|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not true about this novel?
2. What do the others think is wrong with Enishte?
3. Why does the murder draw pictures for the storyteller?
4. What signals Esther that Shekure wants her to leave?
5. What does Elegant want his family to do when they find his murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Esther's opinion of young maidens and romance?
2. What does the murderer hope will happen if Enishte fears him?
3. What is the story of how Black was asked to leave Istanbul?
4. What happens after Orhan sees Black?
5. How does Shekure feel about Black?
6. What does Shekure tell the boys to do and when they don't immediately want to listen what does she tell them?
7. What does Stork believe happens when an illustrator stops aiming for perfection?
8. What does Enishte wonder about Shekure and Black?
9. What are the illustration techniques a blend of?
10. What story does the murderer tell Enishte instead of telling him his agenda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shekure and Black's relationship was compounded by complicated marriage rules. Describe these rules. What do these rules add to the story? How do you feel about these rules?
Essay Topic 2
What is Butterfly's logic to including the color red in his illustrations? Why do you think the masters would not include a dog in the illustrations? Do you agree with this thinking? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of idolatry weaved throughout the novel? Which character seems to be most involved in this theme? Why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)