|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Chelebi?
2. What does Esther look for between the two murders?
3. Which of the following characters escapes the coffeehouse raid?
4. What did Enishte's murderer steal from the house?
5. What is unique about the missing illustration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Master Osman give his full attention to the task of looking for the illustrations?
2. What do Black and the other artists do to the murderer?
3. What is Butterfly disappointed about and what is he excited about?
4. Where does Black take Shekure, Hayriye and Esther?
5. What does the Commander of the Imperial Guard do to Black?
6. How does Esther feel about the funeral?
7. What specifically about the portrait the king requested is life like and how is it told that it is life like?
8. What stories does Master Osman tell and what is his purpose in looking at the books?
9. What two ways does Stork use to draw his horse?
10. Where does the pageboy lead Master Osman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the actions of the characters symbolize the progressive style of art? Do you think this was intentional on the part of the author? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think was the purpose of the horse that was so realistically drawn that the other horse wanted to mount it? How does this add to the theme of idolatry? How does this play into the discussion of realistic pictures?
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose of the storyteller and their stories throughout the novel? Do you believe these inclusions were important or not important to the overall work? Why do you feel that way?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)