|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through therapy Erickson believes that people are able to overcome a:
2. If people can remember to think like children, they may be able to recover their lost:
3. Hopefully, a patient will do what when participating in treatment?
4. Every time Erickson spoke to the boy he encouraged him to increase which of the following:
5. How long was the couple married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the example used regarding the fact that some people disagree just to disagree?
2. Why is it stated that children are like empty slates? What does that mean?
3. Recap Erickson's example of experiential learning and instinct.
4. Discuss one of Erickson's favorite therapeutic tools regarding everyday observations.
5. Describe the story of the woman who continually sabotaged herself and her efforts to lose weight.
6. According to Erickson, there is a particular way to overcome limitations. What is the method?
7. Explain how one of Erickson's techniques helped a man to overcome a fear of walking across ice.
8. Describe the story about Erickson and the athlete and how Erickson's work helped to vastly improve the young man's performance.
9. Discuss the last case in the book about the woman who ignored her children. How did Erickson help her?
10. How can a person learn from the behaviors and actions of children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Automatic writing is one way in which a person can uncover unconscious or subconscious facts, behaviors, thoughts and feelings. What is the difference between unconscious and subconscious realizations? Have you ever experienced either? If so, what? As a class, choose a topic that might be well served by being address by automatic writing. Write at least one page using automatic writing. What was revealed? Would you recommend the technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Erickson states that it is not always necessary to solve an entire problem. Oftentimes, it is possible to solve 2/3 of the problem and the rest will work itself out. Do you believe that? Explain. How could it be possible for the remaining 1/3 to resolve itself? Does it get resolved or does it become a non-issue, get ignored, or is it pushed back into the subconscious to be revisited at another time?
Essay Topic 3
Many famous psychiatrists, hypnotherapists and psychologists have tackled the issue of changing negative behaviors in patients. List at least five famous doctors and/or cases in which negative and/or dangerous behaviors were addressed and "cured" by the techniques referenced by Erickson.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)