|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "I Learn to Season My Food," what type of trap did Sam check?
2. In I Find a Real Man," what was Sam's favorite tea?
3. What type of wood did Sam use that produced a tarry smoke and ruined the fish he was trying to preserve?
4. What type of fish did Sam catch after he left the library in "The King's Provider"?
5. When did Sam come across the tree and make a home inside it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sam disagree with most people who said that trout were hard to catch?
2. What did a book that Sam read suggest to do to find edible plants?
3. What did Sam find that seemed to be the foundation of the old house and what did he find there?
4. Why did Sam build a house that could not be seen?
5. In "The Old, Old Tree," how did Sam boil water and an egg?
6. Why did Sam think the fire warden came to his tree home area in "The First Man Who Was After Me"?
7. Who was Bando and how did he happen to be sleeping in the woods?
8. How did Sam make salt in "I Learn to Season My Food"?
9. In "The King's Provider," what did Sam study at the library?
10. How did Sam get a falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Sam states that he is not a runaway any longer. Why isn't Sam a runaway by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Sam was lonely at times. How did Sam deal with his loneliness?
Essay Topic 3
From September on, everything in the forest seemed to be preparing for winter. How did the forest creatures prepare for winter?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)