|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the idea to have a child to help Kate come from.
2. What does Sara call the "steps" she uses to get Anna across Kate's half of their bedroom for lunch?
3. What is Kate's first word?
4. What Judge is assigned to Anna's case?
5. Who thinks darkness is relative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna polishing Campbell's door knob?
2. Why does Anna compare water evaporating to a soul?
3. Kate and Anna are training for the Guinness book of world records. Why do they end up talking about death?
4. What's it like when Sara takes Kate to the hospital where she is diagnosed with leukemia for the first time?
5. Why does Brian tell Anna that there is an extra bed at the fire station?
6. Why does Kate make her bed before going to the hospital and why is Sara surprised by this?
7. Why does Anna feel she is never sick enough?
8. How does Sara feel when she is served papers by the sheriff about Anna's lawsuit?
9. Sara is at the hair salon, when asked about a baby name. Why hasn't she picked one out? What is the reason for the pregnancy?
10. Why does Jesse steal and drive a dump truck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Let's take a look at the Fitzgerald Family dynamics. What is Jesse's life like before Kate is diagnosed with leukemia? What changes? What is Anna's life like when Kate is well; when Kate is sick? Discuss the relationship changes that occur during the story between Anna and Jesse, Anna and Kate, Jesse and Kate. How does Kate's illness affect her parents' marriage? Give details to support each response.
Essay Topic 2
Today, most children file for emancipation for financial or educational reasons. In the story, Anna wants medical emancipation. Describe what medical emancipation means in this story. Now discuss the different views on why the petition is granted, why the petition is not be granted? Write an additional paragraph why you support or do not support the petition and why.
Essay Topic 3
"Ten years from now, I'd like to be Kate's sister." Besides the obvious, discuss what Anna's statement after the courts adjournment means, based on what you read in the story.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)