Chapters One through Four
• During the summer of 1985, a young man driving from New York to Johnson City, Tennessee gets sick.
• He is taken to the Johnson City Medical Center where Claire Bellamy, a nurse, realizes he is seriously ill and calls for help.
• A pulmonary doctor, Ray, believes that the young man has AIDS and the staff is terrified of being exposed to the disease.
• After the young man dies, discussion centers around what to do with the ventilator, but personnel believe this is an isolated incident for a rural city like Johnson City since AIDS is a big city problem.
• Abraham Verghese discusses how he came to Johnson City.
• Verghese's parents are from India, and they met while teaching physics in Ethiopia.
• Abraham studied in Ethiopia, India, and America before completing his degree in the United States.
• While in India, Abraham met and married Rajani Chacko...
This section contains 3,914 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)