|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Esther curious about?
(a) The rumors about Enishte's death.
(b) What happened to the final illustration.
(c) What will happen between her and Hayriye.
(d) What will happen to Black.
2. What does Black find in Olive's home?
(a) Osman's possessions.
(b) Drawings of the horse.
(c) Illustrations the storyteller had used.
(d) Elegant's drawing.
3. Who comes to summon Master Osman?
4. Why can't Black and the dwarf share Osman's joy about the books they are examining?
(a) They are busy looking themselves.
(b) They think he is losing his mind.
(c) They don't appreciate art or history like he does.
(d) They are not sure what he is talking about.
5. How does Hasan hope to prove his innocence?
(a) By being tortured.
(b) By finishing the book.
(c) By going to the judge.
(d) By taking care of Shekure.
6. What does Master Osman sense as he is looking at the work of Bihzad?
(a) That he knows who the murderer is.
(b) That he will soon go blind.
(c) That Black has found the answer.
(d) That Elegant's spirit has returned.
7. What does the murderer plan to do next?
(a) Answer a summons to work on an important book.
(b) Kill all of the poeple who have just found out what he did.
(c) To leave and hide somewhere until he can escape.
(d) Go and turn himself in to the Head Treasurer.
8. Why does Esther have Black stop the attack and Orhan open the door?
(a) Shekure has told her to open the door.
(b) She is afraid of Black.
(c) She fears revenge from Hasan.
(d) She wants Black to protect her.
9. What do Black and Master Osman find when they examine the horses drawn for the contest?
(a) They are of a much poorer quality than the other drawings.
(b) No one seemed to follow the directions.
(c) Osman could no longer see and had gone blind.
(d) None have the strange nostrils.
10. What regrets does Master Osman have about his own workshop after looking at Bihzad's work?
(a) That his workshop was unable to finish their work.
(b) That his workshop had not employed Bihzad.
(c) That his workshop never came close to that quality.
(d) That his workshop will now have to end.
11. What plans do the three officials make?
(a) To dissolve Black's marriage.
(b) To trap the murderer.
(c) To search for the missing illustrations.
(d) To deny the death of Enishte.
12. What is the murderer drawing a picture of that he becomes frustrated with and erases before he leaves to wander around again?
(b) God's vision.
(d) Master Osman.
13. What does Black threaten Butterfly with?
(a) A daggar.
(b) Blinding him with the plume.
(c) Telling his wife that he is the murderer.
(d) Turning him over to the Head Treasurer.
14. What does Master Osman do with the plume needle?
(a) He puts it in his pocket.
(b) He says this is what the murderer used to kill Elegant.
(c) He pokes himself in the eyes with it.
(d) He turns it over to the dwarf.
15. What happens when Black returns from the funeral?
(a) A royal page summons him to the palace.
(b) Shekure tells him she wants a divorce.
(c) A page summons him to the Head Treasurer.
(d) Master Osman is waiting for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters escapes the coffeehouse raid?
2. Which of the following characters accompanies Master Osman and Black into the Inner Treasury?
3. What does Shekure tell her boys about her new husband?
4. How does Master Osman think of his miniaturists?
5. What does Shekure dream about?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)