|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Elegant do when he was alive?
2. When does the Sultan want the Book of Festivities completed?
3. What does Shevket bring back to Black?
4. What is the topic of the list of things that Shekure gives Black?
5. What causes Shekure to stop spying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What premise does Hayriye give for leaving and what does Orhan know about the real reason?
2. Why is the proxy judge tense for a moment before granting the divorce?
3. How does the Imam respond to Black's request about where to testify?
4. What is Esther's opinion of young maidens and romance?
5. What does the letter to Black say?
6. How does Esther feel when she leaves Hasan's house and why does she feel this way?
7. What is in Hasan's letter?
8. What does Stork believe happens when an illustrator stops aiming for perfection?
9. What does Shekure give Black and yet still insist upon before they can be together?
10. Who does Esther assume the letter is for and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author of the novel incorporate the theme of joy of seeing being more important than the joy of living into the novel? Do you agree with this theme? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the murderer fear change? Do you believe he justifies killing so that there will be no change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do Shekure's feelings develop over the course of the book? Why do you think they change? Do you think you would have acted the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)