|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many stages does Enishte indicate there are for the love of art by its patrons?
2. Who does the murderer think about killing next?
3. When are Black and Shekure to marry?
(a) The next week.
(b) That afternoon.
(c) In the morning.
(d) That night.
4. What is Shekure waiting for?
(a) Enishte to allow her to move away.
(b) Black to return to their village.
(c) Her child to be born.
(d) Her husband to return from the war.
5. Why does Black believe there is rioting at the Sultan's palace?
(a) Because there is not enough food to feed the people.
(b) Because the value of money has declined.
(c) Because so many people are disappearing.
(d) Because the Sultan has murdered people.
6. What is Black thinking about as he pretends to listen to Enishte's stories?
(a) When he will be free to write the story.
(b) Who killed Elegant.
(c) What will happen when the story is finished.
(d) Where Shekure is.
7. What does Enishte ask Black to investigate?
(a) How he can increase his profits.
(b) Elegant's disappearance.
(c) What happened to Orhan.
(d) Shekure's husband's whereabouts.
8. What does Olive believe miniaturists aspire to become?
(a) In debt.
9. Which of the following is not true about this novel?
(a) It is an historically accurate book.
(b) It contains a love story.
(c) There is a mystery within the novel.
(d) The setting involves lots of religion.
10. What does Black see when he looks back at the house near the pomegranate tree?
(a) Children watching him ride away.
(b) Enishte watching him carefully.
(c) Elegant's murderer.
(d) His lost love's face.
11. Who do Esther and Black talk about?
(b) Master Osman.
12. Which character offers to go to Hindustan to work on a new book?
(c) Master Osman.
13. What does Stork say that illustrating with skill is the only way to escape?
14. What does Esther do before she takes Black's letter to Shekure?
(a) She visits Hasan.
(b) She goes to the funeral services for Elegant.
(c) She talks to Master Osman.
(d) She stops for nightly prayers.
15. When the storyteller switches to talking about the tree why does he explain that completing the book has become complicated?
(a) Because the librarian was murdered.
(b) Because paper has become difficult to find.
(c) Because the Sultan has declared it illegal to make books.
(d) Because the patron of the book is banished.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman who approaches Black after he leaves Enishte give to him?
2. Why doesn't Enishte want his daughter to leave?
3. What is surprising about Stork's picture which has strayed from the style of the old masters?
4. How does Olive answer the question?
5. What is the topic of the list of things that Shekure gives Black?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)