"Words" - "Efo"
• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Braithwaite, Oyinkan. My Sister, the Serial Killer. Doubleday, 2018. Kindle edition.
• My Sister, the Serial Killer is a satirical thriller set in Lagos, Nigeria.
• The novel is comprised of 76 brief chapters, each named in reference to events or characters in the chapter.
• The narrative is related from the first-person perspective of the novel’s protagonist, Korede. With the exception of a few flashbacks to Korede’s childhood, the story is related in the present tense.
• The first chapter, “Words,” plunges the reader directly into the story with only two sentences comprising the chapter: “Ayoola summons me with these words—Korede, I killed him. I had hoped I would never hear those words again” (19).
• In “Bleach,” Korede describes her arrival at a recently remodeled apartment where she scrubs blood from the bathroom, noting...
This section contains 4,972 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)