|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the old lay in "I Meet One of My Own Kind" say killed chickens in the area?
(d) Mr. Riley's three-legged dog.
2. How much of a hike was it up the mountain for hikers who wanted to see the gorge?
(a) 4 miles.
(b) 8 miles.
(c) 3 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
3. Where did Sam's dad try to run away to, but got scared and went back home?
(a) New York.
(b) Boat bound for Singapore.
(c) Boat bound for Hong Kong.
4. What was the date at the beginning of "I Hole Up in a Snowstorm"?
(a) January 122.
(b) December 4 or 5.
(c) January 1 or 2.
(d) December 12.
5. What did Sam's father used to tell him marked the northern border of Gribley's land?
(a) A stone wall.
(b) A carved stone.
(c) Oak with Gribley carved on it.
(d) Beech with Gribley carved on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would Sam boil mussels before he would eat them?
2. When Sam climbed down from the falcon nest with a baby falcon, where did he put Frightful?
3. In "I Get Started on This Venture," what does Sam describe using for bait to catch fish?
4. How many days did Sam have to let a deer skin steep in tannic acid in "Frightful Learns Her ABCs"?
5. What type of wood did Sam use that produced a tarry smoke and ruined the fish he was trying to preserve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sam build a house that could not be seen?
2. When Sam left New York, what did he take with him?
3. How did Sam make salt in "I Learn to Season My Food"?
4. Who was Bando and how did he happen to be sleeping in the woods?
5. What did a book that Sam read suggest to do to find edible plants?
6. Once Sam's home was done, what did he do on warm evenings?
7. How did Sam make a home on his mountain?
8. What did Miss Turner do for Sam before he left in "The King's Provider?"
9. How did Sam get the first fish he caught cooked and learn how to start a fire?
10. How did Sam get a falcon?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)