is Victor Frankl? What makes his story an unusual one?
5. What is the best way for a person to make accomplishments in his/her life?
6. What did Erickson mean when he said that direct therapy may not always work? What can make it work?
7. What are the doctor's thoughts about experiential learning?
8. Why is it stated that children are like empty slates? What does that mean?
9. Discuss one of Erickson's favorite therapeutic tools regarding everyday observations.
10. Explain the lesson learned by Erickson in regards to people wanting to change their habits and behaviors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Erickson's views on rapport and the benefits of attentiveness. How are they related? Why are these things important? Are these skills one must learn or are they innate? If they are learned, how does one develop the skill? If innate, what causes one to know when and how to do them? Give an example of when developing rapport or paying attention has benefited you. Give a second example of an incident in which the skills would have been beneficial if you had used one or both of them.
Essay Topic 2
There is much written about the trance state and its various stages and uses. What are Erickson's beliefs and views on the trance state? What are the various levels of trance? What is the difference between a meditative state and a trance state? Which is more effective: a self-induced trance or one that is guided? Research and write a 1000 word essay on the use of trances and how they affect popular culture, including celebrities.
Essay Topic 3
Self-sabotage is very common in patients, particularly those who are attempting to make major life changes and/or abandoning a certain behavior or action. Give examples of self-sabotage. Did anyone in the text practice self-sabotage? How did Erickson deal with it? Was the problem resolved? Why did it happen in the first place? Write a 500 word essay on how self-sabotage has affected you.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)