|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the others think is wrong with Enishte?
(a) He has fallen.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is dying.
2. What does Enishte hope to share with Black?
(a) Love of books.
(b) Secrets to book illustrating.
(c) Wisdom from the ages.
(d) Spiritual awareness.
3. Which of the following is not true about this novel?
(a) There is a mystery within the novel.
(b) It is an historically accurate book.
(c) It contains a love story.
(d) The setting involves lots of religion.
4. Why is Shekure in an awkward situation?
(a) She must live with her husband's father and brother while he is missing.
(b) She wants a divorce but is afraid to ask for it.
(c) She is in love with two different men.
(d) She knows her father will soon be dead.
5. Why does Enishte say that Black is finishing the book?
(a) Because of the murder.
(b) Because he will marry his daughter.
(c) Because he doesn't trust anyone else.
(d) Because he is the best illustrator.
6. Who do Esther and Black talk about?
(a) Master Osman.
7. How many stages does Enishte indicate there are for the love of art by its patrons?
8. Whose approval does the judge say Shekure needs before he can grant the divorce?
(a) Her own.
9. What is Shekure waiting for?
(a) Her husband to return from the war.
(b) Enishte to allow her to move away.
(c) Black to return to their village.
(d) Her child to be born.
10. Why does the murder draw pictures for the storyteller?
(a) So that he can watch for his next victim.
(b) So that others won't accuse him of being conceited.
(c) So that he fits in with the others that are present.
(d) So that he can cover up his crime.
11. Where does Shekure find her father's body?
(a) In his workshop.
(b) Outside on the lawn.
(c) Lying on the porch.
(d) In her room.
12. What finalizes the love letter effect according to Esther?
(a) The perfume scent.
(b) The symbol of a kiss.
(c) The use of formal stationary.
(d) The enclosed illustration.
13. Who does the murderer think about killing next?
14. Why does Black try to keep the wedding secret?
(a) So Shekure will not be shamed.
(b) To protect them from Hasan and his men.
(c) To make it happen before others realize Enishte is dead.
(d) To get things done more quickly.
15. In addition to the Book of Festivities, what does the Sultan know the others are working on?
(a) A new design for the coins.
(b) The murder of Elegant.
(c) Their own individual projects.
(d) A secret book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Black want Shekure to know?
2. Why does Black believe there is rioting at the Sultan's palace?
3. Who does Shekure ask to deliver the next letter to Black?
4. What does Esther do before she takes Black's letter to Shekure?
5. How has Hasan ruined his chances with Shekure?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)