|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Black been back in Istanbul?
2. What plans do the three officials make?
3. Which of the following characters escapes the coffeehouse raid?
4. What does Shekure ask Black to do in regard to her boys?
5. What does Shekure tell her boys about her new husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Commander of the Imperial Guard do to Black?
2. What stories does Master Osman tell and what is his purpose in looking at the books?
3. What does Osman wonder about the suspects of the murder and why does he wonder about this?
4. What returns for the funeral and how is it described?
5. Where does the pageboy lead Master Osman?
6. What do Black and the other artists do to the murderer?
7. What realization do Black and the other artists come to as they reminisce?
8. Where does Black take Shekure, Hayriye and Esther?
9. Why can't Master Osman give his full attention to the task of looking for the illustrations?
10. What do Butterfly and Black find when they enter the coffeehouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shekure and Black's relationship was compounded by complicated marriage rules. Describe these rules. What do these rules add to the story? How do you feel about these rules?
Essay Topic 2
How did Olive escape from the other artists? Do you think they tried with all of their best skills to stop him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the murderer's conscience seems to be in turmoil? Why do you think this is the case? Do you think the turmoil is justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)