|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shekure say will prevent her from marrying Black?
2. Whose approval does the judge say Shekure needs before he can grant the divorce?
3. What signals Esther that Shekure wants her to leave?
4. What is the topic of the list of things that Shekure gives Black?
5. What does the pickle seller complain about to Black?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Esther's first stop before delivering Black's letter to Shekure and what is the tone of Black's letter?
2. What does Enishte wonder about Shekure and Black?
3. What does Butterfly show to Black and what is it?
4. What does Shekure give Black and yet still insist upon before they can be together?
5. What are the illustration techniques a blend of?
6. What is in Hasan's letter?
7. What does Esther believe about the letter that she has just delivered to Black and how does she explain her reasoning?
8. How did Enishte and Black meet and what caused their relationship to end?
9. What does Shekure request must happen before she will marry him and how does Black ensure it happens?
10. What happens after Orhan sees Black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the murderer's conscience seems to be in turmoil? Why do you think this is the case? Do you think the turmoil is justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are the various settings important throughout the novel? Could the themes and actions of the novel be as well developed in any setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the actions of the characters symbolize the progressive style of art? Do you think this was intentional on the part of the author? If so, why? If not, why not?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)