|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shekure's father respond to her inquiry about the meeting between him and Black?
2. What is the only thing that Shekure says she thinks about in her letter?
3. How has Hasan ruined his chances with Shekure?
4. In what time period was this story set?
5. How does Enishte describe Master Osman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Orhan sees Black?
2. What does Shekure tell the boys to do and when they don't immediately want to listen what does she tell them?
3. What does the murderer hope will happen if Enishte fears him?
4. What happens when Shevket corners Black outside the outhouse?
5. What does Shekure suspect Esther is doing and how does she propose to deal with it?
6. What does Butterfly show to Black and what is it?
7. What does Elegant think his friends and family are thinking he is doing?
8. What is Esther's opinion of young maidens and romance?
9. What do the illustrations show that Enishte shows Black?
10. How does Esther feel when she leaves Hasan's house and why does she feel this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Master Osman looks forward to becoming blind and dying as gifts from God. Do the other characters in the novel feel the same way? How do you feel about this belief? Why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 2
Shekure and Black's relationship was compounded by complicated marriage rules. Describe these rules. What do these rules add to the story? How do you feel about these rules?
Essay Topic 3
What insight does this novel provide about the afterlife in this religion? How does it compare to your own beliefs about the afterlife?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)