|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which object in the illustration can't Black and Master Osman determine who made it?
2. What happens when Black returns from the funeral?
3. What does Master Osman do until the Sultan arrives?
4. Who does Black have to work with to solve the murder?
5. What does Black find in Olive's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Black and Master Osman do to help them figure out who drew all of the illustrations?
2. What does Black tell the clerk at the Head Treasurer's chamber and what does he think might happen if it doesn't go well?
3. What does Butterfly explain while Black searches for the illustrations?
4. How does Esther feel about the funeral?
5. What stories does Master Osman tell and what is his purpose in looking at the books?
6. What is Butterfly disappointed about and what is he excited about?
7. Why can't Master Osman give his full attention to the task of looking for the illustrations?
8. What does Hasan threaten and what happens while they are arguing?
9. What two ways does Stork use to draw his horse?
10. What does the Commander of the Imperial Guard do to Black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel there is a continuous conflict between art as a representation of meaning and art for its own sake. Which side of this conflict do your beliefs fall that art should be? Why do you feel this way? Where do you think Black stands on this issue?
Essay Topic 2
How do Shekure's feelings develop over the course of the book? Why do you think they change? Do you think you would have acted the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of red in the novel? What descriptors would us use to describe red? Why did you choose those descriptors?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)