|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Black try to keep the wedding secret?
(a) To get things done more quickly.
(b) To protect them from Hasan and his men.
(c) So Shekure will not be shamed.
(d) To make it happen before others realize Enishte is dead.
2. What does Elegant want his family to do when they find his murderer?
(a) Take him to a jail.
(b) Torture him.
(c) Banish him from the country.
(d) Kill him.
3. What does Enishte tell Black that the Sultan wants to regain?
(a) Control over his people.
(b) The trust of those that are miniatures.
(c) Management of the money and inflation.
(d) The style of the Franks.
4. What is in Hasan's letter to Shekure?
(a) A threat.
(b) His need for her to marry him.
(c) A commitment.
(d) His understanding of their relationship.
5. What does Black think the story he writes for the strange illustrations will win him?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Elegant's murderer.
6. Who is Sheikh Muhammad of Isfahan?
(a) The next Sultan.
(b) Another murderer.
(c) A wonderful artist.
(d) The narrator in the coffee shop.
7. What is Black thinking about as he pretends to listen to Enishte's stories?
(a) What will happen when the story is finished.
(b) Who killed Elegant.
(c) When he will be free to write the story.
(d) Where Shekure is.
8. Why does Black believe there is rioting at the Sultan's palace?
(a) Because there is not enough food to feed the people.
(b) Because the Sultan has murdered people.
(c) Because the value of money has declined.
(d) Because so many people are disappearing.
9. Why does her son refuse to deliver the letter to Black?
(a) He thinks he killed his father.
(b) He is afraid of Black.
(c) He wants his mother to marry Hasan.
(d) He does not think it is appropriate.
10. What does Black want Shekure to know?
(a) His love for her.
(b) His plans for the investigation.
(c) His desire to run away.
(d) His knowledge of her plans.
11. Where is the soul of Elegant as the story opens?
(d) On earth.
12. Why is it difficult for Esther to read the letter to Black?
(a) She does not speak the same language.
(b) The handwriting is blurred from the water.
(c) She is illiterate.
(d) She cannot read script writing.
13. What is the only thing that Shekure says she thinks about in her letter?
(a) The years Black has been away.
(b) What her father has said about her and Black.
(c) What happened to Elegant.
(d) Her missing husband.
14. When does Shekure indicated she will marry Black?
(a) When she can move back home.
(b) As soon as possible.
(c) After her father dies.
(d) After the book is finished.
15. When does the Sultan want the Book of Festivities completed?
(a) In time for the anniversary of the Hegira.
(b) Before the end of the year.
(c) In time to unveil it at the market.
(d) Before the festival of Shekure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Black suspicious about all three artists?
2. When are Black and Shekure to marry?
3. Who does the murderer think about killing next?
4. What does Shekure do that Esther says further invites love?
5. Where does the murderer go when he feels restless and goes for a walk?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)