|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Enishte's murderer steal from the house?
2. Why does the murderer tell his companions at the coffeehouse two stories?
3. Which of the following characters escapes the coffeehouse raid?
4. Why does Olive stop chasing Stork?
5. What does the murderer tell his fellow diner that knows nothing of art, that he is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esther tell Black?
2. What does the Commander of the Imperial Guard do to Black?
3. How does Shekure react to Black after she dreams about her father?
4. What do Black and Master Osman do to help them figure out who drew all of the illustrations?
5. Where does the pageboy lead Master Osman?
6. What does Osman wonder about the suspects of the murder and why does he wonder about this?
7. What does Hasan threaten and what happens while they are arguing?
8. Why can't Master Osman give his full attention to the task of looking for the illustrations?
9. What realization do Black and the other artists come to as they reminisce?
10. How does Esther feel about the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Master Osman looks forward to becoming blind and dying as gifts from God. Do the other characters in the novel feel the same way? How do you feel about this belief? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are the various settings important throughout the novel? Could the themes and actions of the novel be as well developed in any setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of the storyteller and their stories throughout the novel? Do you believe these inclusions were important or not important to the overall work? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)