|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Enishte and the murderer talk about in regard to their art?
2. What does the murderer want Enishte to show him?
3. Where does Shekure want people to think she went when she leaves the house?
4. Why does Enishte say that Black is finishing the book?
5. How does Shekure's father respond to her inquiry about the meeting between him and Black?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orhan recount that Enishte and Black discussed in regard to Elegant and the cause of his murder?
2. What does the murderer hope will happen if Enishte fears him?
3. What does Elegant encourage the faithful to do and how does he do this?
4. What does Shekure request must happen before she will marry him and how does Black ensure it happens?
5. What does Enishte tell the murderer is the third stage of patronage of the arts?
6. What are the illustration techniques a blend of?
7. What does the letter to Black say?
8. How did Enishte and Black meet and what caused their relationship to end?
9. Who does Esther assume the letter is for and why?
10. How does Shekure feel about Black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Shekure's feelings develop over the course of the book? Why do you think they change? Do you think you would have acted the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are the various settings important throughout the novel? Could the themes and actions of the novel be as well developed in any setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author of the novel incorporate the theme of joy of seeing being more important than the joy of living into the novel? Do you agree with this theme? Why or why not?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)