|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second witness called by Campbell?
2. Anna leaves the courthouse with whom?
3. Who tells Anna that Santa is not real?
4. Surprisingly, this character stands up in court to speak for the petition.
5. On a Fitzgerald family trip, whose eyes swell shut from poison ivy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the decision pulls Fitzgerald family closer? Why or why not?
2. To what does Sara compare her decision about Anna being Kate's donor?
3. Why does Izzy think there is hope for Campbell as he leaves with Julia for dinner?
4. What is the focus of Campbell's line of questioning when Sara is on the witness stand?
5. Why do Anna and Campbell laugh during the trial?
6. Why does Jesse start the fires?
7. What does Sara say about being a mother to Anna in her closing statement?
8. Who says it's not suicide if you are already dying? What is this in response to?
9. When Sara whispers "we're going to lose her" to Brian, why is she talking about either Anna or Kate?
10. Why does Anna think Campbell is invisible as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your reactions to the situations presented about who influences Anna to bring a lawsuit; why Campbell really has a service dog; the identity of the arsonist; and Kate's desire to just die?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the story, explain the significance of the rain to Campbell, Jesse, Anna, Brian, and Sara. Support your responses with details from the story. How does the rain signify conclusion/closure for the fire theme that is used throughout the story? Symbolism is something the author uses to represent certain ideas or thoughts. In the story, what does rain symbolize? Use story details to support your statement. Is the symbol used destructively or constructively, meaning does it bring life, bring hope, bring hopelessness or despair?
Essay Topic 3
Anna and Kate both go on dates. Discuss Julia's reaction to Anna's date, and Sara's reaction to Kate's. Give a basis for each reaction from the story.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)